Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about Benís slow starts?

Banned

User Info Menu

Can we talk about Benís slow starts?

Do we still script the first 15 plays?

Too many shots downfield vs moving the chains?

Too much shotgun?

Whats the problem? Do we only play well in desperation mode?

We didnt have any TOís thanks to a flag nullifying that fumble.

Something has to change.

Legend

User Info Menu

He has them. Always has, probably always will. Probably mental. Good talk!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

probably would have helped Ben to get him some more work in preseason

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    probably would have helped Ben to get him some more work in preseason
    I have been thinking/saying this for around 4 years. The one season that sticks out to me was a year we played the Saints in the 3rd game. I believe the first team guys were in for 2 series, i believe a TD and maybe a field goal. But then they pulled him out. The first game out the gate was Redskins Monday night. That was the Williams show. He does not get enough attempts, injury could happen any time of the season. He needs to get more timing throws in than just 15 or so passes. He even mentioned it after preseason game 3 this year. He recognized that he was not on time.

Banned

User Info Menu

I made a post about Brady throwing 26 times in one half this preseason and was knocked for it.

Of course it didn’t help Brady vs the Jags but still, I think more reps wouldn’t hurt.

I still prefer slow starts and strong finishes when considering the whole season but it would be nice to see us put together a TD or FG,
    ... hell, just flip the field.

Negative drives on the first series? That’s down right unacceptable.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Do we still script the first 15 plays?

Too many shots downfield vs moving the chains?

Too much shotgun?

Whats the problem? Do we only play well in desperation mode?

We didnt have any TOís thanks to a flag nullifying that fumble.

Something has to change.
    I'd guess we probably script the first several plays. But they often seem to stink (bubble wr screens that defenses see coming) and don't use the middle of the field for some reason. And then, when we're in desperation mode, Ben forces balls to AB in triple coverage and then finally, Juju and the tight-end-of-the-day go off in the middle of the field and we start moving the ball.

Yeah, something needs to change. Fichtner doesn't seem to have helped much in the slow-start area. Maybe Ben is just a slow-starter no matter what we do.

Legend

User Info Menu

The old preseason script in years past called for all healthy starters to play:

Game 1: at least one series (and possibly a second series depending on how the first series went)

Game 2: at least one quarter (and possibly into the second quarter depending on how the first quarter went)

Game 3: at least one half (and possibly into the third quarter depending on how the first half went)

Game 4: rest all of your established starters in preparation for the first game of the regular season as rookies and bubble players battle it out for those last few precious roster spots

We should really go back to this model.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe if he start practicing like a lot of the other starting qbs
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Banned

User Info Menu

I agree Ruthless. I used to be on the “what if they get injured?” train but effe that.

I think players pushed for less practice, less hitting and less preseason out of fear of injury but IMO injuries seem to be up. Probably because players have too much rest.

I also think the NFL as a whole is sloppy these first few weeks due to the change.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Maybe if he start practicing like a lot of the other starting qbs

Practice? We talking bout practice?