Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre Draft Ramble

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pre Draft Ramble

* I really hope we land Evans or LVE in the first, but there seems to be a lot of options in 2-4th rounds. Even Evans and LVE have flaws, Evans is reported not truly "athletic", and LVE one year wonder from a non power 5 conference.

* I am starting to think, what if Evans and LVE are gone, could we go with true BPA with consideration who is gone next year via FA losses/ retirements/ cap casualties:

Center: Daniels, Price
    Guard: Wyann, Hernandez....
    Tackle: Conner

NT: Payne
    DL:
    CB: Donte Jackson, Alexander
    WR: Ridley, Sutton
    OLB: Hubbard
    TE: Gesiski, Hayden

* Is safety that much of a "need" this year to overdraft one high, when we have a proven starter in Burnett, and we usually sign via FA our 2-3 year starting SS.

* Is the team really interested in Guice, or are they using that as leverage towards Bell. Is he even going to go past Detroit? And if they are considering drafting a RB high in the draft, why isn't there a word on the other top RBs ( Chubb, Jones, Michaels)

* Players who I want to see replaced:
    V. McDonald, too expensive and too often injured.
    M. Bryant, I think he is over hyped. Drops more big plays than makes. And we are still stuck on the idea of his potential, that ship has sailed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good thread. I'm on board if top 2 ILB's r gone a safety at 28 might be a bit rich. At that point a possible slight trade down to top of round 2 getting us the 4 we don't have may be way to go. I would have no issue with a player like Reid there. Based on draft trade value chart a drop from 28 to early 2nd round should net us an early 4th. Not a major move but since I don't see us going up in the 1st it's an option.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO... McDonald's an above average, athletic TE when healthy. I like him for the price. Tomlin and crew sang Bryant's praises very recently. They expect him to have a break out season in 2018. I say we keep both... in respect to Ben's closing window.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO ILB is the position that gives the player the best chance of starting as a rook. Beyond that, positions you could draft at #1 (in my order of likelihood)...

CB - If he shines, you go into '19 with Burns, Sutton, Hilton, first round from '18. If this makes Haden expendable then the cap savings is $10M. This seems to be a deep draft at CB.

RB - It won't surprise anyone when Bell is toting the rock elsewhere in 2019. If his replacement is still there in the first then that helps prepare the team for his exit.

OLB - If the Steelers don't pick up the fifth year option on Dupree, there is a wide opening at LOLB next season. Having a guy with a year under his belt will help him slide into that spot more easily.

QB - If the potential framchise QB of your dreams is there then pull the trigger. I just don't think he is there.

DL - A third man to pair with Tuitt and Heyward. Note that I only think that you go after a possible starter as I like the depth here with Alualu and Walton.

G - Ramon Foster is in the last year of his contract and will be 33 next season. I see the writing on the wall. Starter needed for '19.

T - You can never have enough good tackles

TE - Someone to take McDonald's hit off the book either this year or next.

Legend

User Info Menu

George,

Your ramble is interesting and thought-provoking. Many of us expect the Steelers to go ILB and S early on. But I believe their stated reason for signing Burnett and Bostic is so they don't have to do that. This board might be in an uproar if they take, say OL and QB with their top two picks, but it could happen.

That said, I sure would like to see them fortify the defense.

Rookie

User Info Menu

FYI, per the contract the Steelers inherited when they traded for McDonald, his salary for 2018 is fully guaranteed by now...the only
    way his hit comes off the books this year is via a trade...

If Hurst is available, he could conceivably be the BPA, though he is 24 years old already because he played professional baseball (with the Pirates organization!) out of high school...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Good topic.

The Steelers have always drafted BPA at a position of need. QB is an exception.

At this point, I only have QB, RB (uncertainty with Bell), and TE as first round targets on offense. The rumor was the Browns traded up for Njoku because he was the Steelers target. Yes, we have McDonald who I like but he can't be trusted to stay healthy. I like JJ but I don't think the Steelers like him as much as most of the fans do.

I have serious concerns over Evans and LVE. I'm not sure they will be available any way, and if they were, I'm not sure they'd be BPA.

ILB is by far, the biggest need. FS is still a major need. S has very little quality depth unless they are planning to move Sutton or Allen to S. If that happens, then CB is a need. I don't think that is the plan. For that reason alone, I might drop CB off the "need" list. That's probably a questionable decision

We need OLBers. Depending on the FO thoughts on Dupree, a potential starter. I'll add DT/NT to the list.

So, with that logic I have our 1st round targets at any of the following, in no particular order:

QB
    TE
    RB
    S (FS in particular)
    ILB
    OLB
    NT/DT

I think WR is definitely in the picture for the 2nd round. I would be a bit surprised if they took one in the 1st. I'm not saying it couldn't happen though. Like I said before, if the Steelers keep everyone at CB then I would be shocked at a first round pick. There isn't much room for another CB if Allen sticks on the roster.

Burns, Haden, Sutton, Hilton, Allen.

I keep going back to what Rooney said. They were to aggressive in pass rushing and not aggressive in run defense. That is not "Steelers football" as he put it. They had MAJOR issues stopping the run last year even with Shazier.

Everyone on the planet knew the 1 way the Steelers could lose to the Jags in the playoffs which was there inavlbility to stop the run.

Say what you want, it's a passing league, and I get that but the easiest way to lose a game in the NFL is the inability to stop the run.

I have a hunch the pick could be a DT, OLB or possibly a FS like Reid.

Regarldess, they won't reach. At least I hope not. Regardless of the round, we need a potential starting ILB. We are incredibly weak at that position.

I would like a DT/NT pick because I'm still of the opinion that we need a guy that can keep our ILBs clean. What is the point of drafting an ILB high when he's gonna get buried by the guard?

I would love it if we drafted Payne from Alabama.

Banned

User Info Menu

Steelz09, love the freedom of your draft. But I’m afraid that this year is going to be like the 2016 draft when the needs in the secondary made us draft Burns and Davis. To me, that was a year we drafted strictly by need and not BPA. At least not the first two rounds. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I disagreed with those two picks. As a matter of fact, I’m looking for both those guys to step up their games in their third year in the league.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Neither Burns nor Davis were considered “reach” picks at the time...they were drafted precisely where most evaluations predicted that they would be...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whoever said Evans isn't truly athletic is smokin the crack pipe.
    Trolls are people too.