Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bettis says OTA's too publicized

Legend

User Info Menu

Bettis says OTA's too publicized

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201806120110

I agree, 3 years ago did any of us care who showed up at OTA's or keep a running tally?

NFL does a great job of turning the NFL into a full year.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with Bettis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It used to be a given that vets would not be at these "optional" camps and only show up when the real mandatory training camp rolled around. I have no problem with the older guys only showing up later in the summer.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree as well. But Bettis is now part of the the business that's responsible for shedding light on OTA's!

Quote Originally Posted by Bettis
    “Ultimately, it’s a business and, unfortunately, if it’s not here, then it’s going to be somewhere else,” Bettis said. “Le’Veon Bell is a great player, so if the Steelers won’t pay him, then there’s going to be a ton of teams lining up to pay him.”
    Not sure I agree with him here. The Steelers were and are willing to pay him. Bell just hasn't been willing to accept. " I'ma need 15 a year and they know this". Then "Imma need 17". All Bell knows is that he wants MORE.

I don't think teams will line up to pay him $17M/year. Someone like the Redskins might. But I just don't see a line of teams willing to throw that kind of money at a RB. Dual-threat or not.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I agree as well. But Bettis is now part of the the business that's responsible for shedding light on OTA's!

Not sure I agree with him here. The Steelers were and are willing to pay him. Bell just hasn't been willing to accept. " I'ma need 15 a year and they know this". Then "Imma need 17". All Bell knows is that he wants MORE.

I don't think teams will line up to pay him $17M/year. Someone like the Redskins might. But I just don't see a line of teams willing to throw that kind of money at a RB. Dual-threat or not.
    Supposedly another good class of RB's are coming out next year. So I can't see him getting more then the 14 mil we offered.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Bell's number was always $15M. He publicized it with that rap song a while back, and I don't think he's moved off that number at all.

However, with negotiations, the agent tends to start high and then come down a little at a time, while the team tends to start low and then come up a little at a time, until you can hopefully agree on a number in the middle somewhere.

Sounds like the agent and the team did this last offseason (based on the agent saying that he thought Bell should take the last deal offered), but Bell apparently wasn't budging from that original $15M number, to the surprise of his agent, the team, and his mother as well.

So this season, he started higher ($17M in the more recent rap song), which gives him a little bit a leeway to negotiate down to his preferred number, which I still believe is $15M.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    So this season, he started higher ($17M in the more recent rap song), which gives him a little bit a leeway to negotiate down to his preferred number, which I still believe is $15M.
    That's possible. But to Bettis' point, I don't think teams will be "lining up" to pay him $15M/year. Someone probably will. But I think it's unlikely that a top, contending team will. I could definitely see the Redskins doing it. Alex Smith one year. Bell the next. Big splash free agent signings is what they're all about.

Legend

User Info Menu

That's possible. But to Bettis' point, I don't think teams will be "lining up" to pay him $15M/year. Someone probably will. But I think it's unlikely that a top, contending team will. I could definitely see the Redskins doing it. Alex Smith one year. Bell the next. Big splash free agent signings is what they're all about.
    I think it's wild how folks keep saying a contending team won't make that offer.

Guys like Bell and the FO that signs him think his presence will make them a contender. Rams weren't a contender but Gurley and an OL changed that.. along with a coach who isn't afraid of playing the best QB on the team.

If the Redskins had Bell along with regular season ball control Alex Smith? They would probably be the second best team behind Philly in their division. Plus its the NFL and parody runs rampant. It doesn't take much to turn things around.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, Alex Smith wasn't a big splash free agent signing. They traded for Smith and acquired the contract that he had previously signed back in K.C. Washington is the team that would not meet Kirk Cousins' contract demands after franchising him twice (and Le'Veon is following the footsteps of his former college QB in terms of how to deal with being franchise tagged multiple times).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Uh..no. They just drafted Guice out of LSU. See? That's my point; all these places you'd normally think would spend foolishly on him will have cheaper, younger, drug free alternatives.