Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel McCullers re-signs with Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Daniel McCullers re-signs with Steelers

Daniel McCullers re-signs with Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper on March 22, 2018, 2:37 PM EDT

The Steelers are bringing back defensive lineman Daniel McCullers.

McCullers hit unrestricted free agency last week, but will remain in Pittsburgh for at least one more year. Agent Chad Speck announced that his client agreed to a deal on Thursday.

McCullers joined the Steelers as a sixth-round pick in the 2014 draft and played in 42 games during his first four NFL seasons. He had 28 tackles and 1.5 sacks in those appearances, almost all of which came as a reserve on the interior of the defensive line.

With McCullers back, the Steelers have all six defensive linemen who saw time for them last season under contract for the 2018 season as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/22/daniel-mccullers-re-signs-with-steelers/
    "The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...and boy, did he strike!" -Myron Cope

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They can't all be splash signings, right? lol. Of course Big Dan would literally make a bigger splash than just about anybody. Would be nice to at least see him on the field this year if he's going to tie up a roster spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

LMAO. He must be Tomlins love child or related to Mean Joe Greene
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    They can't all be splash signings, right? lol. Of course Big Dan would literally make a bigger splash than just about anybody. Would be nice to at least see him on the field this year if he's going to tie up a roster spot.
    Well, teams have to designate 7 players as inactive every week, so he's there as insurance in case one of the other 5 DL ahead of him get hurt. And re-signing him now doesn't necessarily mean he makes the 53 man roster coming out of camp. I'm assuming it's a vet minimum deal with likely no (or very little) signing bonus.

It should be a similar situation to bringing back Touissaint. The team will likely add a both RB and d-lineman at some point in this upcoming draft, and Fitzy and Big Dan will have to battle it out with those rookies in order to remain on the team in 2018.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Well, teams have to designate 7 players as inactive every week, so he's there as insurance in case one of the other 5 DL ahead of him get hurt. And re-signing him now doesn't necessarily mean he makes the 53 man roster coming out of camp. I'm assuming it's a vet minimum deal with likely no (or very little) signing bonus.

It should be a similar situation to bringing back Touissaint. The team will likely add a both RB and d-lineman at some point in this upcoming draft, and Fitzy and Big Dan will have to battle it out with those rookies in order to remain on the team in 2018.
    For the most part, I was making a joke "Splash"... but am serious about his seeing the field this year. You are right on all accounts though.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well, now we're the favorite to win the Super Bowl, for sure!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign McCullers

Posted 8 minutes ago

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The team is keeping Daniel McCullers in black and gold.

The Steelers secured depth on their defensive line by signing Daniel McCullers to a new one-year contract. McCullers was an unrestricted free agent.

McCullers was drafted by the Steelers in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He has seen limited action in his four seasons, playing in 42 games with one start. He has 28 total tackles, one and a half sacks, and a pass defense.

McCullers played in five games in 2017, inactive for 10 of them. He finished the season with one tackle.

McCullers has previously stated the key for him is working on different aspects of his game, in particular the mental side of it.

“I want to continue to work on the fundamentals, my techniques, and the mental game,” said McCullers. “That is a big part of the league. You have to make sure you are mentally right for every game. I want to work on that. It can be tough at times, the mental part.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-4/Steelers-sign-McCullers/3184ed58-bc67-445b-bf81-f7d876c8450d

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Steelers sign McCullers

Posted 8 minutes ago

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The team is keeping Daniel McCullers in black and gold.

The Steelers secured depth on their defensive line by signing Daniel McCullers to a new one-year contract. McCullers was an unrestricted free agent.

McCullers was drafted by the Steelers in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He has seen limited action in his four seasons, playing in 42 games with one start. He has 28 total tackles, one and a half sacks, and a pass defense.

McCullers played in five games in 2017, inactive for 10 of them. He finished the season with one tackle.

McCullers has previously stated the key for him is working on different aspects of his game, in particular the mental side of it.

“I want to continue to work on the fundamentals, my techniques, and the mental game,” said McCullers. “That is a big part of the league. You have to make sure you are mentally right for every game. I want to work on that. It can be tough at times, the mental part.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-4/Steelers-sign-McCullers/3184ed58-bc67-445b-bf81-f7d876c8450d
    I get that the game can be mentally taxing, but having to work on being mentally ready after 4 years in the league is a bit concerning to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not a bad move. Provide a known quantity with cost certainty moving forward

As frustrated as we all our with the focus on his size and our expectations, he isn't a bad back up piece for the interior line

Backup

User Info Menu

Championship, LOL. We could put a 47 year old Kimo Von Oelhoffen in that position and he'd be better than Big Dan, IMO.