Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Steelers Defense - Cap Allocation

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers Defense - Cap Allocation

    In 2018, the Steelers are spending $56m on D. That's 30% of the total cap spend.

    29 teams spend more on D.

    Only 2 spend less - Oakland and Indy.

    By comparison, Jax spends 55% of their cap on D.

    Interestingly, we only spend 42% of the cap on Offense, ranking us at #14 in terms of O spending. Had Le'veon signed, we'd be #5 on Offensive spending.

    Given what we're spending, we seem to be getting what we're paying for on D.

    If we spent our extra $20m in cap space on D, that would get us up to #8.

    Just to put this in perspective, our top 5 paid Defenders by cap are:

    1. Hayden
    2. Heyward
    3. Tuitt
    4. Alualu
    5. Williams

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In 2018, the Steelers are spending $56m on D. That's 30% of the total cap spend.

    29 teams spend more on D.

    Only 2 spend less - Oakland and Indy.

    By comparison, Jax spends 55% of their cap on D.

    Interestingly, we only spend 42% of the cap on Offense, ranking us at #14 in terms of O spending. Had Le'veon signed, we'd be #5 on Offensive spending.

    Given what we're spending, we seem to be getting what we're paying for on D.

    If we spent our extra $20m in cap space on D, that would get us up to #8.

    Just to put this in perspective, our top 5 paid Defenders by cap are:

    1. Hayden
    2. Heyward
    3. Tuitt
    4. Alualu
    5. Williams
    I think that this makes sense. I think our D is younger than our O so we also have more players on first deals.

    Do these percentages also include Shazier's contract? The spend on players who are on the roster might be less.

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    It's been out of balance for several years now. One reason is obvious; the Steelers inability to find quality Defensive players they can sign to a second contract. That's when the numbers really start hitting the cap.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Would be interesting to do some analysis on the optimal way to spend cap dollars.

    Steelers pay for QB, WR, RB, CB, OL, DL.

    Is that the right way to go?

    Shoukd we we think about paying more for other positions?

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Would be interesting to do some analysis on the optimal way to spend cap dollars.

    Steelers pay for QB, WR, RB, CB, OL, DL.

    Is that the right way to go?

    Shoukd we we think about paying more for other positions?
    I have been trying to make this case for YEARS Flippy.
    We have too much of our cap invested in the WRONG TWO positions.

    You needs a franchise level QB.....most important.
    He needs less "help" from skill players than people think.

    THEN you want positions on the D that can slow a franchise QB.....elite secondary THEN pass rushers...in THAT order, which many argue against.
    Recent HISTORY shows clearly that elite secondary talent (last season was an exception) is the most consistent factor in SB victors on defense.

    Think about this truth......a MAJORITY of HOF bound secondary players of the last two decades HAVE RINGS.
    Outside of QB, NO other positions can claim that.

    You want Oline before skill positions because¬…...the right oline will result in an effective offense REGARDLESS the "skill" positions.

    Our spending priorities are backwards. I do agree that our "misses" in the draft are indeed a contributor for the disparity.
    Had Jarvis J panned out for example, he would be getting paid big dough by now.

    Now we FINALLY invested in a corner in Harden. But he just cant stay healthy.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-23-2018 at 12:02 PM.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I have been trying to make this case for YEARS Flippy.
    We have too much of our cap invested in the WRONG TWO positions.

    You needs a franchise level QB.....most important.
    He needs less "help" from skill players than people think.

    THEN you want positions on the D that can slow a franchise QB.....elite secondary THEN pass rushers...in THAT order, which many argue against.
    Recent HISTORY shows clearly that elite secondary talent (last season was an exception) is the most consistent factor in SB victors on defense.

    Think about this truth......a MAJORITY of HOF bound secondary players of the last two decades HAVE RINGS.
    Outside of QB, NO other positions can claim that.

    You want Oline before skill positions because¬…...the right oline will result in an effective offense REGARDLESS the "skill" positions.

    Our spending priorities are backwards. I do agree that our "misses" in the draft are indeed a contributor for the disparity.
    Had Jarvis J panned out for example, he would be getting paid big dough by now.

    Now we FINALLY invested in a corner in Harden. But he just cant stay healthy.
    I agree with this QBs, DBs and edge. Probably LT too.

