Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Red Zone Defense

Starter

User Info Menu

Steelers Red Zone Defense

...regressed more than any other in the NFL in 2017.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/steelers-red-zone-defense-had-worst-regression-in-2017/

Turning that around will need to be a point of emphasis in 2018.

Legend

User Info Menu

I saw that as well.

And, yes....
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Funny (to me anyway, ha ha) that it's the red zone that suffered the most when it was the deep backs
    more than any other position
    that were our Achilles Heel (I thought).

Unless maybe a big part of our RZ decline happened after Shazier got injured?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Funny (to me anyway, ha ha) that it's the red zone that suffered the most when it was the deep backs
    more than any other position
    that were our Achilles Heel (I thought).

Unless maybe a big part of our RZ decline happened after Shazier got injured?
    According to the article, the decline was especially bad after losing #50. We allowed opponents to score TDs on 17 out their 20 red zone trips in December and January.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    According to the article, the decline was especially bad after losing #50. We allowed opponents to score TDs on 17 out their 20 red zone trips in December and January.
    Wow...

And what did we add to try and fix that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Wow...

And what did we add to try and fix that?
    Jon Bostic, Morgan Burnett, Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen, Josh Frazier, improved play in year 2 from T.J. Watt, a healthier Stephon Tuitt....
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Jon Bostic, Morgan Burnett, Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen, Josh Frazier, improved play in year 2 from T.J. Watt, a healthier Stephon Tuitt....
    Sounds good. However, it's unlikely that we get through the season without losing a player or two from our D due to injury, so my concern is with depth, especially at LB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that the Steelers may believe that they have enough bodies at ILB...it will just be a matter of competition in camp and the preseason...there is depth, but it is so far untested...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think that the Steelers may believe that they have enough bodies at ILB...it will just be a matter of competition in camp and the preseason...there is depth, but it is so far untested...
    Bodies and depth are two different things. I'm sure we'll have enough bodies at LB to fill out the roster at the start of the season. But I don't care to see us repeat what happened last year -- having to bring bottom-of-the-barrel talent off the street to fill a starting role.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Last year we had the unfortunate circumstance of losing a pro-bowl player and his backup within just a few plays. Without the ability to see Matakevich as the starter at the end of the year and playoffs, we are no further in knowing what he is than we were heading into 2017.

The only two things we do know about the depth at ILB is that 1) Sean Spence is not an option and 2) The Steelers do not believe that LJ Fort is a viable option otherwise he would have been starting ahead of Spence.