Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: That 4th and 1 against Jags in our last game

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    After a period of time a coach's record speaks for itself. The Steelers win with enough consistency that you have to say Tomlin's system works and is sustainable.

and he has been winning with his players, not Cowher's.
    All true, but can't we say the other side of that token also speaks for itself - he's pretty consistent at losing a few against bottom feeders each year, putting us in a much tougher spot come the post season?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    After a period of time a coach's record speaks for itself. The Steelers win with enough consistency that you have to say Tomlin's system works and is sustainable.

and he has been winning with his players, not Cowher's.

yes, in the regular season
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every year.........

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    All true, but can't we say the other side of that token also speaks for itself - he's pretty consistent at losing a few against bottom feeders each year, putting us in a much tougher spot come the post season?
    We have a few ugly losses but overall his record against is good vs losing teams.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yes, in the regular season
    It's not like Cowher was ever known for losing AFC Championship games at home to underdog teams year after year...oh wait.
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    It's not like Cowher was ever known for losing AFC Championship games at home to underdog teams year after year...oh wait.

so, what does that have to do with tomlin?
    cowher got blasted plenty for those losses.
    over paid janitor......
    and proving it every year.........

Legend

User Info Menu

Assuming the consensus is that the 4th and1 call was a bad one ... seems to me it is on Tomlin's shoulders for not putting the nix nix on Haley's call as soon as he was aware of it.

Just like the last play against the **s in the regular season (that crazy pass play that got intercepted).

He *was* aware of the calls on the field, right??

I wonder if he gets report cards/performance reports and gets spanked by AR just like he would do to his coordinators. Does it wait till the end of the year, or does he get called in after a bad game and asked, "WHAT were you guys doing??".

Inquiring minds want to know!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We have a few ugly losses but overall his record against is good vs losing teams.
    Yep. BB lost to Miami this year. That doesn't make him a bad coach.

When you're consistently a good team, you're "expected" to win almost every week. Then, when you don't win you lost to an "inferior team".

The truth is that the difference between NFL teams probably isn't that big. Luck matters and sometimes you lose. I think when you say "Tomlin loses against bad teams" what you're really saying is that "Tomlin's teams are always expected to be good". That's kind of where I want us to be.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Assuming the consensus is that the 4th and1 call was a bad one ... seems to me it is on Tomlin's shoulders for not putting the nix nix on Haley's call as soon as he was aware of it.

Just like the last play against the **s in the regular season (that crazy pass play that got intercepted).

He *was* aware of the calls on the field, right??

I wonder if he gets report cards/performance reports and gets spanked by AR just like he would do to his coordinators. Does it wait till the end of the year, or does he get called in after a bad game and asked, "WHAT were you guys doing??".

Inquiring minds want to know!
    It seems like I'm in the minority, but I think that the 4th and short calls against the Jags were reasonable (or at least not unreasonable).

I do think that the end of the Pats game was a horrible display of coaching (and execution). I expected our O to be prepared in that situation (especially given the time they had to prepare). I think it's why Haley got fired and I hope it's something that Tomlin reflects on a lot (with or without Rooney talking to him).