Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AB Tweets "Trade Me"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I'd go with
    D. Run the ball more.
    A formula that wins a lot of games. And is a proven formula that wins playoff games too

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Brown: 'He's An Incendiary Device'
    NBC Sports' PeterKing doesn't expect a quick decision to be made on trading Brown

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...endiary-device

MATT KOLL
    JANUARY 09, 2019 - 11:32 AM
    Steelers WR Antonio Brown in 2018
    Josh Rowntree - 93.7 The Fan

CATEGORIES: Football Pittsburgh Steelers NFL Sports

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan)- NBC Sports NFL writer and analyst Peter King has been covering the league for many, many years and normally has a great pulse on the happenings around the NFL.

King joined The Fan Morning Show on Wednesday to talk about the Steelers current situation with apparently disgruntled receiver Antonio Brown. He says that given the Steelers nature, don't expect a decison to be made quickly on whether the organization will part ways with him.

"It doesn't make any sense to go fast on this," said King. "I've heard that Antonio Brown does not want to be traded and that he wants to play in Pittsburgh and he wants to try to win a Super Bowl there. I mean, he's got a funny way of showing it sometimes."

"There's no rush. There's nine weeks until the beginning of the league year. So, there's no reason why they have to hurry and make a decision right now which would be a decision made out of weakness and made out of vulnerability. So, if you ask me my gut feeling, my gut feeling is that they'll listen to offers and if they get a good one they'll trade him. But I think that time is the Steelers friend right now."

King cautioned that if Brown were to be traded, he doesn't know the grass would be greener for him and doesn't know if he could make it work with other teams.

"In my opinion, if I were him, I would want to work this out to stay. How do you know what happens if he gets traded to the New York Jets, if he becomes this generation's Santonio Holmes? And he's got a frustrating first eight weeks with Sam Darnold and they can't totally get on the same page? I mean, he's an incendiary device. So, how does he even know that that's going to work? At the very least, Ben Roethlisberger knows Antonio Brown. Knows how he plays, he knows where to put the ball for him, all of those things."

King, like many others, says this is a time where Art Rooney II needs to make his voice heard in reining in the Antonio Brown drama.

"This is a time where I think we all feel like Dan Rooney would have done something decisive in this case and basically let it be known to Tomlin that this stuff has to change and it has to change right now. There seems to be so much turmoil now around this team and it's got to stop. I think if Art Rooney needs to get involved, it strikes me that this is the time where he needs to get involved and he needs to get involved in a major way."

King also made headlines recently for his decision to leave Brown off his All-Pro voting list, replacing him instead with New Orleans Saints receiver Michael Thomas. He addressed what all went into that decision with us.

"I will vote for Antonio Brown again at some point in the future, I'm sure that I will. He's a great football player. But I don't think when you don't show up for practices the week of a playoff implication game that you deserve to be on an All-Pro team. Period. That's not negotiable as far as I'm concerned."

You can hear the entire interview with NBC Sports' Peter King on The Fan Morning Show

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

AB says he will addresses current situation soon

ByBRYAN DEARDO

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...lersNewsletter

Antonio Brown went on video Friday afternoon while saying that he would address his current situation at a later date. Brown's video came a day after Pittsburgh president Art Rooney II told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that, expect for being released, everything was on the table with regard to Brown and what the team will do with him moving forward. While he didn't rule out Brown returning to the Steelers in 2019, Rooney said that that scenario was "hard to environ" as Brown continues to ignore phone calls from Rooney as well as from Steelers' head coach, Mike Tomlin.

Brown started off the video addressing his video with James Harrison that took place during Tomlin's season-ending press conference when Tomlin was fielding questions about Brown's disappearing act during the final week of the 2018 season. Brown, at the time, said that an exclusive interview with Harrison was in the works.

“It was all a joke," Brown said. "I was over there chilling with him. It was all a joke man, just for positivity.”

Brown wasn't joking when he said that he would discuss his current situation soon.

“On a serious note, I’m gonna address some stuff at a later date," he said. "Deeper details and all positivity, all encouraging. That’s all it’s about, man. My actions will speak louder than my words. My actions will [always] speak louder than anything I would ever say. So stay by the phone.”

The Steelers cannot trade Brown until the league opens it's new year on March 13. They would most likely trade him before March 17, the date where Brown would be due a $2.5 million roster bonus if he is still on payroll.

“That’s one of the questions we have to answer — whether we can get to a point where we all feel good about him being on the roster next year," Rooney said. "We have a way to go before we feel good about that.”

Rooney has, essentially, sent a message to Brown. If Brown wants to continue his career with the Steelers, something that he reportedly wants, he needs to do some things on his end to make sure that this happens. First off, Brown needs to have a conversation with Rooney, who told the Post-Gazette that he wants to speak with Brown to figure out exactly what happened that caused Brown's insubordination at the end of the 2018 season. Rooney does not think whatever was bothering Brown was an isolated incident.

Brown would then have to talk to Tomlin, who could not hide his disappointment in his receiver during his season-ending press conference last Wednesday. Not only had Brown disappointed Tomlin on a professional level, he surely also disappointed him on a personal one, as Tomlin has spent nearly a decade working with Brown, a sixth round pick in the 2010 draft. While his future actions would ultimately tell the true story, Brown would have to find a way during that conversation with Tomlin to win back his trust after Brown essentially abandoned Tomlin and his teammates during what Tomlin called their "darkest hour".

Then, Brown would have to speak to his teammates, starting with team captains Ben Roethlisberger, Maurkice Pouncey, and Cameron Heyward. Brown could meet with them all at once, or he could elect to speak to them individually. Each of Pittsburgh's captains have said that want Brown back in 2019, but that doesn't mean that Brown shouldn't speak to them anyways. Brown also needs to talk to the rest of his teammates while winning back their trust.

Rooney could have said on Thursday that the bridge had been broken and that the Steelers are actively trying to trade Brown. He didn't. Instead, he offered Brown a life preserver as well as an opportunity. Brown can either take the preserver, return to the Steelers and begin mending fences, or he can make it clear that he would rather play someplace else. The ball's in his court. It will be interesting to see what he does with it.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Molon labe

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    A formula that wins a lot of games. And is a proven formula that wins playoff games too
    I like defense and running more than we did.

I think that the defense part is much more important than the running more part because (1) I think the link between running and winning is more "when you're winning you run", instead of "when you run you win" and (2) I'm at least open to the argument than the passes behind the line aren't much different than running and could be better (I think we led the league or were at least close to the top). I'd need to see more data on (2) to believe it, but I'm open to it being true (especially with a very good QB).

Ultimately, I don't know how we make a dramatic improvement on D (we seem to need a quality starter at basically every position group but DL assuming that we don't overpay Bud through his option).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The key I think is in the trade, getting a quality player in a need area and then also a first round pick. That would help us go a long way in addressing all need areas.