https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-steelers-news

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Smart kid huh? He checks all the boxes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great post, Eich!

It starts at 2:15.

Question - do you think it was staged, that he knew the answers?

Because if not, that is pretty f'ng impressive his memory.

Like, wow!!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Banned

User Info Menu

Impressive. However, unless he is going to be a coach I donít really care if he can remember how to draw plays on the white board.

I care more about what he can do on the green carpet.

Dont get me wrong, itís a plus if he can do both but I never get t into these Gruden tapes with coaches talking all fast about what to do on a white board.

You can have all the right answers but it doesnt matter if you crumble under pressure or canít make the throw even when you are making the right read.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Saw something like this last year with Sutton. Not only was he asked his own responsibility during any given play, he was able to tell you what every other defender was doing. It was very impressive, and something I have liked about him. A guy like him should be able to move around the D, he should be able to make the defensive calls if asked, he should not be the kind of player who makes those mental mistakes that sees guys like Chris Hogan running all alone through the secondary.

Same goes for Rudolph. Seems like the kind of kid who will become a bookworm. Attach himself to the playbook from the time he gets it and won't be afraid to ask questions along the way. If/when he is called upon to step in (and I truly hope that won't be for a long time) he will not fail for being mentally unprepared. We will see if his physical tools translate into the NFL QB game, but I don't expect him to look like a deer in the headlights.

Legend

User Info Menu

Was just coming to post this...LOL
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Damn... need a PhD in Football 101...

I get what Feltdizz is saying... there's book smart and there's street smart. No one will claim that Bradshaw was a student of the game, but he sure knew how to make plays. (of course, the game has gotten a whole lot more complex than those days, so it might not be enough to be street smart to win on a consistent basis...)
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-09-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dayum I have to admit I was impressed with the kid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice.......

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Damn... need a PhD in Football 101...

I get what Feltdizz is saying... there's book smart and there's street smart. No one will claim that Bradshaw was a student of the game, but he sure knew how to make plays. (of course, the game has gotten a whole lot more complex than those days, so it might not be enough to be street smart to win on a consistent basis...)
    This...$$$

You hit the nail on the head "Complex". There are a ton of decisions that are made "Pre snap"... reading defenses (coverages/blitzes etc.)and then subsequently calling the right audible for anticipated defensive scheme. The mental aspect of the position cannot be over emphasized. QB's with superior mental processing ability "Quick thinkers" and decision making can make it in today's game without elite arm talent. The same cannot be said for those guys (elite arm talent) who cannot handle the mental aspects of the game.