Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Next Year's Offseason be Different (i.e. Un-Steelers like)?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Could Next Year's Offseason be Different (i.e. Un-Steelers like)?

If we do not sign Bell to a long term deal this year, I think we might be shaping up for an interesting, un-Steelers like off-season next year.

Bell's tag would come off the books and free up $14.5M.
    Shazier's contact will also come off the books and free up $8.7M.

That means that we'd have $23.2M in cap space next year. If we can get adequate replacements at ILB and FS this year, that seems like a lot of room to play with to bring in a RB. Maybe enough to make a big time UFA signing.

It seems silly to bank on the Steelers making a splash at UFA. I was thinking that this year might be different, but they'd have to let Bell walk for that. I wonder when the last time we were in a position with that much cap space and what we did with it. Maybe the Steelers are looking to next year as a reason not to blow their wad in UFA this year.

Does anyone know:
    1) Which Steelers have 1 - 2 years left on their contracts? This might give us an idea on the Steelers' first priority (sign our own guys); and
    2) Are there any big name players who might be around in UFA next year?

If there aren't too many internal guys that we need to resign, I wonder if we'd have room for a monster UFA add to set the team up for Ben's last year or two. If we went RB on the cheap, maybe we could use some room to get an impact player in the secondary (CB?) or replace Dupree if we let him walk after next season.

It's very much against the Steelers way, but with Ben's contract ending having more cap room than usual might allow the Steelers to mortgage the future to put the best team possible on the field for the end of Ben's career.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is a pretty good summary of the available knowledge:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...lers/cap/2019/

It look like 26 people assumed under contract (including Bud Dupree, but since they haven't picked up his 5th year option as of yet, no $ value has been assigned)...

It looks like about $37 million, but you still have to field a team of 53...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

could be real interesting after this year.

wouldn't be surprised if we go into rebuilding mode.

we also have to pay a few players on D next year.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Bell isn't on the team it's a rebuild? Stop Feltz. Please.

Your really sounding ridiculous.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This is a pretty good summary of the available knowledge:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...lers/cap/2019/

It look like 26 people assumed under contract (including Bud Dupree, but since they haven't picked up his 5th year option as of yet, no $ value has been assigned)...

It looks like about $37 million, but you still have to field a team of 53...
    Thanks for the link.

If I'm doing this right, it looks like the 26 on contract are generally our best players (except for Bell) and gives us most of a starting roster.

We'd need the following players to have a starting roster: RB, G, ILB (assuming Big Red isn't a starter), FS. If we assume that we pick up an ILB and FS in the draft this year, then we're looking for 2 starters.

On O:
    2 QB: Ben, Dobbs
    2 WR: Brown, JJSS
    1 TE: Vance (JJ would probably be fairly cheap to bring back or replace with draft pick)
    1 RB: Connor (Clear need, add in UFA or draft), Nix
    OL: Both tackles + DeCastro + Pouncy. + Hawkins (Will need a starting guard).

Needs: Starting RB + G

On D:
    DE: Tuitt & Heyward
    DT: Hargrave
    ILB: Bostic?, Matakevich (will probably bring back Vince and draft someone high this year. If this year's pick works out maybe let Vince walk and move Bostic to Buck?)
    OLB: Watt, DuPree, Adams (probably add an edge this year or next)
    CB: Burns, Sutton, Allen, Haden ($10M, so maybe he'd be a potential cut if he declines this year), Crawford.
    SS: Davis
    FS: No One. (We need to add a FS this year).

Needs: Starting ILB + FS

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

IIRC, we had a good bit of $$ under the cap after the 2016 season, going into 2017 - something like $32M. Did we do much differently then?

Interesting article on where the money goes:
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/15/steelers-2017-salary-cap-how-much-room-contracts-space-nfl-injured-reserve-dead-money-offense-defense-money-spent/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    If Bell isn't on the team it's a rebuild? Stop Feltz. Please.

Your really sounding ridiculous.
    After next year..

No Bell, No Dupree, No Bryant.. and Haden might not make sense at that price.

We wont be able to win 12 games a year forever.

We probably need a year or 2 to reload.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    After next year..

No Bell, No Dupree, No Bryant.. and Haden might not make sense at that price.

We wont be able to win 12 games a year forever.

We probably need a year or 2 to reload.
    I think that getting a reasonable RB solution wouldn't be too expensive. It's not Bell, but it's not a reason to start the rebuild.

I don't think losing Bryant is a big deal. We didn't use him much this year and have been pretty good at finding late round WRs that can contribute in the 3WR spot.

We will need to find someone to contribute on the edge. The best case here is that Dupree plays well this year and we can bring him back. The numbers are probably reasonable unless he has an unreal season.

If we have more cap space than usual, maybe we can bring in someone at CB. Or maybe we draft someone early.

I think that there is no way that we enter a rebuild while Ben is still on the roster. If we have more cap space than usual, maybe we use that to sign an impact UFA and extend some guys so we get a bunch of dead money after Ben leaves.

If we did want to rebuild and Ben still wants to play, then I think we try to trade him to a contender and pick up a bunch of draft picks to accelerate the process.

But, its the Steelers. So, the most likely outcome is that it will be business as usual and they'll keep signing good UFAs after the excitment dies down. They'll draft more good players than bad players with premium picks. And they'll do what they can to stay competitive in the present without selling the future.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think that getting a reasonable RB solution wouldn't be too expensive. It's not Bell, but it's not a reason to start the rebuild.

I don't think losing Bryant is a big deal. We didn't use him much this year and have been pretty good at finding late round WRs that can contribute in the 3WR spot.

We will need to find someone to contribute on the edge. The best case here is that Dupree plays well this year and we can bring him back. The numbers are probably reasonable unless he has an unreal season.

If we have more cap space than usual, maybe we can bring in someone at CB. Or maybe we draft someone early.

I think that there is no way that we enter a rebuild while Ben is still on the roster. If we have more cap space than usual, maybe we use that to sign an impact UFA and extend some guys so we get a bunch of dead money after Ben leaves.

If we did want to rebuild and Ben still wants to play, then I think we try to trade him to a contender and pick up a bunch of draft picks to accelerate the process.

But, its the Steelers. So, the most likely outcome is that it will be business as usual and they'll keep signing good UFAs after the excitment dies down. They'll draft more good players than bad players with premium picks. And they'll do what they can to stay competitive in the present without selling the future.
    Thank you North. We have Juju inplace of Bryant. Haden isn't going anywhere. And Dupree leaving could be addition by subtraction . Hahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Need to hit big on this draft......
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.