Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yikes, highlight tape of Marcus Allen great on tackles, but not much on pass defense

Legend

User Info Menu

Yikes, highlight tape of Marcus Allen great on tackles, but not much on pass defense

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...-curtis-martin

Should I be worried that his highlight reel is so light on pass D?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gerald Hollman (Louisville) was great on Pass D but terrible vs. the Run.
    Maybe we could splice them together??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's why he lasted until round 5 and why he almost certainly won't be utilized as a deep safety in the NFL. He's terrific in run support, bu unless he can improve his pass coverage abilities on short and intermediate routes, he may not be able to be much more than a special teams contributor. I think the hope is that he can develop his coverage skills enough to help the D as a "dimebacker"/SS role player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...-curtis-martin

Should I be worried that his highlight reel is so light on pass D?
    Oh no!!!! Not another MM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    It's why he lasted until round 5 and why he almost certainly won't be utilized as a deep safety in the NFL. He's terrific in run support, bu unless he can improve his pass coverage abilities on short and intermediate routes, he may not be able to be much more than a special teams contributor. I think the hope is that he can develop his coverage skills enough to help the D as a "dimebacker"/SS role player.
    Wow.. our first early strike of the season

Legend

User Info Menu

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...2018-nfl-draft

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a pair of rookies at minicamp this weekend, and Mike Tomlin likes what he sees — so far.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...2018-nfl-draft

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a pair of rookies at minicamp this weekend, and Mike Tomlin likes what he sees — so far.
    Of course he does. What's he going to say after 2 days of minicamp, "Oops, don't know if we made such a good choice with these two"?

Seriously, something would be very wrong if those two DIDN'T stand out in this pool of rookies/undrafted FAs/tryout players. There will be much tougher tests to come. Hopefully they continue to shine when facing a better caliber of talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep............
    Tomlin isn’t going to say anything negative about anyone at this stage.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Gerald Hollman (Louisville) was great on Pass D but terrible vs. the Run.
    Maybe we could splice them together??
    14 picks in just one season of college football sounded pretty impressive at the time though. I guess interceptions are just another one of those overrated statistics.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that the team will ultimately ask Marcus Allen to bulk up a little bit and convert to a full time ILB like Mark Barron and Deone Buchanon did. He could be a backup to Jon Bostic at the Mack, while Tyler Matakevich backs up Vince Williams at the Buck. He may not get many (or any) snaps on defense as a rookie, though, as he attempts to make this transition. I expect him to be inactive more often than not in year one, since Nat Berhe is a more experienced special teams player.

Meanwhile, although not a starter per se, I think that Terrell Edmunds will be used on defense quite a bit during his rookie season as the third safety who enters the field in the big nickel or dime situations. He must know some linebacker concepts to function in that dimebacker role. Edmunds will be groomed as Morgan Burnett's eventual replacement at SS in time, though. If Burnett gets hurt, Edmunds starts at SS. If Davis gets hurt, Burnett slides over to FS and Edmunds starts at SS.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.