Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steelers most successful failure?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Exactly. It's been written about numerous times that Cowher didn't want to go after Ben in the draft. Cowher was all about the running game and stopping the run. And that won a TON of games. But it failed often in the playoffs. Until Dan Rooney forced Ben on the team.
    Cowher is from the Schotty coaching tree. The QB is an after thought in their scheme.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Tomlin is right...again...

I really hope we can get through the year without a catastrophic injury to a major component of the team....
    I knew I shouldn't have taken you off ignore. LOL . Injury excuse for 10 years??? Really?? Eagles had injuries to their QB last year and lost Darren Sproles, just for starters. Wow. Using the injury excuse. Wow. I gotta leave you on ignore. I can't believe you dude. I just can't believe you trying to say injuries are the reason for 6 years of underachievement huh? Wow.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I knew I shouldn't have taken you off ignore. LOL . Injury excuse for 10 years??? Really?? Eagles had injuries to their QB last year and lost Darren Sproles, just for starters. Wow. Using the injury excuse. Wow. I gotta leave you on ignore. I can't believe you dude. I just can't believe you trying to say injuries are the reason for 6 years of underachievement huh? Wow.
    Oh. No.

Don’t put me on the ignore list.

Whatever will I do?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+Ä# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Over the last 6 years, I think the Steelers can only be considered underachievers if you are comparing them against a standard of winning the SB every year or by comparing them against the strongest dynasty in NFL history (i.e. the Pats*). So, going into this year I think there are few teams I'd rather be than us. I think there's a reasonable argument that we'll be better than anyone in the league other than the Pats (because it's silly to bet against the Pats as long as they have Brady and BB).

In those 6 years, the Steelers have 61 regular season wins.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers are the 2nd best team in the league over this 6 year stretch (behind the Pats). They certainly didn't underachieve in the regular season. They were 3rd in wins from 2005 - 2015 (with just under 9.8 wins per season). In the six year span you brought up, they have 10.2 wins / season. I think they're still 3rd in this span because of the Sea Hawks and Pats.

They have appeared in 7 playoff games. They made the conference finals once, the divisional round three times. I can't quickly find a ranking of playoff games per team in this 6 year time frame, but I bet there aren't many teams that average more than one playoff game per year. I'm not counting bye weeks as playoff games (although I don't think doing so would be unreasonable). From the list below (which is not complete), there are at least 3 (Denver should also have more). Either way, being around the top 15% of the league seems like pretty good performance.

It's also worth noting that they didn't have any playoff games 5 and 6 years ago (so in the last 4 years they've averaged 2 playoff games / year). I think you could argue that they were underachieving at this time, but I think it was more that they were re-tooling from the SB teams. This seems to have happened reasonably quickly and still given us time to have solid chances at winning SBs at the end of Ben's career.

At home in the playoffs: 1 - 2
    - Home Losses: 2014 (Bell out J. Harris #1 RB), 2017 (Terrible D when Shazier gets hurt and gets replaced by a non-NFL player)

We would expect them to have a better home record in the playoffs. I think that this can reasonably be attributed to injuries to star players that had guys behind them that were borderline NFL players (at best). I think that the Bell injury is partly due to coaching (because we have always given RBs too many carries under Tomlin). But, I think this is mostly a consequence of the salary cap and having a stars at QB RB and WR. It's hard to pay for good backups at every position.

On the road in the playoffs: 2 - 2

They have a better than expected road record. I think that this is a testament to the skill of the team and the ability of the coaching staff to prepare them for games against difficult opponents on the road.

You might say that the Steelers should win because Ben is a great QB and having a great QB = winning the SB.

I would agree that having a great QB increases your chances of winning the SB.

Here are a list of QBs that have won the SB in the last 6 years:
    • N. Fowles
    • T.Brady
    • P.Manning
    • T. Brady
    • P.Manning
    • J.Flaco

In 2015, Pro-football focus put together this list of top 10 QBs in the league (I didn't mean to cherry pick here, I just picked the first list for best QBs over the last decade...I'm happy to put in any other top 10 list you can find. I don't think Flacco and Fowles will be on it though, unless it's just a list of recent winners)
    1. A Rogers (in the last 6 years: 58 wins / 10 playoff games / 5 playoff wins). Less regular season wins. More playoff games probably because of 2012-2013
    2. P Manning (not a starter the whole time)
    3. D Breese (in the last 6 years: 50 wins / 4 playoff games / 2 playoff wins). Less regular season wins, less playoff games, less playoff wins
    4. T Brady (in the last 6 years: 75 wins / 15 playoff games / 11 playoff wins). I don't think their success will be matched as long as there is a cap.
    5. Ben
    6. P Rivers (in the last 6 years: 53 wins / 2 playoff games / 1 playoff win). Less regular season wins, less playoff games, less playoff wins
    7. R Wilson (in the last 6 years: 65 wins / 12 playoff games / 8 playoff win). Having a great QB on a rookie deal gives a big advantage, like it did for us.
    8. M Ryan (in the last 6 years: 52 wins / 7 playoff games / 4 playoff wins). Less regular season wins, same playoff games, more playoff wins
    9. T Romo
    10. E Manning

Two of those guys have won the SB in the last 6 years (but they both won multiple SBs).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; Today at 05:12 PM.