Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Browns release Josh Gordon

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Lmao..

BUT BILLICHEAT WOULD NEVER... EVER

Pfft.

That guy will give anyone a chance on the cheap.

While I don’t wish anyone harm I’m definitely interested in how this turns out. Pats have made these trades before and released players after a few weeks if they can’t catch on to the scheme.
    its a no risk move, his salary is so low and its a conditional pick

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Browns know damn well it will have no impact on their playoffs hopes this year.

They just went with the best...

who am I kidding, they prolly took the first call and had to be convinced to trade him instead of releasing him.
    Obviously, still as a GM i think it would be on my mind. I guess thats because i wouldnt be ok with accepting "well, we suck" as the answer lol

My mind would be on rolling out baker, try to start stringing some wins together, and competing for a wildcard

Backup

User Info Menu

NE/KC in the championship game. Both offenses will be literally unstoppable

Legend

User Info Menu

NE doesnt have a horse in this race any more.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yinz are missing the most important part of the whole deal. Kraft & Co. don't need to worry about Gordon failing another drug test because they know he won't be tested due to chumminess with the Commish. That really helps NE odds that Gordon will stick.

How many times was Harrison 'randomly' tested after speaking out against the league? NE has no such worries.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    NE/KC in the championship game. Both offenses will be literally unstoppable
    I think the Jags are the team to beat this year.

KC is good but let’s remember this is Andy Reid. His KC teams always start hot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yinz are missing the most important part of the whole deal. Kraft & Co. don't need to worry about Gordon failing another drug test because they know he won't be tested due to chumminess with the Commish. That really helps NE odds that Gordon will stick.

How many times was Harrison 'randomly' tested after speaking out against the league? NE has no such worries.
    Thats just not how it works

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the Gordon move is a win/win for both teams unfortunately. The Browns will no doubt add another offensive weapon next year with their picks and they know their not going anywhere this year because just winning 4-5 games is a successful year for them.

Pats get a guy who if nothing else can strecth the field and keep things open underneath for Gronk, Hogan and Dorsett. I don't think Brady is the long ball thrower he used to be with Moss but he'll still get 6-8 TD's for them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Patriots get seventh-round pick with no conditions in Josh Gordon trade

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 20, 2018, 11:15 AM EDT

The Josh Gordon trade terms have still not been formally announced by either the Browns or the Patriots, but we’re starting to get some clarity on what the Patriots gave up. And it wasn’t much.

Cleveland sent Gordon and a seventh-round draft pick to the Patriots for a fifth-round draft pick. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the seventh-round pick is not conditional, contrary to some reports.

The Browns don’t have their own seventh-round pick next year because they sent it to Miami in the Jarvis Landry trade, but the Browns have acquired both the Jaguars’ and Steelers’ seventh-round picks, so New England will apparently get one of those. The Patriots’ fifth-round pick is their own.

That the conditions were taken off the seventh-round pick would seem to suggest that the Patriots insisted on removing that language, and the Browns gave in. This means the Patriots are giving up very little for Gordon, effectively draft capital equivalent to a sixth-round draft pick.

So for the Patriots, this is a low-risk, high-reward deal. If Gordon can’t get his act together, they can cut him and they’re out nothing more than having to move down on the third day of the draft. If Gordon can play at the high level he did in 2013, they’ve just added one of the most talented wide receivers in the NFL to their roster. It’s easy to see why the Patriots liked this deal. And given that this was the best deal the Browns could get, it’s apparent that the rest of the league doesn’t think Gordon is worth the trouble.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/20/report-patriots-get-seventh-round-pick-with-no-conditions-in-josh-gordon-trade/
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope