Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We play Tampa on MNF in week 3, but Jameis Winston won't be under center

Legend

User Info Menu

We play Tampa on MNF in week 3, but Jameis Winston won't be under center

By Michael David Smith
    June 21, 2018, 6:05 PM EDT
    Reports: Jameis Winston to be suspended three games, will not appeal

Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston is expected to be suspended for three games as a result of the accusation that he groped an Uber driver in March of 2016.

The looming suspension was first reported by ESPN Radio in Tallahassee and has now been confirmed by multiple reporters.

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, Winston is not expected to appeal. The NFL has broad authority to suspend players, so an appeal likely wouldn’t do much good. An appeal that stretches out so long it lasts into the 2019 season could also cost Winston a lot of money: A three-game suspension in 2018 would cost him $124,000, or three-seventeenths of his 2018 base salary of $705,000. But a three-game suspension in 2019 would cost him $3.7 million, or three-seventeenths of his 2019 base salary of $20.9 million.

What is unclear is whether Winston is being suspended because the NFL’s investigation verified the woman’s claim that Winston groped her, or because Winston failed to disclose the accusation. NFL rules require all players to voluntarily come forward if they are accused of any violations of the league’s personal-conduct policy. Winston may profess that he didn’t grope the Uber driver, but he was aware of her accusation and he didn’t disclose it.

One way or another, Winston is likely to miss the first three games of the season.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Banned

User Info Menu

Oh, bummer....

Legend

User Info Menu

haha..............
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The girl probably got groped because she has the crabs and Winston wanted in on that (he does have a history with crabs).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nice windfall for what looks like a pivotal early season road game, imo

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

should be a win - but don't think for one second that unless we've made significant progress on defense, ryan fitzpatrick can't hang 28 points on us.
    [URL="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/stimko74/media/slpo9.jpeg.html"]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...o74/slpo9.jpeg[/URL]

2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Banned

User Info Menu

Winston sucks. I prefer him over the backup.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Winston sucks. I prefer him over the backup.
    Last season, Jameis Winston had a 3-10 record as a starter in Tampa, while his backup Ryan Fitzpatrick was 2-1 in his 3 starts.

Granted, Fitzpatrick's two wins were against the Jets in Tampa and Dolphins in Miami (although, to be fair, Brady and Belichick have losing records when playing the Dolphins in Miami during their careers).

Winston started last season winning 2 of the first 3 games, and finished the season with a win, but in between, he lost 9 straight games he started.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like our chances against Fitzpatrick. With this brutal schedule, we need all the help we can get. I can mark that one down as a "W" now. If we can't defense against Fitzpatrick, then we don't deserve to win.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Last season, Jameis Winston had a 3-10 record as a starter in Tampa, while his backup Ryan Fitzpatrick was 2-1 in his 3 starts.

Granted, Fitzpatrick's two wins were against the Jets in Tampa and Dolphins in Miami (although, to be fair, Brady and Belichick have losing records when playing the Dolphins in Miami during their careers).

Winston started last season winning 2 of the first 3 games, and finished the season with a win, but in between, he lost 9 straight games he started.
    Winston is erratic, so is Fitzpatrick but that dude has been known to get hot and put up some serious yards.