Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers starting to sign their rookie draft picks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Steelers sign third-rounder Chukwuma Okorafor

Posted by Josh Alper on May 22, 2018, 4:41 PM EDT

The Steelers have another one of their 2018 draft picks under contract.

The team announced on Tuesday that third-round pick Chukwuma Okorafor has agreed to a four-year deal. The offensive tackle was one of two third-round picks by the Steelers this year. Quarterback Mason Rudolph was also drafted in that round and joins first-round safety Terrell Edmunds as unsigned picks in Pittsburgh.

“He is a guy that is going to fit what we are looking for,” Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak said, via the team. “He can play right or left tackle. Great size, great strength. I am excited about the opportunity to work with him. I am excited to add someone of his caliber, someone who has a chance to grow, improve.”

Okorafor was born in Nigeria and didn’t play football until high school. He wound up as an Outland Trophy finalist after his final season at Western Michigan.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/steelers-sign-third-rounder-chukwuma-okorafor/
    That's great!

Question ... are these guys negotiating with the FO until the day they sign, is that why they don't sign sooner?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    That's great!

Question ... are these guys negotiating with the FO until the day they sign, is that why they don't sign sooner?
    I think it’s the old “wait until other picks in your round sign” type of deal.

I didn’t know you could be at OTA’s or rookie camp while unsigned. Isn’t Edmund at OTA’s?
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, you can be at mandatory minicamp and OTAs...just not actual training camp.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yeah, you can be at mandatory minicamp and OTAs...just not actual training camp.
    Interesting. I though one of the main reasons not to participate until signed is that any injury would then be addressed by the team, rather than the player being on his own.

I guess not!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting. I though one of the main reasons not to participate until signed is that any injury would then be addressed by the team, rather than the player being on his own.

I guess not!
    No, I think that, with draft picks at least, the team agrees in good faith to address any injury that takes place during OTAs...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess not!
    Philly just lost a LB due to a collision at OTA's. I think it's an ACL.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Philly just lost a LB due to a collision at OTA's. I think it's an ACL.

The Chargers also just lost TE Hunter Henry to an ACL during OTAs. Out for the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The Chargers also just lost TE Hunter Henry to an ACL during OTAs. Out for the season.
    whoa.. that's huge
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers agree to contract with Mason Rudolph

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 23, 2018, 10:38 AM EDT

Now that Mason Rudolph and Ben Roethlisberger have broken the ice, they can toast the rookie’s new deal.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, the Steelers have agreed to terms with the third-round quarterback on his four-year deal.

That leaves just first-round pick Terrell Edmunds without a deal, as they breeze through signings league-wide.

Rudolph was one of the most productive quarterbacks in the country at Oklahoma State, and some thought he could be a first-rounder. That didn’t materialize, but the Steelers thought he was too good a value to pass in the third.

Roethlisberger said immediately after the draft he thought they might have used the pick on a player of more immediate impact, especially after trading wide receiver Martavis Bryant. But Roethlisberger said yesterday that we all took that out of context, and that everything was fine, so it must be.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/23/steelers-agree-to-contract-with-mason-rudolph/
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope