Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Colbert Draft History

Legend

User Info Menu

Kevin Colbert Draft History

Looking back through KC's time in Pittsburgh is interesting. How would you grade him?

With Cowher (2000-2006) - 1st Rounders - A or A+

Plax, Casey, Kendall Simmons, Troy, Ben, Heath, Santonio

With Tomlin (2007-201 - 1st Rounders - C or D?

Timmons, Mendy, Ziggy, Pouncey, Heyward, DeCastro, Jarvis, Shazier, Dupree, Burns, TJ, Edmunds

Now looking back at the KC/BC years, those 2 did very little together outside of the 1st round. There's only a few players that were better than average. Marvel Smith, Ike, Keisel, Max. KC probably earned a C or D in those years outside the 1st round.

Looking at later rounds with Tomlin, we added Woodley, Keenan Lewis, Mike Wallace, AB, Manny Sanders, Gilbert, Le'Veon, Tuitt, Martavis, Jesse James, JuJu, and some other recent classes have some upside. I'd suggest KC probably deservers an A or B for those years.

Averaging it out, I think he probably deserves somewhere between a B and C.

There seems to be some inconsistent patters. Guess we'd have to take the current rosters prior to each draft into consideration. And arguably the coaches impacted the draft as much as Colbert.

I would argue with his patterns, coaches probably deserve more of the credit blame in each of the eras. Maybe KC gets more credit in 2010 and beyond given his title and role.

Worth noting, Colbert became GM in 2010, so maybe his credit should start with Pouncey?

Not bad on the Pouncey, Heyward, and DD picks, but they are interior linemen which are important, but are these the types of players we should be spending 1st round picks on to make a difference and get us to a SuperBowl?

Maybe his time with Tomlin will get better giving TJ and Edmunds some time. Both have huge upside and I'm hopeful those 2 can make a difference.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Looking back through KC's time in Pittsburgh is interesting. How would you grade him?

With Cowher (2000-2006) - 1st Rounders - A or A+

Plax, Casey, Kendall Simmons, Troy, Ben, Heath, Santonio

With Tomlin (2007-201 - 1st Rounders - C or D?

Timmons, Mendy, Ziggy, Pouncey, Heyward, DeCastro, Jarvis, Shazier, Dupree, Burns, TJ, Edmunds

Now looking back at the KC/BC years, those 2 did very little together outside of the 1st round. There's only a few players that were better than average. Marvel Smith, Ike, Keisel, Max. KC probably earned a C or D in those years outside the 1st round.

Looking at later rounds with Tomlin, we added Woodley, Keenan Lewis, Mike Wallace, AB, Manny Sanders, Gilbert, Le'Veon, Tuitt, Martavis, Jesse James, JuJu, and some other recent classes have some upside. I'd suggest KC probably deservers an A or B for those years.

Averaging it out, I think he probably deserves somewhere between a B and C.

There seems to be some inconsistent patters. Guess we'd have to take the current rosters prior to each draft into consideration. And arguably the coaches impacted the draft as much as Colbert.

I would argue with his patterns, coaches probably deserve more of the credit blame in each of the eras. Maybe KC gets more credit in 2010 and beyond given his title and role.

Worth noting, Colbert became GM in 2010, so maybe his credit should start with Pouncey?

Not bad on the Pouncey, Heyward, and DD picks, but they are interior linemen which are important, but are these the types of players we should be spending 1st round picks on to make a difference and get us to a SuperBowl?

Maybe his time with Tomlin will get better giving TJ and Edmunds some time. Both have huge upside and I'm hopeful those 2 can make a difference.
    OR perhaps KC is better at evaluating certain positions?
    A GENIUS when drafting receivers and oline (with a couple of rare misses)....not so good at secondary?

The net result, is when we have a need in a certain area, he tends to "hit" but when drafting others high he tends to miss?

Add to the dynamic above the the fact that our LBers a drafted as "edge rushers" tend to be bigger, therefore we compete with the entire NFL for these guys today?

Add to this that neither he nor Cowher deserve credit for drafting Ben. He has ZERO history of being good at evaluating QBs in the draft, albeit he has not gone QB particularly early which is a contributor.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-23-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Colbert was there in 2000 which means he drafted Kendrell Bell (talent was there), Larry Foote (good role player) and Chris Hope

And signed free agents Kimo, Farrior, Ryan Clark and James Harrison (UFA).

