Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: David Carr thinks the Steelers' stars are carrying Ben Roethlisberger

Legend

User Info Menu

David Carr thinks the Steelers' stars are carrying Ben Roethlisberger

His list of the top-10 signal-callers in the NFL omits the Steelers QB. Fair or not?

ADAM BITTNER
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JUN 25, 2018

Is Ben Roethlisberger over the hill?

The Steelers’ quarterback has come down on both sides of that question over the past year, but NFL.com’s David Carr seems pretty confident that the 36-year-old’s teammates are carrying him at this point in his career.

The former NFL signal-caller — best known as the Houston Texans’ first-ever draft pick back in 2002 — produced his list of the league’s top 10 quarterbacks over the weekend, and Roethlisberger surprisingly wasn’t on it despite his pair of Super Bowl wins. The reason?

Yes, he's a future Hall of Famer and there's no doubt he can still help the Steelers. But he has the most talented skill players in the league on his unit, and that pair — Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell — makes him look great 14 seasons in. I don't think Big Ben could win a ton of games without them at this stage in his career.

That’s certainly a fair point in isolation. Brown and Bell are the types of players who make everyone around them look better. That analysis should certainly apply to their quarterback.

The problem is that Carr undercuts his point pretty badly in explaining the rest of his rankings.

Five of his choices are age 33 and older. Tom Brady, 40, slots in at No. 1. Aaron Rodgers, 34 and injured for most of last season, was ranked second. And 39-year-old Drew Brees came in at No. 3, because...

Brees’ numbers dipped from past seasons, but it's understandable when considering the players in the Saints' historic backfield (Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram).

Uh ... isn’t the presence of transcendent talent to carry him the reason Roethlisberger was left off the list entirely?

Adding insult to contradiction, Carr goes on to list Phillip Rivers — a 36-year-old member of Roethlisberger’s draft class — at No. 7 before delivering the real gobsmacker: San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo at No. 10.

The former second-round pick spent most of his carer mopping up for Tom Brady in New England before getting off to an admittedly fast start with his new team, winning his first five starts with the 49ers last season.

That’s a cool story. Until you consider that Roethlisberger started his career by winning his first 14 starts, losing only to Brady and the Patriots in the 2004 AFC championship.

Roethlisberger may not be among the elite of the elite at this point in his career, but until Garoppolo accomplishes at least that much, maybe Carr should make room for one more old guy on his list.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s.../stories/20180

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

His list of the top-10 signal-callers in the NFL omits the Steelers QB. Fair or not?

ADAM BITTNER
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JUN 25, 2018

Is Ben Roethlisberger over the hill?

The Steelers’ quarterback ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s.../stories/20180
    Click bait to be sure. But it has been a long time since I've felt that Ben had the magic of his early years.

If it comes down to Ben in the big game (like that last 85 seconds against the Red Birds in the SB) … man that would be fine to see him go out in a blaze of glory one more time.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Just about 6 months ago Ben threw for over 500yds in one game. I’m thinking that he’s probably still a pretty damn good NFL quarterback.

Legend

User Info Menu

Click bait, they know how to get the party started.

AB and Bell definitely make Ben better but it's not his fault his FO knows how to draft weapons on offense.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Just about 6 months ago Ben threw for over 500yds in one game. I’m thinking that he’s probably still a pretty damn good NFL quarterback.
    And if our defense hadn't turned to mush, I think last season overall would have brought a ring and be thought of now as magical.

Rivers? I'd take Ben over Rivers every day of the week. Garoppolo is not even in the conversation until he does something consistent as a starter. Derek Carr as the number 4? Seriously?

I will agree with Rodgers, Brady and Brees as a top 3. And I'm giving Rodgers the number 1 spot. But Ben is in the top 10 before Garoppolo.

Legend

User Info Menu

Aaron Rodgers was 0-35 when trailing by more than 1 point in the fourth quarter vs teams with a winning record

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ip-stat-012217

quite shocking
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    And who is David Carr?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    And if our defense hadn't turned to mush, I think last season overall would have brought a ring and be thought of now as magical.

Rivers? I'd take Ben over Rivers every day of the week. Garoppolo is not even in the conversation until he does something consistent as a starter. Derek Carr as the number 4? Seriously?

I will agree with Rodgers, Brady and Brees as a top 3. And I'm giving Rodgers the number 1 spot. But Ben is in the top 10 before Garoppolo.
    There’s some tape on Garoppolo now; he hasn’t done enough to justify ANY ranking so far.

Ben is a HOF; David Carr is an Ass Clown. He’s had no success at the pro level to make legitimate judgments on anybody. As a matter of fact, he had his spirit broke by all those sacks and beat downs he took.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    There’s some tape on Garoppolo now; he hasn’t done enough to justify ANY ranking so far.

Ben is a HOF; David Carr is an Ass Clown. He’s had no success at the pro level to make legitimate judgments on anybody. As a matter of fact, he had his spirit broke by all those sacks and beat downs he took.
    if he praised Ben tho...

just sayin'

haha
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Aaron Rodgers was 0-35 when trailing by more than 1 point in the fourth quarter vs teams with a winning record

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ip-stat-012217

quite shocking
    It does sound shocking on the surface. But that also seems like a pretty selective statistic to make some kind of point. Anytime someone loses a game to a team with a winning record, you're probably trailing by more than 1 point at some point in the 4th quarter. I'd like to see that exact same statistic for all the top QBs.

All you have to do is watch Aaron Rodgers play to see he's one of the best that's ever played.