Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Draft thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

Post Draft thoughts

OK, after a couple of nights to sleep on some of the picks, I've got opionions.

1. Terrell Edmunds, S, Va Tech - The pick surprised me (and most of us), but, it felt a lot like Sean Davis. "Feels early, but, i trust the team's judgment". IMO, Burnett is a stop-gap, and they feel like the tandem of Edmunds and Davis could be scary for years to come. Also knowing that Burnett's dead cap after next year (of cut with a post june 1 designation) is only $1.4million, I'm anxious to see this youngin get it going. I trust the pick and worst case, you've got Burnett to give him time to grow, if needed

2. James Washington, WR, OK State - again, wasn't expecting this one. I do like that he has a little dog and fights for the ball. I've never read anything about "questionable hands", and knowing that he has to be only #3 or #4 to begin, I like the potential there with double-teams likely going to AB, leaving him single covered often. My ONLY concern is 4.54 40 yard dash, but, then i look at ABs and feel better (though DJ Chark was appealing, IMO)

3a. Mason Rudolph, QB, OK State - heard the team was considering him early. Like him much better here. Like everything (except that he's not a natural leader). Hopefully he gains that over the course of a couple of seasons backing up Ben and getting comfortable with the system. Curious to see if this is the end of Dobbs or the end of Landry

3b. Chuks Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan - this pick, i like. Guy has good size and agility, the stuff you can't teach. Give him some time with Munchak and this could be a starter down the line after getting the stuff you CAN teach.

5a. Marcus Allen - of all things, this pick actually concerned me a little. After getting Burnett AND Edmunds, I didn't quite see what the thinking was here. Would rather have taking a swing on a LB (inside or out) OR Tim Settle, NT, Va Tech (though they did fill the NT need in the 7th). Allen will be OK and will likely make the team as a stashed S (will allow them to dump Wilcox, which is a plus).

5b. Jaylen Samuels, RB, NC State - I've seen H-back, FB, TE and all sorts of positions/comments. Make no mistake, this guy is a RB, who'll be a 3rd down back when Bell isn't around. Should spell the end of one of Fitz Toussaint or Ridley... He has good vision as a runner, good hands as a receiver and runs routes like a WR (thus the H-back talk). He's a poor man's Bell (with a less explosion). Fantastic selection by the team. Probably my favorite "value" selection of the Steelers 2018 draft.

7. Joshua Frazier, DT, Alabama - Well, I wanted a double-team commanding NT. We got one and we've got a coach with familiarity with (Steelers defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, who coached Frazier for two years at Alabama). Curious to see how the position battle plays out between him and McCullers. At this point, McCullers is only $90k to cut, so big Dan is going to have to be significantly better to not see the axe

Thoughts: Would like to have seen a little more aggression in selection LBs in the middle rounds. Still feels thin since thus far in his career, Bostic is an injury waiting to happen. But, who knows which vets are released. I see Timmons or Spence in the near future on a 1-2 year deal

Overall, I give this draft a solid B based on seeing the board and filling needs. You can always make a case for, "DJ Chark" over Washington (which is what I woulda done), but, I don't know Washington well enough to knock him. Moreover, this team has been pretty good scouting WRs, so I wait. The only pick i truly question is Marcus Allen and it's more about "ANOTHER Safety!?", not about the player himself.

Looks like another solid Steelers draft.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree with most comments

I think Edmunds will be very good. Reminds me of the guy who won't be coaching...Carnell Lake. Big, fast and aggressive. Can punish guys

I do like Allen. Great depth and will help special teams early

Samuels will be great value

Rookie

User Info Menu

With his tremendous athleticism and the way he was used at Va. Tech, he actually reminds me of Polamalu...

Let’s hope he can be half the player...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I wonder if Edmunds is destined for ILB, at least functionally. The pick of Allen in the 5th would seem to support that. At very least, in the "big nickel" scheme that would seem to be his place. This whole draft had me wondering if there is either a genius plan at work or a dude throwing darts at the board. Time will tell.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure about a genius plan but having athletic smart guys who can communicate and tackle well is probably the plan.
    Being in the right place at the right time and being able to align the defense to what you see is a big positive.
    Honestly how many times did our defense look confused and out of positition in games last year?
    One instance that sticks out is the Cleveland game near the Goaline.
    Gay was confused and had no clue who or what he was covering.
    The same could be said for Davis.
    Also there is no need to get hung up in what our base defense is lacking.
    This defense needed smart players and we got a few.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they want to get more of those Hybrid type safeties who can play closer to the line of scrimmage, it's possible you will see some sub packages with Burnett, Edmunds, and Davis all on the field at once.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd believe its almost certain we'll seee that...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Docosc View Post
    I wonder if Edmunds is destined for ILB, at least functionally. The pick of Allen in the 5th would seem to support that. At very least, in the "big nickel" scheme that would seem to be his place. This whole draft had me wondering if there is either a genius plan at work or a dude throwing darts at the board. Time will tell.
    Allen has difficulty playing in space. He is so much better at the los. So though I can see Allen n Edmunds n Davis all being on the field in the 'big nick' Allen is really the guy more lb then others. Not saying Edmunds won't be a physical presence just believe Allen's roll is more the hybrid, the box safety.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Allen is a tackling beast...one of six Nittany Lions to finish their career with more than 300 tackles. He finished 5th all time. The four guys ahead of him? All LBs...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I confess to being a company man for the most part. I believe the Steelers have a plan. I am thinking they have decided that the problem with the run defense was scheme rather than players. Remember, we got gashed with Shazier in, and no one we could draft was going to improve on his play. I have heard a lot about communication and intelligence, and that seems to have been the theme of this draft. I am going to be very excited to see how this all plays out as the season gets rolling. Steelers, Baby!!!!!