Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 146

Thread: Dirty red

  1. #131
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Players' 40 times are way overrated. Times in the 3 cone drill and shuttle runs are much more important. You need to know about change of direction abilities moreso than running in a straight line from a track stance.
    And Gilberts numbers are FAR CLOSER to elite draftees like the 2 Devons AND Kuechly in the cone drill than the numbers Big Red put up.

    Heck if you look at timed numbers and his Soph and Junior numbers in a vaccum....Gilbert looks like a sure fire 1st rounder on paper.

    He loses points on competition level and size....THATS IT.

    THAT my friends is how you get all pros like James Harrison or a Antonio Brown late.

    Guys like this are the PERFECT late draft pick.

    ANY late pick "can" bomb, but this guy is also has no ceiling either. Love the pick.

  2. #132
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I like the Devon Bush pick......a lot.
    But what if he played for Akron?
    Do we KNOW Gilbert would have been a lesser player at Michigan?

    Gilbert played lesser competition......but was FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE and has similar athletic traits.

    Look specifically at scouting reports about "tackling skills".

    There is no "guaranty" that Bush ends up the better pro player.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-19-2019 at 10:49 AM.

  3. #133
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    If your looking at the measurables, you cannot not like what Gilbert has. If you had to gamble, you'd have to think he sticks and becomes a valuable player to us sooner then later.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

  4. #134
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I like the Devon Bush pick......a lot.
    But what if he played for Akron?
    Do we KNOW Gilbert would have been a lesser player at Michigan?

    Gilbert played lesser competition......but was FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE and has similar athletic traits.

    Look specifically at scouting reports about "tackling skills".

    There is no "guaranty" that Bush ends up the better pro player.
    I always give MAC players the benefit due to the amount of players who seem to come out of it and prosper in the NFL

    I’m rooting for Bush but I also feel like Michigan defenders are a crap shoot.

    It goes for all players obviously but for some reason that school has some really good players who come up short in the pros. They also never beat the Buckeyes even when they were clearly the better team.

    random rant over.

  5. #135
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I always give MAC players the benefit due to the amount of players who seem to come out of it and prosper in the NFL

    I’m rooting for Bush but I also feel like Michigan defenders are a crap shoot.

    It goes for all players obviously but for some reason that school has some really good players who come up short in the pros. They also never beat the Buckeyes even when they were clearly the better team.

    random rant over.
    In terms of the Michigan LB types to come out of this draft:

    I might be a bit worried if I drafted Rashan Gary because although he certainly has top notch athleticism, he doesn't necessarily have the top notch production to match.

    He might only ever be a champion of the underwear Olympics as opposed to a true football player at this level. Will he ever come close to living up to his potential? Sorry, but this one reeks of Mike Mamula to me.

    I might be a bit worried if I drafted Chase Winovich because although he certainly has top notch production, he doesn't necessarily have the top notch athleticism to match.

    His game might not necessarily translate to the next level. He might have maxed out in college. Remember, Tyler Matakevich was incredibly productive at the college level, but athletic limitations kept him from being more than a special teams demon in the pros. People see the hair and automatically think of Clay Matthews, but maybe he's more of a Jarvis Jones type of effort player.

    I'm not worried about drafting Devin Bush because he has both top notch athleticism as well as top notch production to match.

    When you find a guy who possesses both and comes out of a power five conference, that is the stuff that early first round picks are made of. Plus, he possesses the leadership qualities that we look for to be "quarterback" in the middle of our defense. It was unanimous who was the heart and soul of that Wolverine defense last year, and that guy was unquestionably Bush...not Gary or Winovich.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  6. #136
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Lots of quality reading material here guys...

    Here's to Bush living up to expectations, and to Gilbert living up to the "Measurables". If these two pan out, we could be set at the ILB position for many years to come.

  7. #137
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    And Gilberts numbers are FAR CLOSER to elite draftees like the 2 Devons AND Kuechly in the cone drill than the numbers Big Red put up.

    Heck if you look at timed numbers and his Soph and Junior numbers in a vaccum....Gilbert looks like a sure fire 1st rounder on paper.

    He loses points on competition level and size....THATS IT.

    THAT my friends is how you get all pros like James Harrison or a Antonio Brown late.

    Guys like this are the PERFECT late draft pick.

    ANY late pick "can" bomb, but this guy is also has no ceiling either. Love the pick.
    I agree that we should swing for the fences on late round picks.

    I'd much rather have guys with high ceilings and high chance to get cut over guys who likely top out at ST player.

  8. #138
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Tyler Matakevich fights to stay relevant among Steelers linebackers

    BRIAN BATKO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JUN 20, 2019

    There’s something that might take place at any given Steelers practice, something that just seems to get Tyler Matakevich’s juices flowing, whether it’s a live goal-line drill or just a 7-on-7 period: Mike Tomlin, watching from the sidelines, assessing the situation and imploring “Red” to make a play.

    “When ‘Coach T’ starts going, ‘Aw [shoot], Red, aw [shoot],’ I’m like, ‘OK, something’s coming over here,’ ” Matakevich said with a smile last week as the Steelers broke minicamp.

