Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Case for Chase.

Legend

User Info Menu

A Case for Chase.

Yes the dude ain't perfect. But come on guys the kid is raw. But look at the kids HIGHS.

Despite his flaws, Chase Claypool:

1. Lead the team in TDs last season.
    2. Leads the team in total TDs over two seasons.
    3. Has the longest reception since he was drafted.
    4. Broke franchise rookie record for receptions.
    5. Tied franchise rookie record for TDs.
    6. Has the most multiple touchdown games since he was drafted.
    7. Has the most 100 yard receiving games since he was drafted.
    8. Has the highest single game yardage in the last two seasons.

IT HAPPENED LAST WEEK PEOPLE. His 130 yards LAST WEEK AGAINST THE BRONCOS are the most by a STEELER receiver since he was drafted.

HOW IN THE WORLD IS YOUR MEMORY SO SHORT????

Get this my friends.

When Chase Claypool had four TDs in the Eagles game last season:

Not only was that a franchise ROOKIE record...

THE LAST TIME ANY STEELER SCORED 4 TDs IN A GAME PREDATES THE HIRE OF CHUCK NOLL.

Franco, Swann, Stallworth, Bettis, Brown, Bell...NEVER DID THIS!!!!

Before you guys talk about giving up a kid who is in only his SECOND SEASON I suggest you recall....

We had another 2nd year receiver enduring growing pains before.

LAST SEASON HALF OF YA'LL WANTED JOHNSON GONE.

Now you act like the dude is Antonio Brown!!!

You guys are hilarious.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; Yesterday at 10:40 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fans like to overreact. Chase will be fine.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seriously, HOW IN THE WORLD IS YOUR MEMORY SO SHORT????

Chase had 130 and a TD LAST WEEK!!! That is a CAREER HIGH for Johnson.

THE LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME WHERE A RECEIVER HAD OVER 130 YARDS IT WAS ANTONIO BROWNS LAST GAME AS A STEELER BEFORE HE WENT-

LOCO.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; Yesterday at 10:49 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I get that he's raw, and flashes brilliantly at times ... disappointing part is how long it's taking him to improve.

I have to wonder about the coaching ... do we have anyone who can coach him up and help him to progress faster?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I get that he's raw, and flashes brilliantly at times ... disappointing part is how long it's taking him to improve.

I have to wonder about the coaching ... do we have anyone who can coach him up and help him to progress faster?
    Yep. Inconsistent. Frequently shutdown by lesser DBs. Johnson is outplaying him.... a guy defenses have to respect. The other Chase is outplaying him as a rookie.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep.

It's not surprising that he's inconsistent because he was pretty raw coming out of college.

He's the WR version of Bud Dupree.

But I get the frustration (and have it myself) because I feel like he should be more Hulk and less Banner on contested balls.

I think it will come for him, but it's hard to be patient...and I can envision him breaking out in year 4 and being super expensive to retain so we let him walk (like Dupree).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; Yesterday at 11:10 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yep. Inconsistent. Frequently shutdown by lesser DBs. Johnson is outplaying him.... a guy defenses have to respect. The other Chase is outplaying him as a rookie.
    I think there at least 2 reasons Johnson is outplaying him (and is a better WR).

1) Johnson is frequently touted as being an elite route runner. He gets the kind of separation that Ben likes.
    2) Johnson is Ben's security blanket in the WR group because when it doubt throw it to the guy who's most likely to be open (he did the same with AB).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; Yesterday at 11:16 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Also since he's Canadian and my 4 year old is obsessed with Paw Patrol (created by Canadians)

If you don't have any connection to Paw Patrol, you probably won't get this. But my 4 year old was watching the beginning of the game last night.

After a bit she turns to me and says "I really like the commercials in this show (meaning the game)".

I asked her "Why?".

I get a huge smile and the response "Because they keep saying Liberty all the time."

There's a new pup in the movie called Liberty...and the number of Liberty Mutual commercials during football games equals approximately infinity.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; Yesterday at 11:15 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    OK, you got me Claypool was setting team records I admit Johnson was a LEAGUE LEADER.

DUDE LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...g_advanced.htm

Seems that means he was pretty INCONSISTENT in season two. Just like Claypool.

Seems that turned out OK in season 3 as you are bragging about how dominant he is now.

Patience my friend. Patience.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    OK, you got me Claypool was setting team records I admit Johnson was a LEAGUE LEADER.

DUDE LEAD THE NFL IN DROPS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...g_advanced.htm

Seems that means he was pretty INCONSISTENT in season two. Just like Claypool.

Seems that turned out OK in season 3 as you are bragging about how dominant he is now.

Patience my friend. Patience.
    Iím with you.

I do think the criticism is fair at this point just given CCís size/speed/athleticism combo.

He plays smaller and slower that his measurables. And sometimes I think heís too nice for football and lack the killer instinct.

Itís ok and is what it is. I still think heíll get better and he sometimes flashes and if he never lives up to the full potential of his flashes, thatís ok and heís still gonna be good. But those flashes are teasing us and putting out expectations sky high.

I really do think if Ben can start going to Pat 10-20 yards down the middle, it will make everyoneís life easier. Less defenders in the box, more room to run, and more 1 on 1 matchups on the outside.