Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger isnít thinking about his next contract

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger isnít thinking about his next contract

Roethlisberger isnít thinking about his next contract[/h]Posted by Mike Florio on June 17, 2018, 6:31 PM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...&sf191996003=1

A year removed from musing about retirement, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger plans to keep going. Which means that he could indeed be going beyond the duration of his current contract, which expires after the 2019 season.
    Roethlisberger says heís not thinking about that.

ďI have two years on my contract. Iím not going to be one to sit here and worry about my contract Roethlisberger said Sunday at a football camp in Pittsburgh. ďThatís not my job. My job is to play football. Iíll let my representation, the Steelers worry about all that stuff. To me, itís all about going out and playing now. I think there are a lot more, maybe a lot more important people who need to get their deals done now. For me to do it two years out, if it doesnít make sense for the team, Iím not going to sit here and worry about it.Ē
    That could be viewed as a not-so-subtle slap at Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers who also has two years left on his contract, who makes only $150,000 more per year on average that Roethlisberger, who has fewer Super Bowl wins that Roethlisberger, and who seems to be very motivated to get a new contract.
    ďI care about record-breaking Super Bowl wins and things like that ó thatís more important to me,Ē Roethlisberger said.
    ďItís important, too, to understand as quarterback of this team, sometimes you almost have to leave a little bit of money behind for other guys,Ē Roethlisberger added. ďThatís not my job, thatís not my thing to worry about. Thatís why I have agents.Ē
    Still, with the top of the market at $30 million per year, Roethlisberger has every right to feel underpaid. Even if heís not saying or doing anything to suggest that heíd like to have his contract adjusted.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    “It’s important, too, to understand as quarterback of this team, sometimes you almost have to leave a little bit of money behind for other guys,”
    Wow, that's refreshing (and a little surprising) to hear from a QB. Hope his next contract reflects that.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Wow, that's refreshing (and a little surprising) to hear from a QB. Hope his next contract reflects that.
    He is saying all the right things...

and I definitely hope he takes a hometown discount since he has made a boat load already.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He is saying all the right things...

and I definitely hope he takes a hometown discount since he has made a boat load already.
    Agree. And I think he will. He's never been overly aggressive with his contracts. I think he still appreciates that the team stuck with him through the misery of the assault allegations against him. And he has a wife from the Burgh and kids with her. No need to uproot them to seek out a few million more when he's already set for life 5 times over.

Legend

User Info Menu

I still think Ben just plays out the final two years of his current contract then rides off into the sunset.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I still think Ben just plays out the final two years of his current contract then rides off into the sunset.
    I could see that happening if at least one of those last two seasons ends in a ring. But if he doesn't get his 3rd ring, I think he'll play another contract - assuming he's healthy and the team is still contending.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I could see that happening if at least one of those last two seasons ends in a ring. But if he doesn't get his 3rd ring, I think he'll play another contract - assuming he's healthy and the team is still contending.
    Didn't he say he wanted to break records? Terry Bradshaw has 4 rings and Ben only has 2. I think he stays even if they win another in the next year or two.

Banned

User Info Menu

I think Ben stays until Rudolph is moved

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think Ben stays until Rudolph is moved
    Pull a Brady-Garoppolo?
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sounds like a man who's made peace with the fact that he's on the back 9.