Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bettis says OTA's too publicized

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Uh..no. They just drafted Guice out of LSU. See? That's my point; all these places you'd normally think would spend foolishly on him will have cheaper, younger, drug free alternatives.
    Not all... some places will have other alternatives but others will definitely pay Bell due to his proven track record.

Also remember, all these college names, half of them won't pan out. Happens all the time.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell has a name that will put @$$es in seats on Sunday...that is what is important to some teams...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Bell has a name that will put @$$es in seats on Sunday...that is what is important to some teams...
    teams are paying RB's 8 mill for half Bell's production.

teams are paying possession WR's $17 mill.

A team or 3 would definitely pay $15 mill for an every down back who averages the most yards from scrimmage the last 5 years
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, I disagree with Feltz and Slap on this one but the good news is we won't have to wait long to find out.
    But I say he's not going to get a better deal then the 14 mil a year we offered.

Time will tell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Well, I disagree with Feltz and Slap on this one but the good news is we won't have to wait long to find out.
    But I say he's not going to get a better deal then the 14 mil a year we offered.

Time will tell.
    For me, it isn’t as much about Bell’s ability as it is that I have little faith in 32 NFL owners agreeing with me that he isn’t worth busting the market wide open...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

As much money as he wants, I'd rather try to spend less on RB and focus on spending more to upgrade other positions.

If we're going to spend 15-17m in cap on Bell, consider what kind of player other teams are getting for that kind of spend. JJ Watt, Bouye, Calais Campbell just to name a few. I'd rather have an impact defender. Plus we already spend a lot on our OLine. That should mean a decent RB should have success behind that line.

Why not spend more on D?

Last year we had the 4th highest spend on our O and were just below the middle of the pack on D spending at 18. Isn't our problem a Defensive one? We're not going to help our D breaking the bank on a RB. I don't think it's prudent to spend big money on skill positions like RB and WR. Yet our top spend is on our QB, WR, and RB. I don't think that's the path to success.

I'd rather see our top salaries after QB be on LT, DE, CB, S. The path to winning a superbowl in my mind is a combo of your QB play + defensive pressure. If Ben's worth all the money he's getting, you can't also pay his skill position partners. Just look at NE. They're always in the SuperBowl and it's because of their QB + defense / coaching. They wouldn't pay for AB and Bell. We shouldn't either. Even though both are great and I like them.