Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Red Zone Defense

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Last year we had the unfortunate circumstance of losing a pro-bowl player and his backup within just a few plays. Without the ability to see Matakevich as the starter at the end of the year and playoffs, we are no further in knowing what he is than we were heading into 2017.

The only two things we do know about the depth at ILB is that 1) Sean Spence is not an option and 2) The Steelers do not believe that LJ Fort is a viable option otherwise he would have been starting ahead of Spence.
    Exactly. Based on what we know, if Bostic goes down to injury, we may well be screwed.

I'm not thrilled about the depth at OLB, either. Maybe the rookie FA from Toledo will turn into something.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The only two things we do know about the depth at ILB is that 1) Sean Spence is not an option and 2) The Steelers do not believe that LJ Fort is a viable option otherwise he would have been starting ahead of Spence.
    I'm generally of the opinion that the Steelers FO doesn't make stupid decisions. But, I do not understand how they could put Fort on the roster and then start Spence when Shazier went down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I'm generally of the opinion that the Steelers FO doesn't make stupid decisions. But, I do not understand how they could put Fort on the roster and then start Spence when Shazier went down.
    I guess he didn't know the whole playbook

I like what I saw from Fort in limited action too.

We also didn't use Blount when we had him, didn't use Keion Lewis and cut JH a few times. We don't always get it right.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I guess he didn't know the whole playbook

Really? By December?

If that's the case, it doesn't reflect well on the player ... and probably not on the coaching staff, either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Really? By December?

If that's the case, it doesn't reflect well on the player ... and probably not on the coaching staff, either.
    or he just isn’t who they thought he was...

pretty sure part part of the reason Antonio Brown didn’t dress a few games his first year was because he didn’t know the route tree as well as Sanders.

Its hard to believe Antonio Brown had 1 catch for -1 hard in the SB vs GB... and this was the same game Emmanuel Sanders went down with an injury.

Fort has been with 6 teams so far. Mostly as a LB/FB. I think he is the one of those guys who is a camp body but hasn’t put it together yet. Pretty sure it was his first year on an actual roster.

Maybe he is our next JH and breaks out this year?
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    or he just isn’t who they thought he was...

pretty sure part part of the reason Antonio Brown didn’t dress a few games his first year was because he didn’t know the route tree as well as Sanders.

Its hard to believe Antonio Brown had 1 catch for -1 hard in the SB vs GB... and this was the same game Emmanuel Sanders went down with an injury.

Fort has been with 6 teams so far. Mostly as a LB/FB. I think he is the one of those guys who is a camp body but hasn’t put it together yet. Pretty sure it was his first year on an actual roster.

Maybe he is our next JH and breaks out this year?
    I hope that you're right.

But Brown was vs Sanders (who is a good receiver).

Blount was vs. Bell (who is awesome).

Even Harrison was probably vs. Haggans (?) who was at least an average NFL player.

Fort couldn't beat out Spence even though Spence hadn't been playing football for like 10 weeks (I assume that he was at least in training camp). I think that's basically an admission that his ceiling is probably special teamer.