    But at the same time, the GMs job is to (a) get good players and (B) keep good players. The need to balance that with good drafting so they can underpay above average young players at premium positions

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I have been trying to make this case for YEARS Flippy.
    We have too much of our cap invested in the WRONG TWO positions.

    You needs a franchise level QB.....most important.
    He needs less "help" from skill players than people think.

    THEN you want positions on the D that can slow a franchise QB.....elite secondary THEN pass rushers...in THAT order, which many argue against.
    Recent HISTORY shows clearly that elite secondary talent (last season was an exception) is the most consistent factor in SB victors on defense.

    Think about this truth......a MAJORITY of HOF bound secondary players of the last two decades HAVE RINGS.
    Outside of QB, NO other positions can claim that.

    You want Oline before skill positions because¬Ö...the right oline will result in an effective offense REGARDLESS the "skill" positions.

    Our spending priorities are backwards. I do agree that our "misses" in the draft are indeed a contributor for the disparity.
    Had Jarvis J panned out for example, he would be getting paid big dough by now.

    Now we FINALLY invested in a corner in Harden. But he just cant stay healthy.
    looking at NE as an example, they pay for QB, TE, CB, S at the top of their list.

    Jax as another example pays for DL and DBs. Of course they donít have the franchise QB contract so they should be able to build a better D.

    I agree with all that you say here. We should never be paying for a WR and RB no matter how good they might be because u can always get by with a great QB. Ben won a SuperBowl with Hines, ARE, Cedrick, and Willie at the skill positions.

    The other thing about where weíre investing, weíre paying for interior linemen. Pouncey, Heyward, etc. I donít think that scales with what weíre trying to really accomplish. Protect our QB and get to the other QB. If Heyward was JJ Watt, fine, pay a lot for a 3-4 DE. But paying him what weíre paying would have been the equivalent of paying Aaron Smith at the top of the D during his tenure. Great/solid player, but when I think of difference maker during our last run, I think of Troy and James. And we donít have that kind of difference maker now.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I have been trying to make this case for YEARS Flippy.
    We have too much of our cap invested in the WRONG TWO positions.

    You needs a franchise level QB.....most important.
    He needs less "help" from skill players than people think.

    THEN you want positions on the D that can slow a franchise QB.....elite secondary THEN pass rushers...in THAT order, which many argue against.
    Recent HISTORY shows clearly that elite secondary talent (last season was an exception) is the most consistent factor in SB victors on defense.

    Think about this truth......a MAJORITY of HOF bound secondary players of the last two decades HAVE RINGS.
    Outside of QB, NO other positions can claim that.

    You want Oline before skill positions because¬Ö...the right oline will result in an effective offense REGARDLESS the "skill" positions.

    Our spending priorities are backwards. I do agree that our "misses" in the draft are indeed a contributor for the disparity.
    Had Jarvis J panned out for example, he would be getting paid big dough by now.

    Now we FINALLY invested in a corner in Harden. But he just cant stay healthy.
    But what could we do to change that? They've already NOT commited to paying for Bell, so it is supporting your train of thought. But are you saying that you wouldn't have paid AB, a homegrown guy who has continued to excel even after his signing? I don't think anyone in Steeler Nation was saying 'let him walk' after the years he had given.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    seeing that we dont spend in FA, i have to believe we pay our own guys if/when they deserve it. im sure if we had developed some defensive talent(multiple pro bowlers) we would have paid them too.
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every year.........

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    But what could we do to change that? They've already NOT commited to paying for Bell, so it is supporting your train of thought. But are you saying that you wouldn't have paid AB, a homegrown guy who has continued to excel even after his signing? I don't think anyone in Steeler Nation was saying 'let him walk' after the years he had given.
    I kinda WAS saying that (ask Dizz, we argued about it).
    I would do the following....ESPECIALLY if Washington impresses like Juju last season...Ö.I trade Brown in a nano-second for a top tier corner.

    When we lost to the Pats WE had BY FAR the more elite receiver.
    Yet a stinkin LACROSSE player carved up our pathetic secondary and their superior corner made AB look AVERAGE.

    BTW DUMBEST MOVE EVER by Belichick was keeping that Butler out of the SB.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •