Thread: Just finished rewatching PIT-JAGS

Legend

User Info Menu

Just finished rewatching PIT-JAGS

Yea. glutton for punishment but needed to remind myself what the Steelers defense was like at the end of the season. No surprises after reviewing.
    MLBs were yuck. Spence has heart but he was overmatched most of the day. Mitchell? had opportunities to make some gamechanging plays but alas he was terrible tracking the ball in the air.
    Missed tackles! yikes. I hope the new coaching staff is drilling it into this years crop on the fundamentals of tackling.

Honestly looked like the Steeler defense was average against a playoff ready opponent. The positive is the Steelers took steps this spring to upgrade where they could but the LBs will be the key to whether the they can get back to the playoffs this season. And their schedule is not patty cake either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yea. glutton for punishment but needed to remind myself what the Steelers defense was like at the end of the season. No surprises after reviewing.
    MLBs were yuck. Spence has heart but he was overmatched most of the day. Mitchell? had opportunities to make some gamechanging plays but alas he was terrible tracking the ball in the air.
    Missed tackles! yikes. I hope the new coaching staff is drilling it into this years crop on the fundamentals of tackling.

Honestly looked like the Steeler defense was average against a playoff ready opponent. The positive is the Steelers took steps this spring to upgrade where they could but the LBs will be the key to whether the they can get back to the playoffs this season. And their schedule is not patty cake either.
    yeah, I saw it on also but just couldn't bring myself to watch it again...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

MLBs were yuck. Spence has heart but he was overmatched most of the day.
    Spence should not be starting, and Vince Williams is not that good without Shazier next to him. Not sure that having Bostic or Dirty Red in there will be enough to remedy that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Honestly looked like the Steeler defense was average against a playoff ready opponent.
    And like they did not prepare adquately for that opponent. Almost like they were looking ahead to the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    The positive is the Steelers took steps this spring to upgrade where they could but the LBs will be the key to whether the they can get back to the playoffs this season.
    Starting ILBs are not as good as this time last year. The proposed upgrade to the OLBs is to have them switch sides -- hope that works, we'll see. Might have some nice pieces for subpackages this season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think that another potential positive is that they weren't that bad against the Pats with Spence in there. I think that this points to the fact that we were built to be better against the pass and a consequence of that is that we were bad against the run. I don't think that's a bad trade as most good teams are good passing teams...we just ran up against one that was built like an old Steelers team.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Spence should not be starting, and Vince Williams is not that good without Shazier next to him. Not sure that having Bostic or Dirty Red in there will be enough to remedy that.

And like they did not prepare adquately for that opponent. Almost like they were looking ahead to the Patriots.

Starting ILBs are not as good as this time last year. The proposed upgrade to the OLBs is to have them switch sides -- hope that works, we'll see. Might have some nice pieces for subpackages this season.
    I don't think we were looking ahead. That Jags team was really good.

Not sure why folks act like we beat them the first time and forced 5 TO's. They bullied us the first time WITH Shazier on the field. They are built to play our brand of football and are actually better at it than we are right now.

No way we have 7 TO's in 2 games and somehow act like we were the better team. They matched up perfectly against us and were 2 or 3 plays from beating the Pats in Foxboro.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah..I've watched the game 4 times and I don't need to see it again. I agree with you, Buzz and Hawaiian.

Banned

User Info Menu

Watching it right now.

Offense has their chances and never responded when the D got a stop.

The D definitely gave up too many terrible 3rd and longs.

One other issue with Haley. Down by 7 in the 3rd quarter and we ran 15 straight pass plays like we were down by 21.

Ben’s throws on 4th down tho? Ridiculous
    Last edited by feltdizz; 07-16-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Watching it right now.

Offense has their chances and never responded when the D got a stop.

The D definitely gave up too many terrible 3rd and longs.

One other issue with Haley. Down by 7 in the 3rd quarter and we ran 15 straight pass plays like we were down by 21.

Ben’s throws on 4th down tho? Ridiculous
    In fairness, JuJu was held on the one 4th down pass else he might have had a chance at catching that ball. Still... low percentage vs a QB sneak.

Banned

User Info Menu

In fairness, JuJu was held on the one 4th down pass else he might have had a chance at catching that ball. Still... low percentage vs a QB sneak.
    yes, and Eli was wide open too right past the marker.