Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Bell will

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sometimes the best defense is long drives on offense.
    Yep! And abandoning the run game along with off target passes kill those drives...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Compared to Bell’s first four games last year, Conner has done what Bell did...

Either our offense turns the ball over six times or our defense puts us in a multiple TD hole...

Bell won’t stop that...
    Maybe the first three but not the first 4.

Bell was basically unstoppable last year in week 4 against the rats.

Legend

User Info Menu

If they abandon the run game, then yes, his impact is lessened considerably...

If the defense allows 6 passing TDs or even just two TDs in a period of six minutes, Bell is sitting on the sideline when that happens...

If Ben throws multiple INTs, Bell doesn’t help that, either...

Bell is a great player, but he’s a running back...
    Not sure your theory fits the data.

Both games against the Jags last year were games where we had turnovers early and got down big quickly. And the were against a team with a great D.

In the first game Bell had 93 total yards.

In the second, he had 155 yards and 2 TDs.

I don't see how you can reasonably think that having Bell in the field wouldn't make the O better... Or that he's not significantly better than Conner (who's doing better than I thought he would, but like Watt only really played well against Cle)

Legend

User Info Menu

Not to mention the threat that Bell brings, I like Conner but you would have never seen the Ravens stay in a 2-deep look if Bell were in the backfield.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Not to mention the threat that Bell brings, I like Conner but you would have never seen the Ravens stay in a 2-deep look if Bell were in the backfield.
    We saw the two deep look quite often in the first half of last year, with Le’Veon Bell, until Ben started playing better...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Not sure your theory fits the data.

Both games against the Jags last year were games where we had turnovers early and got down big quickly. And the were against a team with a great D.

In the first game Bell had 93 total yards.

In the second, he had 155 yards and 2 TDs.

I don't see how you can reasonably think that having Bell in the field wouldn't make the O better... Or that he's not significantly better than Conner (who's doing better than I thought he would, but like Watt only really played well against Cle)
    Sure it does...

In the first Jags game, Ben threw 5 INTs...Bell had 47 yards rushing...run game abandoned...

In the second Jags game, we were down very early by two TDs...but that was before the first turnover...Bell had 67 yards rushing, run game abandoned...

I’m not saying Bell wouldn’t make the offense “better”...I’m saying that Bell won’t “fix” the offense...Ben needs to do that, with or without Bell...

If he doesn’t, then it doesn’t matter who the RB is...especially if we don’t hand that RB the ball...

If you can stick with the run game in a close one, you can get what Conner gave you in Tampa...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Going into the Sunday night game, the Steelers had won three in a row against the Ravens. In those three wins, Le’Veon Bell rushed for a combined 314 yards (4.6 average), caught passes for an additional 134 yards and scored seven total touchdowns. Think not having that to worry about that gave the Ravens defense any comfort? Me, too
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Sure it does...

In the first Jags game, Ben threw 5 INTs...Bell had 47 yards rushing...run game abandoned...

In the second Jags game, we were down very early by two TDs...but that was before the first turnover...Bell had 67 yards rushing, run game abandoned...

I’m not saying Bell wouldn’t make the offense “better”...I’m saying that Bell won’t “fix” the offense...Ben needs to do that, with or without Bell...

If he doesn’t, then it doesn’t matter who the RB is...especially if we don’t hand that RB the ball...

If you can stick with the run game in a close one, you can get what Conner gave you in Tampa...
    Your theory was: If they abandon the run game, then yes, his impact is lessened considerably...But in the games against the Jags where they abandoned the run game, he still had considerable impact.

Your theory only fits if you only look at rushing yards (which he clearly doesn't get if we abandon the run). But, Bell has been able to consistently make an impact in the passing game (46 yards in the first game and 88 in the two games against the Jags last year).

It's not unreasonable to assume that he'd have had more than Conner's 3 receptions for 25 yards last week. Last year against Baltimore, Bell had 42 yards receiving in game 1 and 77 yards (and a TD) in game 2. This is a good example of what I'm trying to talk about here.

In game one against the Rats, he was dominant on the ground (144 yards and 2 TDs). So, we didn't need to rely on his receiving too much (but he still did well with 42 yards).

In game 2 against them, rushing yards were harder to come by (48 yards...but still 2 TDs). I don't know how you define "abandoned the run", but he only had 13 carries. But in that game, he was still able to contribute through the air with 9 receptions, 77 yards and a third TD. I'd say 90 yards and 3 TDs is considerable impact despite only having 13 carries in the running game.

Bell has been special because it's really hard to take him out of a game. If you take away the run, he hurts you catching balls out of the backfield. There's no shame in Conner not being able to do this, because very few back in the history of the league have had Bell's versatility. Missing that really hurts the offense IMO.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-03-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep! And abandoning the run game along with off target passes kill those drives...
    We had 6 drives in the 2nd half.

1 Tied 14-14: Run (4 yards), run (3 yards), pass, punt

2 Tied 14-14: Pass, pass, pass, pass, run (1 yard), pass, punt

3 Down 17-14: Run (-2) pass, pass, punt

4 Down 20-14: Pass, pass, pass, pass, punt

5 Down 23-14: Pass, pass, pick

6 Down 26-14: pass, pass, pass, pass (on downs)

The passing game sucked and I think that's on Ben and the play calling.

But the running game sucked too.

In the drives where we were tied, we ran 33% of the non-ST plays and averaged 2.7 yards. Not exactly stellar.

When down by less than a TD, we ran 14% of the time for -2 and average -2 yards (not really an average because it's only 1 play).

Then down by a TD, we passed ever time. Probably because we'd averaged 1.5 yards per carry in the 2nd half at that point and we were running out of time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, not sure how anyone can argue Bell wouldn’t have more impact in these games.

There were here a few people on here who threw a parade after the Cleveland game. Conner is okay but Bell is an elite back. It was never fair to begin with to compare the 2.

Still hope Conner can get more touches because he is a punishing runner.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"