Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: All the Justification That Was Needed to Dump Bruce Arians

  1. #11
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    That's pretty easy to say now because Brown panned out.

    If I'm not mixing up my seasons, AB was a 6th round rookie receiver with 16 catches and 167 yards (drafted in 2010 playing in the SB in Feb 2011). Sanders wasn't much more as a rookie with 28 catches and 375 yards.

    It also looks like Brown and Sanders both got 3 targets in the SB against GB. Brown caught 1 for 1 yard, and Sanders caught 2 for 17. I think that's actually a pretty reasonable example of Arians trusting Brown despite being a 6th round rookie.
    nah.. I disagree.

    I think AB was electric from the moment he touched the field the first time. From the first time he was given a hat he showed us he was a playmaker. Everyone in the sports bar was wondering why he wasn't getting more playing time. I know he was raw but still, the guy had IT

    One thing that stands out is Sanders had 50 targets with 28 receptions. AB had 19 targets with 16 receptions. Maybe they were all bubble screens but dude had sticky hands.

    Sanders only had 2 catches but he was injured in the 2nd quarter I think..
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB


  2. #12
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nah.. I disagree.

    I think AB was electric from the moment he touched the field the first time. From the first time he was given a hat he showed us he was a playmaker. Everyone in the sports bar was wondering why he wasn't getting more playing time. I know he was raw but still, the guy had IT

    One thing that stands out is Sanders had 50 targets with 28 receptions. AB had 19 targets with 16 receptions. Maybe they were all bubble screens but dude had sticky hands.

    Sanders only had 2 catches but he was injured in the 2nd quarter I think..
    That part seems pretty important.

    In the previous 2 playoff games, Sanders had 10 targets (5 rec, 74 yards) and Brown had 5 targets (4 catches and 99 yards). He had a big game in the WC game against the Ravens that year. The target numbers suggest Sanders would have been a bigger part of the SB game plan than Brown.

    Either way, I don't think many OCs would center the SB game plan around a 6th round rookie WR with 20 NFL receptions (or a 3rd round rookie with 33). The starters were Ward and Wallace who combined for 25 targets / 15 rec / 167 yards / 2 TDs in the SB. It would have been nice if that number was closer to 200 yards, but I seem to remember GB having a pretty good D that year.

    Note: I feel like I remember thinking that it looked like we got two good receivers in the draft after camp and that AB might be as good as Sanders (hard to tell if hindsight is making me remember things differently).

  3. #13
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    That part seems pretty important.

    In the previous 2 playoff games, Sanders had 10 targets (5 rec, 74 yards) and Brown had 5 targets (4 catches and 99 yards). He had a big game in the WC game against the Ravens that year. The target numbers suggest Sanders would have been a bigger part of the SB game plan than Brown.

    Either way, I don't think many OCs would center the SB game plan around a 6th round rookie WR with 20 NFL receptions (or a 3rd round rookie with 33). The starters were Ward and Wallace who combined for 25 targets / 15 rec / 167 yards / 2 TDs in the SB. It would have been nice if that number was closer to 200 yards, but I seem to remember GB having a pretty good D that year.

    Note: I feel like I remember thinking that it looked like we got two good receivers in the draft after camp and that AB might be as good as Sanders (hard to tell if hindsight is making me remember things differently).
    Sanders was said to be a secret weapon in our game plan because he was matched against the 3rd best CB and BA thought Sanders could exploit that mismatch. Once Sanders went down BA said it threw a wrench in their game plan.

    Now imagine if AB was given a few more reps and BA had more faith in him? Maybe he did trust AB and he didn't step up but its definitely a good what if given AB's recent post about Arians not believing in him.

    one other thing, BA only coached AB for 2 years. Probably never had much faith in him. Imagine what Browns career would be like if we never fired him? Coaches can be funny.

    Also makes me wonder about JH sitting on the sideline and never getting playing time under Cowher. It's wild how coaches can miss on players right under their noses.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB


  4. #14
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sanders was said to be a secret weapon in our game plan because he was matched against the 3rd best CB and BA thought Sanders could exploit that mismatch. Once Sanders went down BA said it threw a wrench in their game plan.

    Now imagine if AB was given a few more reps and BA had more faith in him? Maybe he did trust AB and he didn't step up but its definitely a good what if given AB's recent post about Arians not believing in him.

    one other thing, BA only coached AB for 2 years. Probably never had much faith in him. Imagine what Browns career would be like if we never fired him? Coaches can be funny.

    Also makes me wonder about JH sitting on the sideline and never getting playing time under Cowher. It's wild how coaches can miss on players right under their noses.
    I agree that it probably would have been good if AB got more opportunities in the SB (he was 1/3 in that game, but that's a pretty small sample).

    BA may have only coached AB for two years, but he had 124 targets and > 1100 yards in year 2. I don't think that shows any kind of anti-AB bias. Sanders was still on the team that year and got 43 targets 288 yards and only played in 11 games. He did have issues with his foot early in the season, but it's not like we stopped using AB when he came back.

  5. #15
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I agree that it probably would have been good if AB got more opportunities in the SB (he was 1/3 in that game, but that's a pretty small sample).

    BA may have only coached AB for two years, but he had 124 targets and > 1100 yards in year 2. I don't think that shows any kind of anti-AB bias. Sanders was still on the team that year and got 43 targets 288 yards and only played in 11 games. He did have issues with his foot early in the season, but it's not like we stopped using AB when he came back.
    true...maybe Sanders injury opened the door for AB to get more PT.

    or maybe AB just outworked everyone else that off season.

    I think BA motivated him something serious for wanting to cut him his rookie year.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB


  6. #16
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Anyone remember Manny Sanders himself actually posting here a few times during his rookie season? Or at least someone posing as Manny Sanders. Seemed pretty legit, though, from what I can remember. Anyone else recall this, or am I just totally nuts at this point?
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    [QUOTE=feltdizz;729191]true...maybe Sanders injury opened the door for AB to get more PT.

    or maybe AB just outworked everyone else that off season.



    I think that the injury definitely gave AB the chance and he never let it go. If AB was the 4th WR at the start of the season, maybe he doesn't end up becoming what he is (or maybe we keep Sanders and let AB and Wallace go).

    I do remember hearing (from Ochocinco?) that AB was working super hard in the off season too. But, I'm sure that you're right that there are a bunch of guys that could make an impact who don't get a shot because they are drafted late (or go undrafted).

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think BA motivated him something serious for wanting to cut him his rookie year.
    Based on ABs recent tweets, this certainly seems to be true.

  8. #18
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    true...maybe Sanders injury opened the door for AB to get more PT.

    or maybe AB just outworked everyone else that off season.


    I think that the injury definitely gave AB the chance and he never let it go. If AB was the 4th WR at the start of the season, maybe he doesn't end up becoming what he is (or maybe we keep Sanders and let AB and Wallace go).

    I do remember hearing (from Ochocinco?) that AB was working super hard in the off season too. But, I'm sure that you're right that there are a bunch of guys that could make an impact who don't get a shot because they are drafted late (or go undrafted).



    Based on ABs recent tweets, this certainly seems to be true.
    They always say cream rises to the top but that's not true.

    Coaches are notorious for playing favorites and being stubborn to a fault.

    I also remember how scouts didn't even go to Central Michigan to see Antonio. They went to see an OL I believe and just so happened to see Brown putting balling out

    My best friends older brother coached there and my friend said he remembered Brown dancing before punts, getting the crowd hype and putting on a show.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •