Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Donald Breaks Bank

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    It’s just money.

The owners are all Billionaires.

This is why I think folks are dead wrong about Bell. He isn’t stupid. The money is out there.
    True, but there still is a salary cap. Teams that marry to BIIIG money contracts put excessive strain on their drafting. You're going to have to be perfect there, to make up for the fact that you simply aren't going to be able to keep many of your own guys. Frankly, I don't know how the Rams are managing all these guys... their cap guy's last name must be Ponzi or a genius.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    its going to take a few years but i think the teams that cave in to these huge guaranteed contracts will be bottom feeders until those contracts expire
    Yep. Big long term deals can really screw your team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    True, but there still is a salary cap. Teams that marry to BIIIG money contracts put excessive strain on their drafting. You're going to have to be perfect there, to make up for the fact that you simply aren't going to be able to keep many of your own guys. Frankly, I don't know how the Rams are managing all these guys... their cap guy's last name must be Ponzi or a genius.
    And that's really the point. The rest of the roster must be put together flawlessly.... no margin for erring on a signing.

Legend

User Info Menu

No. You don’t have to be flawless in the draft to field a competitive team after signing a player to a huge deal.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's about cap hit, teams are able to front load and back load contracts in order to minimize the cap hit. The teams already know when they make the deal what percentage of the cap that player will take each year and how much is left to address other contracts and needs, it's not like teams are just blindly putting together these contracts.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Rams are going all in now while they have Goff on a rookie deal. They will definitely have to pay for all this spending against the cap in a couple of years. Huge contracts across the board this summer. Still can't believe they gave Brandon Cooks more $$$ then they gave Gurley.

They are going to get slammed by free agency too as as they have a team full trades. They have not had many early round draft picks the last several years. Luckily for them, they seemed to have hit big on them, but depth will soon be an issue

That said, Donald is 27 years old, 2x DPoY, 4 pro bowls in 4 years, and 3x All Pro, hasn't missed any games due to injuries.

If anyone is worth that right now it is him, and he has as good a chance as anyone to okay it out without wearing down
    Last edited by D Rock; 09-02-2018 at 07:52 AM.