That's good talent evaluation for various guys at different positions.

Then, you add guys like Aaron Smith and Townsend (who was already there) and Hampton, Troy, Ike, etc and you have yourself a damn good defense.

I don't know what happened but I highly doubt that Colbert suddenly forgot how to evaluate defensive talent.
    Last edited by steelz09; 09-23-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Colbert was there in 2000 which means he drafted Kendrell Bell (talent was there), Larry Foote (good role player) and Chris Hope

Then, you add guys like Aaron Smith and Townsend (who was already there) and Hampton, Troy, Ike, etc and you have yourself a damn good defense.

I don't know what happened but I highly doubt that Colbert suddenly forgot how to evaluate defensive talent.
    Well we cut JH TWICE......and instead drafted Alonzo Jackson in the 2nd round as the "next great" Steeler pass rusher having NO IDEA how great Harrison would be as he languished between getting cut and sitting on the bench.

Yet Harrison is one of "Cowhers players" who Tomlin simply inherited?

GM's collect talent.....COACHES use talent effectively.

You are correct Colbert didn't "forget" how to draft defense.
    He also drafted Timmons, Woodley, and Gay IN ONE DRAFT after Cowher left.

His record on drafting CBs early is pretty weak.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, the coach we brought in after Cowher came to us with secondary expertise so maybe he was suppose to be able to help our GM in that area?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

Worth noting, KC didn't become GM until 2010. So maybe he doesn't deserve as much credit for the roster pre 2010?

Also, have you noticed, when we do get FAs now that we pick up guys with injury issues who can't seem to stay on the field. In the past, we've gotten some gems in Bettis, Farrior, Kimo, etc. Now we get guys like Haden, Vance, Ladarius, Burnett, etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    OR perhaps KC is better at evaluating certain positions?
    A GENIUS when drafting receivers and oline (with a couple of rare misses)....not so good at secondary?

The net result, is when we have a need in a certain area, he tends to "hit" but when drafting others high he tends to miss?

Add to the dynamic above the the fact that our LBers a drafted as "edge rushers" tend to be bigger, therefore we compete with the entire NFL for these guys today?

Add to this that neither he nor Cowher deserve credit for drafting Ben. He has ZERO history of being good at evaluating QBs in the draft, albeit he has not gone QB particularly early which is a contributor.
    Would be interesting to know player by player, who was the most responsible for each and every selection. Who does KC get credit for vs Cowher, Tomlin, Rooney, coaches, etc?

Also, have we gotten worse at drafting because we have moved away from drafting BPA and now it's about need?

For example, our Oline stinks, we draft OLine with 1st round picks.

Now our secondary stinks and we go after DBs early, even if it's a reach. For example, Burns and Edmunds felt like desperate picks to me at the time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Stud secondary players in the draft are at a premium. Just like stud QBs in the draft.

We had to go get Troy the year we drafted him by moving up. If we want that type of guy now, logically why wouldn’t we have to do the same thing now in getting at least one stud back there now?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Would be interesting to know player by player, who was the most responsible for each and every selection. Who does KC get credit for vs Cowher, Tomlin, Rooney, coaches, etc?

Also, have we gotten worse at drafting because we have moved away from drafting BPA and now it's about need?

For example, our Oline stinks, we draft OLine with 1st round picks.

Now our secondary stinks and we go after DBs early, even if it's a reach. For example, Burns and Edmunds felt like desperate picks to me at the time.

you must be mistaken.
    according to the real fans here, we always draft BPA(and no other team in the nfl does that)
    and we never reach for a player. just because every team/publication has a certain player ranked a round or two lower doesnt mean the steelers reached. it means everybody else was wrong and the steelers drafted them right where they should have OR later(making them a STEAL)
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every year.........

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    you must be mistaken.
    according to the real fans here, we always draft BPA(and no other team in the nfl does that)
    and we never reach for a player. just because every team/publication has a certain player ranked a round or two lower doesnt mean the steelers reached. it means everybody else was wrong and the steelers drafted them right where they should have OR later(making them a STEAL)

I don't think anyone thinks we draft pure BPA (at least in Rd 1).

I think most believe that we draft BPA from a set of positions of need.

The thing we don't do is go into the draft with one super glaring need so we have to pick a particular position no matter how the draft breaks. That's a pretty smart strategy, especially since we're usually drafting later in rd 1.