Thread: Holy Damoun Patterson!

Banned

User Info Menu

Holy Damoun Patterson!

What a great first game!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yep by by Eli
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Patterson is Digest Player of the Week

Bob Labriola
    STEELERS.COM

PHILADELPHIA – In the Steelers’ 31-14 preseason-opening win over the Eagles here tonight, a bunch of guys made plays that contributed to the victory. But Damoun Patterson was someone who made more than one.

Patterson led the team in receiving with six catches for 77 yards, and included among those was an Antonio Brown-like grab in the end zone for a 29-yard touchdown that gave the Steelers a 22-14 lead at halftime. Patterson also caught two passes for 29 yards in a possession that ended with one of Chris Boswell’s three field goals on the night.

Patterson is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were: JuJu Smith-Schuster, who made a combat catch down the left sideline that he then turned into a 71-yard touchdown; Stevan Ridley, who had 14 yards rushing on 10 carries, caught four passes for 58 yards, and also was a contributor in protecting the passer; Boswell, who was 3-for-3 in field goals and 2-for-2 on PATs; Coty Sensabaugh, who had one of the defense’s two interceptions; Cam Sutton, who had the other interception and also forced a fumble; and Ola Adeniyi, who finished with two tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble.

https://www.steelers.com/news/patter...er-of-the-week

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kudos to all of them!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Damoun Patterson the Steelers' next Antonio Brown – or the next Terrell Watson?

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Friday, Aug. 10, 2018,

If there is any at all, the fun of the preseason is defined by an unheralded new face doing something unexpected.

The star players, typically, don’t play. And everyone knows to have their eyes on the first-round pick – or, in some cases (like the Steelers this year) the highly-regarded rookie quarterback .

But when an undrafted or lower-round draft pick makes you notice him? Therein lies the value of the preseason from a fan’s perspective.

So after the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 31-14 preseason-opening victory against the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday , much of the chatter surrounded a pair of undrafted rookies from smaller Ohio college programs: Youngstown State receiver Damoun Patterson and Toledo linebacker Olasunkanmi “Ola” Adeniyi.

The latter had a strip sack, the former game-highs with six catches for 77 yards and a touchdown (followed by an impressive back flip, to boot).

Patterson has the size (6-2, 190), the speed (sub-4.5 seconds in the 40) and the attitude (“I love special teams,” he said) that if he impresses in the preseason, he very well could make the Steelers’ roster.

The analogy is far from perfect, of course. But want to know another relatively-unknown player who was also the star of his first preseason game? On Aug. 14, 2010, Antonio Brown had a 68-yard touchdown among his team-high three catches in a Steelers’ victory against the Detroit Lions at Heinz Field.

Brown was the Steelers’ second sixth-round draft choice that year and the second receiver they took in that draft. In other words, as difficult as it is to believe now, in some ways he was the Damoun Patterson of the 2010 preseason opener.

However, far more likely than the first preseason game’s previously-unheralded star becoming a future Hall of Famer is him essentially peaking as a pro in that game.

Like Patterson (and Adeniyi) Thursday, here are players from the past four Steelers’ preseason openers who might have laid claim to “Player of the game” status:

2017 – Terrell Watson had a game-high 44 rushing yards, and the game’s longest carry: a 15-yard touchdown

2016 – Doran Grant had a 39-yard interception return for a touchdown

2015 – Dri Archer was the Steelers’ leading rusher and receiver; Kevin Fogg had an interception and Jordan Zumwalt was their leading tackler

2014 – Derek Moye caught twice as many passes as anyone; Dan Molls had a team-high nine tackles

Other than starring in a recent Steelers’ preseason opener, what do all of the seven above players have in common? Each was cut by the team by the end of that season (all but Archer and Watson were cut before the end of the preseason).

Maybe Patterson (and Adeniyi) are different. The fun of the preseason is finding out.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...wn-or-the-next

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mystically and magically, we find WR prospects like nobody else. LOL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Mystically and magically, we find WR prospects like nobody else. LOL
    We need to stop drafting DBs altogether.
    Remember Juju DESTOYING Burfect?

Draft twice as many receivers and convert half to defense.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-10-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Damoun Patterson: Man on a mission

By JIM WEXELL
    Aug 14

LATROBE - It came begrudgingly but Mike Tomlin did admit that wide receiver Damoun Patterson "made some plays" in the Steelers' preseason opener.

Just don't tell Tomlin that Patterson has had a good camp.

"YOU said good camp," Tomlin repeated in correcting his post-game questioner.

It inferred that Tomlin did not say that, would not say that, WILL not say that.

After all, Patterson is a rookie.

But if there's one rookie who won't get a big head, it's Patterson. He's gone through way too much to ever worry about coachly semantics. Just consider his odyssey:

* Born in Orlando, Florida, Patterson, one of nine children, spent much of his childhood seeking shelter.

"We went from hotel to hotel, moving every year," said Patterson. "I never stayed in the same school district. I was either staying with family, staying with my mom. Then my junior year I stayed with family a little bit. When it was time to graduate I stayed with friends until I graduated high school."

