Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Schefter Reports Bell is Now on the Trading Block

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Schefter Reports Bell is Now on the Trading Block

Adam Scefter just reported on the pregame show that the Steelers are now actively listening to trade offers. The question begs, what would the Steelers try to legitimately get for him? If you set the Khalil Mack trade as some type of barometer, then it looks like teams may be willing to part with quite a bit in order to add a critical piece to their team...even if they are assuming a huge contract.

The first team that jumps to mind is the team that lost Mack...the Raiders. Not only did they score 2 number one picks, they also are in desperate need of making a splash move to counter the loss of Mack. Could we get Gaeron Conley and one of those number one's? "Sweeten" the pot with Artie Burns? A number 2 and Conley?

I hope we target getting a corner or pass rusher and a high pick in return. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems plausible, based on what happened with Mack.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My guess is that this is mostly click bait.

What does actively listening even mean? Active implies that they are doing something.

If they can get some good picks or an impact player on D I think it would be reasonable...which I didn't think I'd be saying

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sign and trade for defense in addition to a draft pick or two. I’d rather control where he goes than let him walk.

It’s a little complicated though because LB has to agree to all this. He’d probably prefer to hit the open market.
    Last edited by SteelBucks; 09-23-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Adam Scefter just reported on the pregame show that the Steelers are now actively listening to trade offers. The question begs, what would the Steelers try to legitimately get for him? If you set the Khalil Mack trade as some type of barometer, then it looks like teams may be willing to part with quite a bit in order to add a critical piece to their team...even if they are assuming a huge contract.

The first team that jumps to mind is the team that lost Mack...the Raiders. Not only did they score 2 number one picks, they also are in desperate need of making a splash move to counter the loss of Mack. Could we get Gaeron Conley and one of those number one's? "Sweeten" the pot with Artie Burns? A number 2 and Conley?

I hope we target getting a corner or pass rusher and a high pick in return. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems plausible, based on what happened with Mack.
    Makes sense for them, but I also think Gruden can't be that blind. He ran Cadillac Williams into the ground way back when, so I think he knows what tread on the tire can mean for a RB.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Could the next team Franchise Bell after the season? Technically wouldn’t they be franchising him for the 1st time making it more doable to almost guarantee they’d be able to get a long term deal done? Or they could rent him for 2 yrs more years on yearly franchise contracts and make it really hard for Bell to get a big long term contract ahead of his 30s?

Unfortunately for Bell, it seems he could accidentally back himself into a corner and not ever get the contract he wants.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Could the next team Franchise Bell after the season? Technically wouldn’t they be franchising him for the 1st time making it more doable to almost guarantee they’d be able to get a long term deal done? Or they could rent him for 2 yrs more years on yearly franchise contracts and make it really hard for Bell to get a big long term contract ahead of his 30s?

Unfortunately for Bell, it seems he could accidentally back himself into a corner and not ever get the contract he wants.
    I think the Bell would have to sign his franchise offer, then get traded under those terms with an agreement to a long-term deal already in place with the trading partner. If the team that traded for him tried to tag him, I honestly have no idea how that would work. I also have very little knowledge on how any of this sign and trade, wink-wink stuff applies to this situation. I'm sure there a several posters on here, who could add more of an informed opinion.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

They could franchise him again but the price tag would be in the QB franchise range.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here's the answer, according to PFT:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-leveon-bell/

Report: Steelers are listening to trade offers for Le’Veon Bell
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 23, 2018, 1:50 PM EDT

Oh the plans they are a-changin’.

Exactly two weeks after reporting that the Steelers have “no plan” to trade running back Le'Veon Bell, Adam Schefter of ESPN now reports that the Steelers are listening to trade offers for the franchise-tagged tailback.

A willingness to listen to trade offers is the first step in what would be a complicated process. Before Bell could be traded, he’d have to sign with the Steelers. And he has made it clear he’s not interested in signing a franchise tender that pays him $855,000 per week.

So what could be done? Despite the common misconception that the inability to sign Le’Veon Bell to a long-term deal means that it’s the franchise tender or nothing for 2018, Bell could actually sign for more than the base rate of his tender. To get him to sign and show up, what will it take?

For any team that wants him, the question becomes what does Bell want and what does the Steelers want? Both must be satisfied before a trade could happen.

And even then, the new team would have Bell only through the end of the regular season, with the ability to apply the franchise tender (at the quarterback number) or the transition tag in 2019. So what would a new team give up now for a rest-of-season rental of Bell, along with the exclusive ability to negotiate with him before the deadline arrives for tagging him.

Starter

User Info Menu

Trade his ass.

Legend

User Info Menu

At this point IMO if we get a 7th round pick and a ham sandwich it would be more than we are getting from him now

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.