    And what a minicamp it was for Matakevich, entering his fourth season in the NFL. The Steeler known as “Dirty Red” had three interceptions across those three practices and OTAs, he said, at least one of which came directly after one of those playful verbal challenges from Tomlin. Matakevich, who made his first and only career start last season against Atlanta, isn’t likely to see many more of those opportunities now that Mark Barron and Devin Bush are in the fold.

    But as a former seventh-round draft choice who has stuck around this long, Matakevich — a special teams mainstay with just one pass breakup and zero interceptions in his pro career — just keeps trying to make plays whenever he’s on the field.

    “I've been here for so long, you start understanding the game a little more,” Matakevich explained. “You know when we’ve got certain people in the backfield and start motioning them out, you know what that guy is, what his skills are, what his highlights are.”

    So, most of that practice playmaking is cerebral?

    “Oh, 100 percent. Like, when I see them bringing Jaylen [Samuels] out to me … ” … he sees a chance to remind the coaching staff why he’s worth keeping. Matakevich is in the final year of his rookie deal, after playing 85 percent of his 2018 snaps on special teams, according to FootballOutsiders.com. He knows the Steelers added not one, not two, not three, but four linebackers via the draft or free agency, three of whom are off-the-ball players such as himself and two of whom would love to carve out roles on special teams as fellow late-round draft picks.

    “Shoot, my mentality hasn’t changed in Year 4 from Year 1,” Matakevich said. “It’s always the same. I’m just trying to do everything I can to the best of my abilities. It doesn't matter who they bring in; I know I’m the one who controls my own destiny. You’ve got to control what you can control, and that’s how you play. As long as I’m putting good stuff on film, and coaches are seeing that, I’ll be here.”

    Interceptions in shorts can count as useful tape for someone in Matakevich’s position. Or, take second-year safety Marcus Allen, who was as jubilant as anyone when he finally picked off a pass in the second-to-last minicamp practice.

    In a 7-on-7 drill, Allen said he was in Cover-3 and made the right read on an overthrown pass. He dived for the ball and made a sliding grab in the middle of the field. Leaping back to his feet, he held the ball high and yelled, “I need that!” to his teammates laughing on the sideline.

    “To get one before camp was over, it felt good. Just to show coaches I can play in that post, I can go in the box and bang it out, and I can cover in the box, and play in that dime,” Allen said. “I just wanted to show them my versatility, and that was an opportunity to show it.”

    Matakevich agreed that he “for sure” did the same throughout OTAs and mandatory workouts, adding a few deflections here and there to his interception total. But that all pales in comparison to what awaits in training camp.

    “You earn it in Latrobe,” Matakevich said. “That’s why I can't wait to get up there, start putting the pads on and banging a little bit.”

    Well, he might be able to wait a little bit. He and safety Sean Davis, who came in together as rookies, left town Saturday for a getaway with their girlfriends.

    “Me and Sean are pretty close. We’re going to go on a little vacation, down to Jamaica, so I’m a little pumped about that,” Matakevich said. “But once you start up getting ready for Latrobe, you’re right in it.”

    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...er_PGSportsNow

  9. #139
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In terms of the Michigan LB types to come out of this draft:

    I might be a bit worried if I drafted Rashan Gary because although he certainly has top notch athleticism, he doesn't necessarily have the top notch production to match.

    He might only ever be a champion of the underwear Olympics as opposed to a true football player at this level. Will he ever come close to living up to his potential? Sorry, but this one reeks of Mike Mamula to me.

    I might be a bit worried if I drafted Chase Winovich because although he certainly has top notch production, he doesn't necessarily have the top notch athleticism to match.

    His game might not necessarily translate to the next level. He might have maxed out in college. Remember, Tyler Matakevich was incredibly productive at the college level, but athletic limitations kept him from being more than a special teams demon in the pros. People see the hair and automatically think of Clay Matthews, but maybe he's more of a Jarvis Jones type of effort player.

    I'm not worried about drafting Devin Bush because he has both top notch athleticism as well as top notch production to match.

    When you find a guy who possesses both and comes out of a power five conference, that is the stuff that early first round picks are made of. Plus, he possesses the leadership qualities that we look for to be "quarterback" in the middle of our defense. It was unanimous who was the heart and soul of that Wolverine defense last year, and that guy was unquestionably Bush...not Gary or Winovich.
    Totally agree. Winovich is over hyped because he is a local kid. He looks to me like a better version of Chickillo. Maybe I'm wrong but I think predictions of him being the next Kevin Greene are totally unfounded.

    I agree about Gary. Doesn't seem to have the fire.

  10. #140
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Winovich is over hyped because he is a local kid. He looks to me like a better version of Chickillo. Maybe I'm wrong but I think predictions of him being the next Kevin Greene are totally unfounded.
    Makes sense...I think Bush, Winovich, and Chickillo were all pretty much appropriately drafted.

    Bush was taken in the top 10. That's where you take immediate impact starters. That's what I think he will be from day one.

    Winovich was taken on day two of the draft, in the middle portion of round 3. That's where you tend to find guys who might be situational players for you early in their career and might be able to progress into to solid, but not necessarily spectacular starters in this league. That's what I think he will be.

    Chickillo was taken on day three of the draft, with a supplemental pick at the end of round 6. That's where you tend to find guys who should be special teams contributors right off the bat, and then might progress into a regular depth role on offense or defense, but necessarily a guy you want to count on as an every down starter. That's essentially what he is.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •