Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Players for all Teams in the AFC North

Legend

User Info Menu

Top Ten Players for all Teams in the AFC North

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow, what a tough choice!

I don't know ... Troy and Jack Ham after Ben? I can't argue, it's an impossible set of choices!

Pittsburgh Steelers

1) Joe Greene , DT (1969-1981)
    2) Franco Harris, RB (1972-1983)
    3)
    Jack Lambert , LB (1974-1984)
    4) Mel Blount , DB (1970-1983)
    5) Terry Bradshaw , QB (1970-1983)
    6) Ben Roethlisberger , QB (2004-present)
    7) Jack Ham , LB (1971-1982)
    Rod Woodson , DB (1987-1996)
    9) Mike Webster , OL (1974-198
    10) Troy Polamalu, S (2003-2014)
    11) Antonio Brown, WR (2010-present)
    Coach: Chuck Noll (1969-1991)
    The NFL's Steelers are soccer's Germany -- clinical, consistent, ruthless champions. Whittling the long winning history of the Pittsburgh Steelers, flush with 17 Hall of Fame players and six Super Bowl titles, to a list of just 11 legends is a near impossible task.

I am bound to upset
    Steelers fans loyal to Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, or Jerome "The Bus" Bettis, or Pittsburgh original Ernie Stautner, but there's only room for so many Black and Gold busts in this subjective offseason exercise. No Steeler made more Pro Bowls than Greene (10), whose selection in the 1969 NFL Draft signaled the start of -- and sustained -- one of the league's great dynasties. Along with Mean Joe, Harris, Lambert, Blount, Bradshaw, Ham and Webster all won four titles in the 1970s. Big Ben is statistically superior to Bradshaw in nearly every category, but he played in a different era and doesn't have exactly the same Super Bowl pedigree, having gone 2-1 thus far. One more Lombardi, and Roethlisberger might usurp the FOX pregame show analyst. Woodson, Polamalu and Brown have just two titles with the Steelers between them, but they were (are, in Brown's case) household names in their eras and will all go down as top-five all-time talents at their position.

Follow Jeremy Bergman on Twitter @JABergman (https://twitter.com/JABergman).
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 06-17-2018 at 09:58 PM.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Wow, what a tough choice!

I don't know ... Troy and Jack Ham after Ben? I can't argue, it's an impossible set of choices!
    Bettis, Swann and Stallworth are more deserving to be on the list over Webster. I think you could even make the case for LC Greenwood over Webster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Bettis, Swann and Stallworth are more deserving to be on the list over Webster. I think you could even make the case for LC Greenwood over Webster.
    Even looking solely at the same position, I think Dirt Dawson was an all around better center than Iron Mike.

Steeler All-Time Centers (in my opinion):
    1. Dermontti Dawson
    2. Mike Webster
    3. Maurkice Pouncey
    4. Ray Mansfield
    5. Jeff Hartings

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Even looking solely at the same position, I think Dirt Dawson was an all around better center than Iron Mike.

1. Dermontti Dawson
    2. Mike Webster
    3. Maurkice Pouncey
    4. Ray Mansfield
    5. Jeff Hartings

Agree with your list and the order they are ranked.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

With a team that's won more superbowls than anyone else and has been a model franchise for success since the 70's - it's silly to try to pick only 10. You might get away with that for loser teams - even baltimore with it's 2 SB's, it was probably a challenge to even remember 10 players let alone top 10. The beauty of being a steelers fan is we could come up with a top 50 players of all time - and still argue about who was left off!!!
    [URL="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/stimko74/media/slpo9.jpeg.html"]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...o74/slpo9.jpeg[/URL]

2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

A top 10 is really hard to define, but I'll take a shot and won't pick all the conventional players where most would:

1. Terry
    2. Ben
    3. Mean Joe
    4. Le'Veon
    5. James Harrison
    6. Jack Ham
    7. Mel Blount
    8. Jack Lambert
    9. AB
    10. Troy

Honorable mentions - I really wanted to sneak in Juju and Hines into the list.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

1. Dermontti Dawson
    2. Mike Webster
    3. Maurkice Pouncey
    4. Ray Mansfield
    5. Jeff Hartings
    Agreed. And I think there's the biggest gap between Dirt and Webby on that list.

I was going down the list of most positions and think you could make an argument for a better player in each slot. Stautner vs Mean Joe, Le'Veon vs Franco, Harrison vs Lambert, etc. We have a pretty cool history.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    A top 10 is really hard to define, but I'll take a shot and won't pick all the conventional players where most would:

1. Terry
    2. Ben
    3. Mean Joe
    4. Le'Veon
    5. James Harrison
    6. Jack Ham
    7. Mel Blount
    8. Jack Lambert
    9. AB
    10. Troy

Honorable mentions - I really wanted to sneak in Juju and Hines into the list.
    I don't see how there is a list without AB on it.

I know folks love rings so those players get more shine but we are talking best players right?
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't see how there is a list without AB on it.

I know folks love rings so those players get more shine but we are talking best players right?
    I dunno what the right way to rank em is? Is best player the most athletically perfect or most clutch in the biggest moments?

I thought Bradshaw was the most clutch of all. By no means is he even as talented as Ben imho, but he threw for 300 yards 7 times in his career and 2 of those times were in the SuperBowl. He came up big in big moments. I could go on.

Then how do you compare longevity? Ham and Lambert were better LBs than Harrison for example because they did it longer and had more success during their era. However, neither comes close in comparison to Harrison's best season. Which is more valuable?

Overall too many considerations to count, so I went with my gut.