Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Day thoughts..

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft Day thoughts..

1. If Cleveland has seriously been considering 3-4 QBs, then takes a QB at #1, they're dumb. You're #4. You'll get one of the guys you were thinking of anyway. Take Barkley and "settle" for Sam Darnold/Josh Rosen, if that's what it comes to and start your era off properly, Mr GM

2. For all of our "wants" in this draft, the Steelers have again done a solid job of hiring stop gaps. I suspect they take BPA and throw us for a loop. I'd love an ILB, but, wouldn't be totally shocked if it's a RB... or CB... or Safety... or CB... or o-lineman... or... or...

3. As a Louisville alum, I know our guys. Jaire Alexander (if he can stay healthy) will be a fantastic slot CB. Louisville's struggles this year, mirrored his absence due to injury. The defense was completely different, as he shut down a side. Honestly, I was excited when he was injured because I thought we might have a chance at getting him in the 2nd. Lamar Jackson is a ridiculous athlete. And I do think he could be an amazing fantasy QB for years to come (if he stays healthy). Just don't like his inconsistency passing. I'd pass.

4. Back to Cleveland... why do i care? No clue. But, dangit, if they sit at #1 and take a QB, he darn well better be the best of the bunch. if he isn't, they're stupid.

Finally, my final Mock (first 2 days)
    1. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU - All the LBs are gone. And Bell is still a problem. This is a cheap replacement.
    2. Jessie Bates, S, Wake Forest - fantastic in coverage and will cause some turnovers. Let Davis be your thumper and this guy cover.
    3. Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio State - undersized, but, plenty of speed to fill in - my guess is this is going to require a small trade-up to accomplish.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

my prediction is we draft player X, and no matter who that player is or what position, he will be touted a great pick. And it will just happen to be the BPA at a pposition of needed (need will,be justified regardless) AND he will be exactly who the steelers wanted all a long, wont be a reach(no matter where other big boards have them listed) and will be the top availalble on their draft board..............oh, and he we be a steeler type player................steal, impact player, starter, future pro bowler etc.........that goes without saying.................

so i will go on record, 5 hours before our selection, and speak on behalf of many posters here and say, I LOVE THIS PICK
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the only positions i would be disappointed in taking in the 1st would be DL, OT, CB, and TE

don't care as much about the player this year considering where we sit, just hope they get it right

Legend

User Info Menu

Ok, draft day thoughts...

Rooney, every year, has given an indication of how the draft will play out early- ‘we need to be better rushing the passer’- Bud Dupree. ‘We need to stop the pass’- Artie Burns & Sean Davis, ‘We need to be better rushing the passer’- TJ Watt...

This year? “We need to be better stopping the run”.

How do we do this? Obvious pick- ILB, right?

Except even with our BEST ILB, Ryan Shazier, we were destroyed by Chicago & Jacksonville in the running game.

Steelers often draft from big schools, big programs. They tend to like going with juniors.

Chadman’s “Draft Thought” is this- not the most popular pick, but to keep the ILB’s clean, to allow the Steelers to play a ‘coverage LB’ without him being exposed in the run defense, to draft a big program, big school, big production junior player...

The Steelers will draft DaRon Payne.

There are a bunch of decent to good second level ILB’s & Safeties. Examples- Darius Leonard & Marcus Allen...could go 2nd & 3rd round....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be dissappointed if we grabbed a WR or RB that dropped to us.
    If Guice or DJ Moore are available i don't see how we can pass them up?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Jacksonville didn’t destroy us with their running game when the team had Shazier...

Fournette got half of his yardage on one carry, late in the game after the outcome had already been decided...

Unless Payne is a 3 down NT, I don’t see it...

If he is? Then hopefully he’s still there...
    Last edited by Slapstick; 04-26-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Ok, draft day thoughts...

Rooney, every year, has given an indication of how the draft will play out early- ‘we need to be better rushing the passer’- Bud Dupree. ‘We need to stop the pass’- Artie Burns & Sean Davis, ‘We need to be better rushing the passer’- TJ Watt...

This year? “We need to be better stopping the run”.

How do we do this? Obvious pick- ILB, right?

Except even with our BEST ILB, Ryan Shazier, we were destroyed by Chicago & Jacksonville in the running game.

Steelers often draft from big schools, big programs. They tend to like going with juniors.

Chadman’s “Draft Thought” is this- not the most popular pick, but to keep the ILB’s clean, to allow the Steelers to play a ‘coverage LB’ without him being exposed in the run defense, to draft a big program, big school, big production junior player...

The Steelers will draft DaRon Payne.

There are a bunch of decent to good second level ILB’s & Safeties. Examples- Darius Leonard & Marcus Allen...could go 2nd & 3rd round....
    Solid logic, but I expect Payne to come off the board somewhere between the mid teens to early twenties or so, though...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Calvin Ridley? Would you be upset now that Martavis is gone?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I wouldn't be dissappointed if we grabbed a WR or RB that dropped to us.
    If Guice or DJ Moore are available i don't see how we can pass them up?
    We did! Lol

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Solid logic, but I expect Payne to come off the board somewhere between the mid teens to early twenties or so, though...
    Yep; long gone.