Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Artie Burns is not happy with new NFL National Anthem policy

Legend

User Info Menu

I find it interesting listening to the talking heads on ESPN spew their righteous indignation on this. The players are doing this on their bosses (owners) time. What do you think would happen to the ESPN talking heads if they had 3 minutes of "dead air" at the beginning of each of their shows to show their support for the protests? How long would they have their jobs before management shut them down. Hypocrites!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Well said. It will never be ok for me either.

I'm all for everyone' s right to protest. ON THEIR OWN TIME. They're paid to play a game as entertainment for fans. Protesting during the anthem is just the wrong thing at the wrong time. It's just stupid IMO and accomplishes nothing.

If the NFL felt it had to do something to stop the kneeling in response to their apparent fear of Trump, they should have just gone back to the old way of not coming out until the anthem is over.

This isn't about fear of Trump. This is recognition that most Americans find this offensives and disrespectful and they voiced that last season

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    There is a difference between a leader saying he thinks you should stand up and show respect versus a dictator who will arrest or shoot you if you don't. Most Americans think you should stand even though the media would lead you to believe otherwise.

The issue with this whole kneeling thing was that it was an ill conceived gesture that was never going to accomplish anything. What was the desired outcome of kneeling. Well a bunch of narcissistic players with an over inflated sense of their influence (see Hollywood) thought America was going to be so distressed that they would take to the streets and demand actions. That was never going to happen and taking an action that anyone with half a brain cell would predict would alienate more than half the country was doomed from the start. Our Government has never "squashed" any freedom, but they did show they don't agree like most Americans. If anything, the Government is more in touch with most Americans than the players. I find it laughable that the current President gets crucified for making this an issue and the last one bashed police and made them targets but he was a great leader.

If you want to address the issue then meet with police as part of community forums. Go work in communities to help improve relationships between minorities and police. The kneeling is a easy meaningless gesture that gives the impression that a bunch of self indulgent spoiled athletes are doing something but they aren't taking the time to do the really hard stuff that will matter like getting out into the communities every day because they are too busy making money playing football. Three minutes of your so-called civic awareness on Sunday isn't going to get it done.

Take my opinion for what it is worth. I think many here know I am a retired vet of the Army with over 20 years service so I may come at this from a perspective of someone who was willing to put their life on the line for the flag and the anthem does mean something to me. I have seen the hardships service members and their families endure first hand so I do see the kneeling as insulting. I can't stop anyone from kneeling but it will never be ok for me.
    Well done, sir....and thank you for your service.

Banned

User Info Menu

this whole topic makes me laugh.
    95% of the nfl players that are participating in the 'protest' dont even know why they are doing it and what thew facts actually are.
    they, along with a lot of society, dont understand that they are not being denied their right to protest, they just cant do it on the clock... just like every single working person in the us.
    these players are now given the choice to stand and respect the flag or stay in the locker room and disrespect it, protest, kneel or do whatever they feel like.
    sounds pretty fair to me. they are given a choice
    burns is too stupid to realize that a player staying in the locker room or kneeling on the sideline will be viewed the same way by fans and team mates.
    this country is going in the ****ter because everyone now wants to play the victim instead of strapping a set on and taking care of themselves and their families.

Banned

User Info Menu

what really should happen is not allow any camera to show these guys 'protesting' and not allow any commentators to even acknowledge it

Banned

User Info Menu

This isn't about fear of Trump. This is recognition that most Americans find this offensives and disrespectful and they voiced that last season
    It is all about fear of Trump and fear of bad press. The only time the NFL really does anything, it is based out of fear or greed. If the “tweeter-in-chief” hadn’t continually brought it up, it might be a dead issue by now.

At any rate, the players are not on the clock while the anthem is playing. But, perhaps they should be.

As I said, there will now be incentives for standing during the anthem.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It is all about fear of Trump and fear of bad press. The only time the NFL really does anything, it is based out of fear or greed. If the “tweeter-in-chief” hadn’t continually brought it up, it might be a dead issue by now.

At any rate, the players are not on the clock while the anthem is playing. But, perhaps they should be.

As I said, there will now be incentives for standing during the anthem.

lol.............ok, so when are they on the 'clock'

Banned

User Info Menu

Thank you for your service.

Now, with the important thing out of the way, this is crap:

...the last one bashed police and made them targets but he was a great leader.
    The “last one” didn’t “bash police.” He bashed “bad policing”, which is something that should be bashed loudly and frequently. He did not make police targets. The long list of unarmed black men killed by bad policing did that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steve Kerr: NFL rule on protests during anthem 'idiotic,' 'pandering,' 'fake patriotism'

Dan Devine Yahoo Sports
    May 24, 2018

https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-kerr-nfl-rule-protests-anthem-idiotic-pandering-fake-patriotism-194648818.html

Starter

User Info Menu

The NBA is made up almost entirely of black athletes...They don't kneel...About time the NFL wakes up and.........Seen the interview, Artie doesn't sound like he's to bright
    Last edited by Disco1981; 05-24-2018 at 06:22 PM.