Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That 4th and 1 against Jags in our last game

Legend

User Info Menu

That 4th and 1 against Jags in our last game

I was reading something about Haley's barfy play calling, and this video was shown as an example - 4th and 1 late in the game from about the Jags 20 yard line. Haley calls a pitch out end around to Bell, he got hit in the backfield and swallowed up for a 4 yard loss:

The point the author was making was - why call that play? Presumably he would have been more in favor of maybe having Nix blast a hole straight up the middle for Bell, or something like that.

But after looking at the play, our blocking was so bad we weren't going to get that 1 yard no matter what the call was. Horrible execution!

Looks like Pouncey made a block worse than a storefront mannequin would have made, more like lying down and taking a nap than throwing a block. Of course his man hopped over him and made the tackle 4 yards in the backfield ... along with another Jag who Vance McDonald was a step and a half late to block because he took a wrong angle ... because he went to block the wrong guy first!!

It doesn't matter how good our D is, or how many weapons Ben has (or, what the play call is) ... with execution like that we go nowhere but home - just like we did. Poor poor execution. My point isn't to stick up for any specific play calling, but just to say that after watching that it really hit home that until players are beating their man 1-on-1, there's no way to expect to come out on top, no matter what the play call is.

I don't know ... does this stuff happen often, and you just hope the Steelers come out on the winning end of more of these plays than the other team does? Or is what's on that tape completely off the charts bad?

Man, that is tough to watch!!
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 05-13-2018 at 10:46 PM.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Starter

User Info Menu

Almost as bad as watching our defensive collapse in that game.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Board/103198/Contents/A-defensive-film-study-Div-Playoffs-118172461

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

QB sneak and not waiting until 1 second left on the play clock may have helped.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Our defense gave up 17 points in the 4th qtr. Making Bortles look like Brady in the process. That's why we were sent home.

But my coach said it was all Haley's fault; That damn 45 points he cooked up was just so terrible. But the 48 (17 in the 4th qtr.) Butler gave up was okay.

Damn that Haley.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Our defense gave up 17 points in the 4th qtr. Making Bortles look like Brady in the process. That's why we were sent home.

But my coach said it was all Haley's fault; That damn 45 points he cooked up was just so terrible. But the 48 (17 in the 4th qtr.) Butler gave up was okay.

Damn that Haley.
    Yeah, but he put up 45 with Roethlisberger, Brown, Bell, Bryant, Schuster, and a studly O-line, in 2018 NFL (i.e. 45 is the new 30). Bortles putting up 48 would be like letting Mark Malone drop 30 on you (i.e. inexcusable).
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yeah, but he put up 45 with Roethlisberger, Brown, Bell, Bryant, Schuster, and a studly O-line, in 2018 NFL (i.e. 45 is the new 30). Bortles putting up 48 would be like letting Mark Malone drop 30 on you (i.e. inexcusable).
    O-line didn't look so studly on that last play

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

Damn that Haley.
    If you can't read between the lines then shame on you! Haley being fired was all on Ben but you seems to Blame Tomlin for going to the restroom, but good luck, maybe one day he will get fired or quit.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Terrible play call. Pretty sure this call got Haley fired.

Defense knew it was coming and even if we ran up the middle they would've prolly ate it up.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was at the game...one of the worst play calls I have ever seen...made no sense...I knew, in my gut they new Bell was going to get it the ball and he was going to get squashed.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Terrible play call. Pretty sure this call got Haley fired.

Defense knew it was coming and even if we ran up the middle they would've prolly ate it up.
    Is there any call that if unsuccessful, would have been considered a good call, not getting Haley fired?