Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Responsible?

Rookie

User Info Menu

More often than not, his teams win?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Not being a smartass really...But you said " We all know Tomin brings good things to the table " What exactly...

Offensive stategy ?
    Defense?
    Special teams?
    Clock management?
    In game adjustments?
    Second half adjustments?
    Opening series preparedness?
    Discipline?

What exactly are his strongpoint?
    It's really all of the above. People are down on the team now because they are 1-2-1. In years past he was able to help lead the team to perform better. Let's see what happens.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Got it...The Head Coach gets cut more slack than the owner and the GM..
    classic...

some posters here seem to think tomlin deserves a lifetime contract for winning 1 SB

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think there's any one finger to point at "who" is responsible, I think it's an unfortunate perfect storm of a bunch of things:

1) Ben is getting old, and playing that way more and more each season. He's fading into the sunset, and that's just the way it is.
    2) Tuitt, Heywood, and Hargrave have all gotten fitted for invisibility cloaks. Where are they this season? If they got any bit of pressure on the QB, our defensive backs would look a whole lot better than they do.
    3) Could it be we drafted a bunch of studs in the defensive backfield with IQs about about the same as their wingspan measured in inches? They sure seem confused out there. (So, that's Tomlin and Colbert, right?).
    4) Or is it possible that those are average to good DBs, and our defensive coaching is really that bad? (That's Tomlin and Butler, right?)
    5) Is AB slowing down, getting old too? He seems to have a bit of a harder time breaking away from defenders this year, and he is dropping balls that other mere mortals would drop all the time, but he never would in the past. Maybe injured?
    6) Lack of a productive Bell in the backfield, who's fault is that - Rooneys?

I don't see an easy fix here. Maybe Tomlin will become Superman and make it all come together and work amazingly well despite all this … I sure hope so!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Is there an Ignore feature on this board?

Banned

User Info Menu

When Tomlin was hired, his expertise was the secondary. But since McFadden and Troy left, the secondary has been a revolving door of players. So is it Tomlin or is it Colbert’s inability to identify talent in the secondary? Or both?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Owners are responsible for the overall health of the franchise, growing the game, community relations

The head coach is responsible for the product on the field.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    classic...

some posters here seem to think tomlin deserves a lifetime contract for winning 1 SB
    Well... Thats pretty much how our franchise operates with HC’s.

Sorry
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    classic...

This is a strawman argument.

No one argues for a lifetime contract for Tomlin.

Several posters (including myself) didn't believe that he should be fired after a 13-3 season.

There's lots of daylight between not getting fired after 13-3 and having a lifetime contract.

When Tomlin was hired, his expertise was the secondary. But since McFadden and Troy left, the secondary has been a revolving door of players. So is it Tomlin or is it Colbert’s inability to identify talent in the secondary? Or both?
    Since Tomlin has been a head coach, he's shown that his expertise is winning more games than all but the best coach in the league (and maybe in NFL history). Maybe he should get a bad season or two before getting the axe. It's hard to imagine the Steelers FO firing a head coach after one bad year (but who knows).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-03-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is a strawman argument.
    His specialty!!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz
    It's hard to imagine the Steelers FO firing a head coach after one bad year (but who knows).
    That is a scary thought...I don’t want the Steelers to become reactionary like a certain portion of the fan base...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.