Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Butler Thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Keith Butler Thread

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/fi...ion-coverages/

I think Dobbs the rocket scientist may have to break this down for the defense....
    Perhaps we need to simplify the defense a tad?
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

https://triblive.com/sports/columnis...acle-vs-chiefs

I do know this... Morgan Burnett was a play maker in GB for several years. The fact that he is non existent now speaks volumes to the poor coaching/scheme these first 2 weeks. I also know that, with most of the high end Defensive draft selections, their "Draft Grades" were well within reason (for where we selected them).
    I do not believe our deficiencies are due to a lack of talent. It all points to coaching (or the lack thereof).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In the last 2 home games (yesterday and Jags) this D has allowed 87 points.

If I was grading the D line, Backers, and Secondary yesterday they'd all get an F.

Didn't Tomlin say he was calling most of the D plays by the end of the season last year? If that's true than Butler is incompetent or irrelevant. Why is he still here?

How doe Joey Porter have a job? He's done nothing to improve the outside LBs play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    In the last 2 home games (yesterday and Jags) this D has allowed 87 points.

If I was grading the D line, Backers, and Secondary yesterday they'd all get an F.

Didn't Tomlin say he was calling most of the D plays by the end of the season last year? If that's true than Butler is incompetent or irrelevant. Why is he still here?

How doe Joey Porter have a job? He's done nothing to improve the outside LBs play.
    They actually gave up 80 points (one Jags score was defensive) but who’s counting. Outside of Cam Heyward, Haden and maybe Watt, they all stink. Artie Burns may be the worst corner in the league. The thing that burns me the most is the mental errors. The penalties are endless.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    They actually gave up 80 points (one Jags score was defensive) but who’s counting. Outside of Cam Heyward, Haden and maybe Watt, they all stink. Artie Burns may be the worst corner in the league. The thing that burns me the most is the mental errors. The penalties are endless.
    Let's not overrate TJ Watt.

TJ Watt has 60% of his sacks, 100% of his blocked kicks, and 100% of his INTs vs the Browns. He averages almost 3x as many tackles against the Browns as he does in the rest of his games. 8.3 tackles against Browns vs 2.9 tackles in the rest of his games.

ie. TJ Watt is an All Pro vs the Browns and in the rest of his starts, he's a bum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    https://triblive.com/sports/columnis...acle-vs-chiefs

I do know this... Morgan Burnett was a play maker in GB for several years. The fact that he is non existent now speaks volumes to the poor coaching/scheme these first 2 weeks. I also know that, with most of the high end Defensive draft selections, their "Draft Grades" were well within reason (for where we selected them).
    I do not believe our deficiencies are due to a lack of talent. It all points to coaching (or the lack thereof).
    You know, there is a ton of validity in what your saying. But Tomlin said after the Jags loss that Butler is running the defense according to the way Tomlin wants it ran. That’s what Tomlin said when Butler was under fire after the Jags loss.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Joey Porter and Butler .. how much more do they need to prove that they are not right for their coaching positions?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Joey Porter and Butler .. how much more do they need to prove that they are not right for their coaching positions?
    If the D is like this for the rest of the season and we miss the playoffs, the one bright spot SHOULD be getting rid of both these guys.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hate to say this but I've always thought that Butler has a clueless look on his face. I mean, he just looks and sounds unintelligent in interviews that I've seen of him. I'm sure he's smarter than he comes off. But these defensive performances are not doing that opinion any favors.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A big part of "Playmakers making plays" is in their ability to play with decisiveness , and that comes with understanding their reads and assignments in a given play....
    We've all heard the term "The game is slowing down" for guys who get to their second and 3rd year of play. It appears to me that is not happening with our young guys (even 3rd year guys). I swear we make things so complicated on our defense... they just look like a team that's confused. All you've gotta do is watch them "Pre-snap"... it all starts with "Lining up right"... and we really struggle to do that.