Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at Linebacker Depth

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Well, it would have been Watt and Shazier...

At any rate, no ILB in the third round was a better player than Rudolph...
    But would they have been able to really help out our D?

Asking because I don't know, but 3/4 of a loaf on D this year might have been more valuable than whatever Rudolph brings starting next year probably (unless FO thinks he's for sure "The One"). IMO!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Bostic missed 10 games out of 64(first 4 seasons)
    Shazier missed 14 games out of 48(first 3 seasons)
    Bostic also said he could've played last year with the Colts if he needed to.
    Please stop labelling the guy as injury prone.
    He missed 5 games in 2015, all of 2016, and 2 games last year. Not exactly a picture of health.

Legend

User Info Menu

Given the depth of both ILB & OLB, Chadman’s thoughts...

Keion Adams was set to make the roster last season before injury, so he’s a natural step up. Chikillo is now the #3 guy, replacing...well he was the #3 guy last year in effect because Harrison didn’t dress. Is Adams a chance of being a bigger contributor than Moats then? It wouldn’t be a huge stretch. Henguian looked athletic when on the field & might be an interesting ST type of guy.

ILB is more concerning- depending on how the Steelers use the sub-package defenses. LJ Fort is probably the #2 ‘coverage’ LB behind Bostic. That’s not great. The team clearly like Matekovich. He will be the likely #3 ILB. Thomas has all the athletic ability the Steelers look for- Chadman suspects he’s there to push Fort. If there is a signing to be made, it’ll be here at ILB. As much as many won’t like it, Sean Spence might be the right choice- he won’t cost much, can play ST, knows the system & can play the ‘coverage’ LB role better than anyone behind Bostic on the roster.

As is always the case- the real issue is ‘what if so-and-so gets injured?’. Well, depth...potential starting depth...is poor. If Bud Dupree or TJ Watt go down, Chik sees the field a lot. That is more concerning to Chadman than at ILB where the team could ‘scheme’ more sub package defenses..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Given the depth of both ILB & OLB, Chadman’s thoughts...

Keion Adams was set to make the roster last season before injury, so he’s a natural step up. Chikillo is now the #3 guy, replacing...well he was the #3 guy last year in effect because Harrison didn’t dress. Is Adams a chance of being a bigger contributor than Moats then? It wouldn’t be a huge stretch. Henguian looked athletic when on the field & might be an interesting ST type of guy.

ILB is more concerning- depending on how the Steelers use the sub-package defenses. LJ Fort is probably the #2 ‘coverage’ LB behind Bostic. That’s not great. The team clearly like Matekovich. He will be the likely #3 ILB. Thomas has all the athletic ability the Steelers look for- Chadman suspects he’s there to push Fort. If there is a signing to be made, it’ll be here at ILB. As much as many won’t like it, Sean Spence might be the right choice- he won’t cost much, can play ST, knows the system & can play the ‘coverage’ LB role better than anyone behind Bostic on the roster.

As is always the case- the real issue is ‘what if so-and-so gets injured?’. Well, depth...potential starting depth...is poor. If Bud Dupree or TJ Watt go down, Chik sees the field a lot. That is more concerning to Chadman than at ILB where the team could ‘scheme’ more sub package defenses..
    With Spence the Steelers know what they get. The problem with that is, it ain't good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    He missed 5 games in 2015, all of 2016, and 2 games last year. Not exactly a picture of health.
    Guy broke his foot in the preseason..I wouldnt count that as injury prone, just unlucky.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post

Asking because I don't know, but 3/4 of a loaf on D this year might have been more valuable than whatever Rudolph brings starting next year probably (unless FO thinks he's for sure "The One"). IMO!
    I guess I see Rudolph as nothing more than a clipboard holder for at least the next two years. It's great if you got your "guy" when they did, but it seems to me that the "guy" could have been had next year or the year after while more pressing needs were addressed now. Even a more raw athlete that needed a little work could have at least gotten into the system and provided some depth at ILB where it just seems we're... thin. The FO must really know something because they really haven't addressed this area for a couple years now.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's a sad commentary on the Steelers LB corp when people are suggesting Timmons or a practice squad player may be contributors to the defense this season. I can't remember a time in my life when there was such a lack of outright talent. Steelers need to keep their fingers crossed that a team will cut a LB that has been misplaced on their defense and will shine in theirs, ala Farrior.
    Boom...........

Banned

User Info Menu

But right now, we are in trouble in our lb corps.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post

If he is the one he probably would have gone earlier but who knows. Once every few years teams miss on a QB.

I agree though, I think an LB in the 3rd could help us this year. Gotta hope we can find more depth after teams make cuts or maybe one of our scrub backups turn the corner.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that the team will learn a lot more about LB depth this Spring. Especially with Adams and Matakevich.

Adams looked like a guy who was on his way to making the 53 last Summer. It seemed every time you heard a report on guys at camp that his name was coming up. He then got hurt and people forget about guys who aren't around...but the team didn't. I'd think that he is being looked at as the top backup to one or both OLB positions.

Matakevich was a guy who would have/should have gotten a look when Shazier went down. Unfortunately for him, and the team, he was hurt just a few plays later. We never had a chance to see what kind of depth he provides, but he will get his chance now.

Two other things that I'll be looking closely at as camp begins:

Dupree - I thought he'd have a breakout year in 2017. He was coming off a season where he missed camp, missed the first 10 games (I think it was 10), and played like a beast when he returned. I thought that with a full, healthy off-season he would excel last year. Obviously that never happened, but that doesn't mean that it can't/won't happen this season. Could there be a breakout campaign in 2018? Even just an improved campaign?

Edmunds - Tomlin keeps talking about the specialization of schemes. So, we are not looking at a unit of four LBs, there is much more to it. I could see the D using Edmunds as the nickel/dime LB, or the third down LB - whatever you want to call it. You have Bostic/Williams on the field first and second/running downs. Edmunds steps in at LB to cover TEs or RBs, blitz, etc. on third down/passing downs.