Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Artie Burns is not happy with new NFL National Anthem policy

Legend

User Info Menu

Artie Burns is not happy with new NFL National Anthem policy

Artie Burns is not happy with new NFL National Anthem policy

By SAM QUINN

Artie Burns, like the rest of the Pittsburgh Steelers, made a very controversial decision before their Week 3 game against the Chicago Bears. The Steelers decided to sit out the National Anthem as a way to protest comments made by President Donald Trump. He remembers what followed: months of criticism, fans saying that they would give up the team, a whole lot of distractions that hindered the team's football performance. The decision that the Steelers made shined a light on them. It put a target on their back that made the center of the National Anthem debate whether they liked it or not.

And now, Burns believes the NFL is doing that to all of its players.

to read rest of article:

https://www.scout.com/Article/Artie-Burns-is-not-happy-with-new-NFL-National-Anthem-policy-118495166

Legend

User Info Menu

Forced patriotism is an oxymoron.

A government leader proclaiming that citizens have to stand proudly for the National Anthem or else they shouldn't be in the country sounds more like a mandated decree from a totalitarian dictator like Kim Jong Un rather than the leader of the Free World.

Our ability to peacefully protest is a fundamental American right, and any attempt by our government to squash this freedom is what is truly dishonoring the liberty that our Star Spangled Banner symbolizes.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

It’s BS.

I hope all of the players on every team simply wait in the locker room until the anthem is played in every game.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Next, going out to stand for the National Anthem will be an incentive negotiated into contracts...

Instead of forced patriotism, it becomes paid patriotism. The NFL has plenty of experience with that...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Welcome to China
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Welcome to Jina
    Fixed that for you.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Forced patriotism is an oxymoron.

A government leader proclaiming that citizens have to stand proudly for the National Anthem or else they shouldn't be in the country sounds more like a mandated decree from a totalitarian dictator like Kim Jong Un rather than the leader of the Free World.

Our ability to peacefully protest is a fundamental American right, and any attempt by our government to squash this freedom is what is truly dishonoring the liberty that our Star Spangled Banner symbolizes.
    There is a difference between a leader saying he thinks you should stand up and show respect versus a dictator who will arrest or shoot you if you don't. Most Americans think you should stand even though the media would lead you to believe otherwise.

The issue with this whole kneeling thing was that it was an ill conceived gesture that was never going to accomplish anything. What was the desired outcome of kneeling. Well a bunch of narcissistic players with an over inflated sense of their influence (see Hollywood) thought America was going to be so distressed that they would take to the streets and demand actions. That was never going to happen and taking an action that anyone with half a brain cell would predict would alienate more than half the country was doomed from the start. Our Government has never "squashed" any freedom, but they did show they don't agree like most Americans. If anything, the Government is more in touch with most Americans than the players. I find it laughable that the current President gets crucified for making this an issue and the last one bashed police and made them targets but he was a great leader.

If you want to address the issue then meet with police as part of community forums. Go work in communities to help improve relationships between minorities and police. The kneeling is a easy meaningless gesture that gives the impression that a bunch of self indulgent spoiled athletes are doing something but they aren't taking the time to do the really hard stuff that will matter like getting out into the communities every day because they are too busy making money playing football. Three minutes of your so-called civic awareness on Sunday isn't going to get it done.

Take my opinion for what it is worth. I think many here know I am a retired vet of the Army with over 20 years service so I may come at this from a perspective of someone who was willing to put their life on the line for the flag and the anthem does mean something to me. I have seen the hardships service members and their families endure first hand so I do see the kneeling as insulting. I can't stop anyone from kneeling but it will never be ok for me.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 05-24-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    There is a difference between a leader saying he thinks you should stand up and show respect versus a dictator who will arrest or shoot you if you don't. Most Americans think you should stand even though the media would lead you to believe otherwise.

The issue with this whole kneeling thing was that it was an ill conceived gesture that was never going to accomplish anything. What was the desired outcome of kneeling. Well a bunch of narcissistic players with an over inflated sense of their influence (see Hollywood) thought America was going to be so distressed that they would take to the streets and demand actions. That was never going to happen and taking an action that anyone with half a brain cell would predict would alienate more than half the country was doomed from the start. Our Government has never "squashed" any freedom, but they did show they don't agree like most Americans. If anything, the Government is more in touch with most Americans than the players. I find it laughable that the current President gets crucified for making this an issue and the last one bashed police and made them targets but he was a great leader.

If you want to address the issue then meet with police as part of community forums. Go work in communities to help improve relationships between minorities and police. The kneeling is a easy meaningless gesture that gives the impression that a bunch of self indulgent spoiled athletes are doing something but they aren't taking the time to do the really hard stuff that will matter like getting out into the communities every day because they are too busy making money playing football. Three minutes of your so-called civic awareness on Sunday isn't going to get it done.

Take my opinion for what it is worth. I think many here know I am a retired vet of the Army with over 20 years service so I may come at this from a perspective of someone who was willing to put their life on the line for the flag and the anthem does mean something to me. I have seen the hardships service members and their families endure first hand so I do see the kneeling as insulting. I can't stop anyone from kneeling but it will never be ok for me.
    I dislike Donald Trump intensely but I with you on a lot of this. The whole national anthem kneeling thing is a negative gesture. It accomplishes nothing. Do something constructive if you want positive results. Kneeling only PO's people.

Legend

User Info Menu

My father can tell me to stand up during the anthem and take off my cap. I do.

I can tell my kids to stand up during the anthem and take off their caps. They do.

But a government leader should never say that American citizens have to stand proudly for the National Anthem or else they shouldn't be in the country. That's attempting to take away our freedoms and liberties. That's unpatriotic.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Well said. It will never be ok for me either.

I'm all for everyone' s right to protest. ON THEIR OWN TIME. They're paid to play a game as entertainment for fans. Protesting during the anthem is just the wrong thing at the wrong time. It's just stupid IMO and accomplishes nothing.

If the NFL felt it had to do something to stop the kneeling in response to their apparent fear of Trump, they should have just gone back to the old way of not coming out until the anthem is over.