Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perhaps Explains Why Mason Rudolph Pick was so Smart

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps Explains Why Mason Rudolph Pick was so Smart

Early indications are the 2019 QB class is really weak. IMO great move by the FO to get a talented QB when we did

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772525-nfl-scouts-are-terrified-of-2019-qb-draft-class

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...qb-draft-class

The pick was smart on so many levels. Sheer brilliance on the part of Colbert & Co. Even if all it accomplishes is refocusing Ben, it will have been worth a 3rd round pick after trading MB. But I just have this feeling about Rudolph that he's going to be something special.

Legend

User Info Menu

What does the 2020 draft class look like? Isn't Ben signed for 2 more years?
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What does the 2020 draft class look like? Isn't Ben signed for 2 more years?
    He is...

But, he also made it abundantly clear that he could retire at any time...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He is...

But, he also made it abundantly clear that he could retire at any time...
    good point

I would've preferred to wait until his contract ended BUT this pick definitely proved me wrong. I have no idea if Rudolph will pan out and even if it doesn't.. the fire he probably lit under Ben is more than worth it.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    good point

I would've preferred to wait until his contract ended BUT this pick definitely proved me wrong. I have no idea if Rudolph will pan out and even if it doesn't.. the fire he probably lit under Ben is more than worth it.
    Yeah, when the face of your franchise talks about “taking it year by year” or that he “doesn’t have it anymore”, then you have to plan for that contingency...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Actually, Ben made it very clear to Ed Bouchette (Post-Gazette) back in January that he planned to play at least 3 more seasons. It was all over social media as well as that particular paper so I don't think the Steelers missed that.

Rudolph was simply a value pick where the team stuck to their board. They saw a guy that they rated higher than other players at that spot in the draft and took him. I don't think it was brilliant or stupid, it's just what made sense at the time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Actually, Ben made it very clear to Ed Bouchette (Post-Gazette) back in January that he planned to play at least 3 more seasons. It was all over social media as well as that particular paper so I don't think the Steelers missed that.

Rudolph was simply a value pick where the team stuck to their board. They saw a guy that they rated higher than other players at that spot in the draft and took him. I don't think it was brilliant or stupid, it's just what made sense at the time.
    But he also made it very clear that he was taking it year by year the season before. I think that means that he's unsure (which is totally fair).

And I think that made the Steelers feel like it would be silly not to take a QB rated as highly as Rudolph in the 3rd.

Legend

User Info Menu

didn't we move up to take him?

and it doesn't matter what Ben said AFTER he contemplated retirement. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube after that word comes out.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

This is from January 16th:

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/in...s_jaguars.html

On coming back next season

I’m just playing it one year at a time. During the season I take it one game at a time and one season at a time. I’m excited to come back next year. I know Ed said that he’d heard from guys something about me playing another three years. I’m not going to look past one year. I’m going to look forward to next year and give it everything I have because I’m really excited about what we have here. I’m excited about the players. Obviously excited about my linemen all coming back. They help keep me healthy. And so, I’m just really excited about the potential that we have and how close we’ve been and just how I think moving forward we’ve got a good chance. So I’m excited for one year and that’s next year.”