He was homeless. After two years at Edgewater High, Patterson graduated from Wekiva High. But recruiters weren't banging on his door.

* Utah State showed interest, but Patterson, even with a a 2.9 grade-point average, had to wait a year for a scholarship to come available and enrolled in a prep school in New Mexico.

New Mexico?

"One of my high school teammates found out about it and told me," Patterson said. "I didn't have no other options, so I decided to go there."

But after three games, the program fell apart and Patterson was stranded there until November.

* Patterson remained in touch with the receivers coach at Utah State and sent film from prep school. He was told he could walk on in 2014.

Patterson started three games, caught two passes, made six tackles on special teams, but at the end of the season he was told to wait another year on that scholarship and decided he should take his talents elsewhere.

* Back to Florida, Patterson survived by his wits, sometimes living in his car, until he heard from one of his prep-school teammates that Highland Junior College in Kansas had a scholarship available. So he was off to the northeast tip of Kansas, bordering Nebraska, and caught 25 passes for 437 yards, an average of 17.5 yards per catch.

* Youngstown State, possibly through Coach Bo Pelini's network in Nebraska, heard of Patterson and the receiver finally was awarded a scholarship. At long last, someone really wanted Damoun Patterson.

"I loved it," he said of Youngstown, Ohio. "I loved playing for Bo Pelini. It's similar to this area. Not too much difference. And I came right down the road, 45 minutes away from Pittsburgh."

At YSU, Patterson didn't catch as many balls as his current camp production might indicate. In two seasons at YSU, he caught 52 passes for 1,039 yards (20.0 ypc.) and six touchdowns.

Did Pelini run the triple option or something?

"Nah," Patterson said. "We just fed our running back the pill a whole lot."

Patterson also in those two seasons made 17 special teams tackles, an important skill for someone trying to make an NFL team as a fifth or sixth receiver.

"I love special teams," he said. "Gunner and kickoff, I love it man. I love going down there. You get to show more speed and you don't have to worry about a ball or adjusting to a ball."

Still, it didn't add up to a "W" for Patterson, who wasn't drafted, nor was he signed until the draft was two weeks old. That, he said, may have been due to the media reporting he had signed with the Atlanta Falcons immediately after the draft.

But the deal had never been consummated. It was yet another shattered dream for an athlete who in second grade wrote an essay about one day playing for the Falcons, his favorite team.

"My grandma still has it," Patterson said of the essay. "I was going to put it out if it did go through, but things didn't work out."

Patterson still refused to quit. His agent arranged for him to attend the Steelers' rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis. And he made it. Patterson was wanted once again.

"I don't know how to give up," he said. "I just keep going."

Patterson spent the rest of the spring working with the Steelers, but didn't stand out until the pads came on here at St. Vincent College. Timed at 4.50 at his pro day, Patterson has routinely looked faster in getting behind the Steelers' secondary.

"Man, don't believe it," he said of the 40 time listed under his name at NFLDraftScout.com. "I'm way faster than that. That was at pro day. When I was doing my pro day training I got down in the 4.3s. ... I'm not sure how accurate any of those numbers are."

The site also lists the 6-0 1/2, 192-pounder as having a vertical jump of 32.5 inches. But Patterson appeared to clear that number easily with an eye-popping backflip after his eye-popping touchdown catch in last Thursday's preseason win.

Patterson snared a 29-yard laser from Josh Dobbs for the score with 18 seconds left in the first half after beating Rasul Douglas on a post to the end zone. The backflip was unplanned.

"He made a heck of a catch," said Dobbs. "He’s been doing that all camp so I have a lot of trust in him. Before the game, this was his first game, so I was just telling him to take it one play at a time, and I’m coming to you so be ready when the ball is thrown. And he definitely was. He made a great play in the back of the end zone."

Dobbs provided the following report on the 23-year-old from Orlando:

"Good consistency. That's what he's been doing throughout camp. He consistently runs by guys. He's quick in and out of his breaks. Makes the contested catch. That's what he's able to take to the field. It was cool to see that, especially from a quarterback, to grow that chemistry and that connection from OTAs, to see him take it on to the field once game day came. Hopefully he'll continue to grow throughout the preseason."

Patterson has passed every test, but the next will be playing against an NFL defense that knows he's coming, that No. 83 isn't just Pittsburgh's camp fodder.

That's how his signing appeared to be intended, but with two small kids and a third on the way, Patterson has good reason to make it in professional football.

"I talk about my kids all the time. That's a big thing for me," he said. "It's a whole lotta want-to in there. It's a reason why."

It's the reason behind an odyssey that's included enough setbacks to make most mortals call it quits.

"I'm on a mission," he said. "I'm a man on a mission, so I didn't really think too much about those setbacks. They were just reasons for me to grow."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ion-120660764/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    We need to stop drafting DBs altogether.
    Remember Juju DESTOYING Burfect?

Draft twice as many receivers and convert half to defense.
    haha..sure hate to see a talent like his not make the roster.