Thread: Ron Cook: Steelers could have had Bell AND Mathieu (how?)

Legend

User Info Menu

Ron Cook: Steelers could have had Bell AND Mathieu (how?)

"Steelers blew it ..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/r...s/201803190040

First he says:
    ... there is no way they could fit him under their salary cap unless they pulled back their franchise tag on Le’Veon Bell and allowed him to become a free agent ...
    Then he says:
    ... I wouldn’t have pulled back his franchise tag in order to sign Mathieu ...
    What’s sad is the Steelers didn’t have to pull it. They could have had both players.
    I'm probably missing something here but he seems inconsistent. More to the point, if he is right that we could have gotten Mathieu without pulling Bell's franchise tag ... how?

Thanks for any clarification!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ron Cook is an ass. He’s all about the click bait.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Cook is talking about 2 different time periods. The first was immediately following the release of Mathieu and how he thought the Steelers could not get him w/o pulling back the tag on Bell based on what people thought his salary demands might be.

The second time period follows Mathieu signing a 1 year deal with the Texans for $7M which was a lot less than most thought he'd sign for. So when he says they wouldn't have had to pull the tag on Bell; he's saying he thinks the Steelers could have finessed the salary cap (extensions, contract re-dos, additional cuts) and had both Mathieu and Bell for at least the 2018 season and taken their shot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Actually, I think we could of signed Mathieu. His contract was 7 M or something like that, right? We have 6.5, just short of 7 M, could of dut Willcox an raised another 3M...

Backup

User Info Menu

The longer he goes unsigned, I wonder what it would take to sign Eric Reid? None of the reports I've seen indicate he was any kind of problem, other than the fact that he knelt alongside Kaep. Honey Badger received less than was expected. Is it safe to assume Reid's price tag is dropping as well? Would love to see him in a Steelers uniform.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ron Cook is an ass. He’s all about the click bait.
    Good post...It's all about creating a story when there is none with some of these reporters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wonder if Cook will be doing a re-write after today?
    2024 Mock Draft 1.0

#20 -- JC Latham, OT Alabama
    #51 -- Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    #84 -- Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida
    #98 -- Javon Bullard, S, Georgia
    #119 -- Payton Wilson, LB, NC State
    #178 -- Micah Abraham, CB, Marshall
    #195 -- Khristian Boyd, DL, Northern Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Wonder if Cook will be doing a re-write after today?
    Yeah right. That guy is already working on his “Rudolph should be our pick because Ben is done” article

He never looks back.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"