Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shazier on his feet leading Lets Go Pen chant last night

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm kind of hoping he takes a long hard look at the future and calls it a career. I know he had his sights on Canton, but playing football again seems like you'd be asking for problems, even 2 years from now.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm kind of hoping he takes a long hard look at the future and calls it a career. I know he had his sights on Canton, but playing football again seems like you'd be asking for problems, even 2 years from now.

Pappy
    I agree. I don't see any doc clearing him no matter how well he comes back. I think the chances of him being anywhere near Shazier-like are close to zero. Yeah it would be a great story but the guy is sitting on like 10 million dollars. He doesn't need to take that risk.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

IF there is no spinal bony/structural abnormality (which we haven't heard about one way or the other) and ...

IF he keeps his head up on future tackles ...

is his risk of subsequent injury any higher in the future than if he hadn't had the injury? Or would the risk just be "baseline", no higher than anyone else who is on the field under those two "IF" conditions?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    IF there is no spinal bony/structural abnormality (which we haven't heard about one way or the other) and ...

IF he keeps his head up on future tackles ...

is his risk of subsequent injury any higher in the future than if he hadn't had the injury? Or would the risk just be "baseline", no higher than anyone else who is on the field under those two "IF" conditions?
    I believe I read somewhere that he had spondylolisthesis which is basically where a vertebrae slips and can cause spinal cord damage. He had surgery on the area and I can't believe they would ever clear him. Here is what the literature says.

Return to play after surgical treatment of spondylolysis is controversial, and formal criteria are lacking. Guidelines do not recommend return to contact sports after fusion of spondylolysis. A survey of 261 Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) members found that 27% to 36% of surgeons allowed these patients to return to collision sports 1 year postoperatively. Fusion after spondylolysis is not always a contraindication to return to contact sports, but the time frame for return
    is variable
    Last edited by Shawn; 04-16-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope Shazier uses this as motivation to prove folks wrong..

but I also hope by the time he recovers he will realize his time has passed.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"