Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirty red

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Good future coaching material. LOL

You guys kill me with your racial undertones on everything. LMFAO!! And you don't even know what race I am to make these undertone gestures. LOL. There is a grain of truth in what the administrator said about race being interjected into everything.
    The only person who interjected it was you...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Good future coaching material. LOL

You guys kill me with your racial undertones on everything. LMFAO!! And you don't even know what race I am to make these undertone gestures. LOL. There is a grain of truth in what the administrator said about race being interjected into everything.
    Last I checked, everyone belongs to the human race... so yea, race is a part of everything.

Legend

User Info Menu

It is a bit concerning the lack of change direction Red has. This was on display on the missed sack as well as the Ajyia? run. Looked like he had lead in his shoes. Not faulting him, some guys aren't gifted with that kind of flexibility. And don't think for one minute opposing coaches won't notice that. Get ready for heavy doses of cutbacks and misdirections.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Everything I've ever read or seen indicates that Matakevich has a great deal of football intelligence. That's a different thing than academic smarts. I don't know where he was in that category; maybe in that sense he was dumber than a box of rocks. I'd imagine that would be the case for many pro football players. TM has football smarts, but it's obvious that he is lacking somewhat when it comes to certain necessary skills. Desire and football intelligence can only take you so far. Like I said in another thread earlier this year, if he is our starter at the Mack, then heaven help our defense. He's not NFL starter material at that position. Yeah, he might pile up lots of tackle numbers, but he's going to give up lots of big plays. Teams will quickly figure out how to exploit him. Bostic should be better, but not sure he will be all that much better. And not sure Bince is going to be much alongside either one of them. Even with all those hybrid SS/LBs, I think it's highly likely that ILB will be the weakest area on our D this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

While Matakevich may be football smart, what made Shazier special was his athleticism covered for others' mistakes. So Matakevich might be in the right place at the right time for the play call, can he be somewhere else quickly enough for their screwup?

Legend

User Info Menu

Special teams might not be sexy but it keeps some players on NFL rosters, and Matakevich is a prime example. Over the past three seasons, his 29 tackles on special teams rank second-best in the NFL.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...javon-hargrave

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Special teams might not be sexy but it keeps some players on NFL rosters, and Matakevich is a prime example. Over the past three seasons, his 29 tackles on special teams rank second-best in the NFL.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...javon-hargrave
    You've gotta give Red credit... he is making the most of his abilities. With that being said, hopefully Gilbert and Smith progress to the point of making Red expendable. Smith seems to have Red's mentality, but is a heck of a lot more athletic. I would see him taking Red's place on Sp Teams in time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    You've gotta give Red credit... he is making the most of his abilities. With that being said, hopefully Gilbert and Smith progress to the point of making Red expendable. Smith seems to have Red's mentality, but is a heck of a lot more athletic. I would see him taking Red's place on Sp Teams in time.
    Same (10 characters)
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Inside linebacker - Really, all I want to watch is the development here, because a starting spot isn't even up for grabs. Vince Williams does too many things well not to be a significant part of a three-man rotation with exciting hybrids Mark Barron and Devin Bush. Looking for the exact starting two will be moot. But veteran reserve Tyler Matakevich had the best minicamp of all ILBs. Twice last week Tomlin chided him for a potential coverage mismatch just before snaps, and both times Matakevich intercepted the pass, once chiding Tomlin back as he passed him with the return down the sideline. Ulysees Gilbert is really smooth in coverage and I'm excited to watch him develop, but we're talking No. 5 ILB here. Special teams will determine these kinds of roster spots, and that show's reserved for preseason games.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...elf-132903958/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Inside linebacker - Really, all I want to watch is the development here, because a starting spot isn't even up for grabs. Vince Williams does too many things well not to be a significant part of a three-man rotation with exciting hybrids Mark Barron and Devin Bush. Looking for the exact starting two will be moot. But veteran reserve Tyler Matakevich had the best minicamp of all ILBs. Twice last week Tomlin chided him for a potential coverage mismatch just before snaps, and both times Matakevich intercepted the pass, once chiding Tomlin back as he passed him with the return down the sideline. Ulysees Gilbert is really smooth in coverage and I'm excited to watch him develop, but we're talking No. 5 ILB here. Special teams will determine these kinds of roster spots, and that show's reserved for preseason games.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...elf-132903958/
    Gilbert, with his athleticism, certainly has a higher ceiling than Dirty Red. If it comes down to keeping Gilbert v Red... I hope Gilbert sticks.