Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't rule out Mason Rudolph as the Steelers' backup QB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Boy , real camp is going to be good; So many stories and situations to sort out. Can't wait to see what Rudolph will show us in preseason too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I have a really good feeling about Rudolph. He's just an impressive dude. Will be amazing if he's our next, true franchise QB.
    What I like the most about him is his poise and confidence when questioned. You can see it in his eyes that he won't be satisfied as a back up. He wants Ben's job...and not only that thinks he can get it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If Rudolph earns the backup QB job outright, then I don't see any way we keep Landry. I think we try to trade him (even if it's for a conditional 7th or something), and keep Dobbs as our QB3.
    I think what I said was a bit ambiguous. The "he" I was refering to as the 3rd QB was Rudolph (i.e. But, Jones is a good backup and it's not the end of the world (or Rudolph's career prospects) if [Rudolph is] the #3 this year.)

I agree that we probably don't keep Jones if he gets beat out...although he's not expensive so we probably could if we felt that Dobbs was safe to go to the PS. There may be an argument that having Rudolph around Jones for a year will help him learn to prepare like a backup. Ben also says that he benefits from Jones being in practice. If he helps both Ben and Rudolph get better, I think he could be more valuable than a future 7th.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What I like the most about him is his poise and confidence when questioned. You can see it in his eyes that he won't be satisfied as a back up. He wants Ben's job...and not only that thinks he can get it.
    He better think he can get it. That's what a real competitor is suppose to feel. Rudolph is a young Jedi in training. LOL

Mason Rudolph and Baker Mayfield will be going at it for the next decade or so.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It'll never happen, but imagine if Rudolph was so good in TC and preseason that the team traded Ben off for a couple of premium draft picks. Can you imagine the uproar? Can you imagine how we'd be able to stock the defense with some key FAs with the extra cap space we'd have for the next couple of years?

All that said, I wouldn't want to see us trade Ben. I think he gives us our best shot at winning a Super Bowl in the next few seasons.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Colbert signing key, high priced free agents? I don't think he'd do that under any circumstances. He will do things the bargain basement way regardless. It's just how we operate. And for the most part, it works out.