Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Bell Really Want a Long Term Deal?

Legend

User Info Menu

Does Bell Really Want a Long Term Deal?

Put this in another thread but maybe worth its own discussion

I'm actually beginning to wonder if Bell really wants a long term contract. He obviously has interests outside of football and will have made about $30M before he is 30 years old. That is generational money no matter who you are.

I would not be shocked if Bell tests free agency next year and doesn't get near what he hopes he will and then decides to retire. If you look at the big picture and get over the football obsession as a fan, it is probably a good play on Bell's part. He leaves healthy and rich.

Legend

User Info Menu

he does, just with a lot of guaranteed money.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

KDKA stated he was offered 15 mil per but I'm not sure how many years or how much was guaranteed but that is a boat load of $$$.
    He would have reset the market for rb's.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sure he does...

hawaiiansteel summed it up perfectly
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

My guess is yes. But who knows. He may try to follow the Revis model when you try to string together a bunch of 1 year deals while you're an elite player and only go for longer term when you start to decline. My guess is that is the best way to optimize lifetime earnings (as long as you don't get severely injured) because your deal keeps going up at the rate of the inflation of the cap.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell will be with a team that gives him the most up front money. That will ensure that he can be with a team at least 3 or 4 seasons before they can cut him without doing significant damage to the team's cap.

People also need to keep in mind that the next CBA is only a few years away. There might be a long strike or hold out if an agreement isn't reached. This is probably another factor in Bell's decision to get as much money as possible now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Bell will be with a team that gives him the most up front money. That will ensure that he can be with a team at least 3 or 4 seasons before they can cut him without doing significant damage to the team's cap.

People also need to keep in mind that the next CBA is only a few years away. There might be a long strike or hold out if an agreement isn't reached. This is probably another factor in Bell's decision to get as much money as possible now.
    That negotiation will be VERY interesting for both sides. The decline in NFL attendance could accelerate with a long hold out, players wanting guaranteed $$$, fewer games, something's gotta give.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    That negotiation will be VERY interesting for both sides. The decline in NFL attendance could accelerate with a long hold out, players wanting guaranteed $$$, fewer games, something's gotta give.
    what the players are really going to want is reduced power for Roger Goodell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

I hadn't thought of that. The NHL will probably have another work stoppage (because they lock them out every time) and I think that Betman has advised teams not to give out guaranteed money

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    On the radio today they made a good point. MLS attendance is better than most NHL teams and probably half of the NBA.. but soccer doesn’t translate well when it comes to TV and the ratings are horrible.

The TV ratings are the driving force and the NFL keeps signing mega deals. Even though ratings were down 10% last year the NFL still had 20 of the 30 highest rated prime time shows last year.

NFL makes 7 BILLION a year off their TV deals.

ESPN is losing money and chord cutters are the real problem once this deal is up.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"