Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell

Starter

User Info Menu

Brown was worth every dime we spent on him. Wish we could have kept him. His leaving shows nothing with respect to whether his long term $$$$$ contract was worth it. It was still a great offer and acceptance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Better send a letter to the Steelers brass cause the salary cap has been waaay skewed to the offense in the last 5 yrs.
    And getting a new QB is probably the only way to make it even (and we probably shouldn't do that)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And getting a new QB is probably the only way to make it even (and we probably shouldn't do that)
    I think the 2 best times with franchise QBs are
    1) on rookie deals
    2) at the end of long deals where inflation of the cap makes their deal cheaper than when they signed.

We did all in 1, but missed in 2.

Need some luck now paying an older QB market value on a short deal where he'll never end up being under market.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Better send a letter to the Steelers brass cause the salary cap has been waaay skewed to the offense in the last 5 yrs.
    I suspect that every team with a franchise quality, HoF QB has their salary cap skewed to the offense. Perhaps we should send a mass mailing letter to all the "brass" in the NFL.

Not sure why you think this is a Steelers issue

Legend

User Info Menu

Teams always did and always will pay big money to skilled positioned players whether you agree or disagree. Skilled position players are needed to help teams win games.
    This is just wrong.
    SB WINNING teams DONT PAY elite backs or receivers in recent years.

When team's have elite players regardless of position they should try to keep them (within reason).
    Not teams that win championships. What "current" elite receiver or back has a ring?

I don't believe it's money that's poorly spent if those players help teams win games.
    I like elite players at every position. On rookie deals. I just see that paying "big bucks" to elite skill players doesnt work.
    We did not pay Bell and his backup replaced him and we scored over 50 more points on offense than with Bell.

During Bells entire career the Steeler backs with the most rushing scores in a season are DeAngelo and Conner.

We have paid Bell more than the entire Pats backfield. Who has the rings?

This is the point. If you have no cap.....sure pay regardless position.
    But you have finite dollars. When you pay elite receiver money or overpay a running back......you CANT sign free agent players at more important positions.

We try to pay our own regardless position and generally pursue 2nd tier free agents. THAT is a mistake.

When I said we should not sign Brown someone said "who should we sign"?
    I said Stephon Gilmore......who signed that same year with the Pats who NEVER PAY wide receivers.

He was the best player in the SB.....or was it the MVP receiver who is NOT NEAR the talent, headache or the accolades of Brown?

And before you claim the Pats as the exception......who has beaten them recently in a postseason and won a SB?

Eagles, Broncos, Ravens, Giants.....not a one got a HOF talent at skill positions......we had TWO and get OWNED by the Pats.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-19-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

I said Stephon Gilmore......who signed that same year with the Pats who NEVER PAY wide receivers.

He was the best player in the SB.....
    Gilmore is an absolute stud, wouldn't he have looked good at CB opposite Haden the last couple of seasons?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This is just wrong.
    SB WINNING teams DONT PAY elite backs or receivers in recent years.

Not teams that win championships. What "current" elite receiver or back has a ring?

I like elite players at every position. On rookie deals. I just see that paying "big bucks" to elite skill players doesnt work.
    We did not pay Bell and his backup replaced him and we scored over 50 more points on offense than with Bell.

During Bells entire career the Steeler backs with the most rushing scores in a season are DeAngelo and Conner.

We have paid Bell more than the entire Pats backfield. Who has the rings?

This is the point. If you have no cap.....sure pay regardless position.
    But you have finite dollars. When you pay elite receiver money or overpay a running back......you CANT sign free agent players at more important positions.

We try to pay our own regardless position and generally pursue 2nd tier free agents. THAT is a mistake.

He was the best player in the SB.....or was it the MVP receiver who is NOT NEAR the talent, headache or the accolades of Brown?

And before you claim the Pats as the exception......who has beaten them recently in a postseason and won a SB?

Eagles, Broncos, Ravens, Giants.....not a one got a HOF talent at skill positions......we had TWO and get OWNED by the Pats.
    I guess it depends how one defines "big money" and elite players. Eddleman and Gronk were paid a lot of money. Other Pats skill positions players were paid. It helps that they have Brady. Brady plays at a less than market deal. Probably because he is paid in other ways by the ownership. As always there is some shady business going on up there in NE. The foul nature and depth of the deal between NE and Brady will probably come under more scrutiny after he retires.

It's not simply about winning the Superbowl. It's about winning games and having the opportunity to compete for the Superbowl.

There's more than one way to build successful teams in the NFL. There are skill positions players in the HOF that won championships. There are skill positions players in the HOF that didn't win any championships.

Building winning teams isn't an easy process. There are many variables involved. At the end of the day there's more than one formula that wins games and the Superbowl. Your philosophy isn't the only way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I guess it depends how one defines "big money" and elite players. Eddleman and Gronk were paid a lot of money. Other Pats skill positions players were paid. It helps that they have Brady. Brady plays at a less than market deal. Probably because he is paid in other ways by the ownership. As always there is some shady business going on up there in NE. The foul nature and depth of the deal between NE and Brady will probably come under more scrutiny after he retires.

It's not simply about winning the Superbowl. It's about winning games and having the opportunity to compete for the Superbowl.

There's more than one way to build successful teams in the NFL. There are skill positions players in the HOF that won championships. There are skill positions players in the HOF that didn't win any championships.

Building winning teams isn't an easy process. There are many variables involved. At the end of the day there's more than one formula that wins games and the Superbowl. Your philosophy isn't the only way.
    In “recent” seasons what has been the trend? Sure historically you are correct. The 90s, the Cowboys are the opposite of what I promote and had great success. Lately? Not so much. Last team dominated by high paid elite skill players to win it all is the Rams. Juju was in kindergarten when it happened.

Look at this RB list of future HOF locks QBs as examples, there are 4 with multiple rings.

1. Ben played an elite starter in Bell- Parker started SB victories.
    2. Eli played with the best RB in Giants history (Tiki Barber). He has 2 rings.......after the elite back was gone.
    3. Peyton’s most prolific back was Edgerin James but has 2 rings with bums at the position.
    4. Brady has as many rings as the other 3 combined and has never paid top dollar for an elite back.

The only one of the bunch with a ring paying elite money to a skill player is Peyton with M. Harrison.
    I would suggest Bob Sanders was MUCH more key to that ring than Marvin was.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Try this exercise by contrast.
    Steelers
    Patriots
    Colts
    Ravens
    Broncos
    Seahawks
    Buccaneers
    Even the Saints

Name the best DB on those recent teams.......Think about it, how many rings.....THAT is money well spent.

You wanna know why the “evil genius” pursues elite DB talent and is cheap as heck when paying backs and receivers?

People, it ain’t a coincidence that the Pats NEVER PAY those positions. I laughed when people “feared” Bell would wind up there. The Pats would NEVER pay either Bell or Brown.

They see the pattern, not just with them, but league wide.

The most underrated piece of the Pats success is that they are the only team that has mastered:

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-19-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

Respectfully, I will disagree with you and side with the Captain. Look at who's won the Super Bowl over the last 10 years; the way the Captain has shown is exactly how they are winning Super Bowls. That is "the way" it's being done now for a very long time.

And also, after winning 10 games every year (for 10 years) , and usually getting to the playoffs, to never even make a Super Bowl, ...at some point, it IS about winning a Super Bowl; especially if you have a franchise QB in his final years. That's why the Saints have pushed their chips to the center of the table to get a Super Bowl because Brees is winding down his career as well.

We have a more then good enough offense to win a Super Bowl; now let's see (hope) our defense can now step up and fulfill it's part.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.