Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you are established on a team, it shouldn't make too big a difference if you work out elsewhere as long as you show up to the mandatory work in the proper shape to perform well.

However, if you are new to a team, it makes sense to attend the voluntary OTA sessions to pick up the new offensive or defensive system prior to training camp.
    I’ve never heard a team suffer because of an absence during OTA’s in May.

It’s great for the media and obsessed football fans to talk about and try and turn into something but it’s not a big deal.

No one is going to point to OTA’s a week from now once minicamp starts and day it made a difference in the offense or defense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Iíve never heard a team suffer because of an absence during OTAís in May.

Itís great for the media and obsessed football fans to talk about and try and turn into something but itís not a big deal.

No one is going to point to OTAís a week from now once minicamp starts and day it made a difference in the offense or defense.
    If OTA's are as unimportant as you say they are, then why do they have them?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If OTA's are as unimportant as you say they are, then why do they have them?
    For players who want to be there. It’s primarily for younger players who want:need to get up to speed.

If it was really important it would be mandatory.

It’s part of the CBA. There is no punishment for missing OTA’s.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    It’s primarily for younger players who want:need to get up to speed.
    Or for players who are new to a team. You'd think it would be important for them to get up to speed in a new situation.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Or for players who are new to a team. You'd think it would be important for them to get up to speed in a new situation.
    and I repeat.

No one will care about this in a week or 2 wants minicamp starts.

It’s June 3rd.

The only reason it’s an issue is because the media gets access to the team and tried to turn it into a story.

Happens every year and once camp starts it’s long forgotten.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not a big deal that Tom Brady doesn't attend OTA's. He knows the system frontwards and backward already and will arrive to training camp in the shape he needs to be in. It wouldn't be a big deal if Bell or OBJ didn't attend OTA's either if they were still with the Steelers and Giants, respectively, but it's different when you go to a new team. Even though you are a professional and know how to keep your body in the proper shape to function throughout camp and into the season, every team has little things that you need to get accustomed to before actual camp starts.

Bush, Johnson, Layne, Snell, Gentry, Sutton, Buggs, Gilbert, and Gray will certainly get more out of OTA's than Roethlisberger, Foster, Hayward, Haden, Pouncey, DeCastro, Villanueva, Tuitt, and Williams. Those vets really don't need to be here (hence the voluntary nature), but I would expect new incoming vets like Nelson, Barron, and Moncrief to be here from the first day they are eligible to do so, in order to accommodate and adapt to the way that we do things here, which is likely quite different from what they are used to with the Chiefs, Rams, Bucs, Jags, or Colts.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

It's not a big deal that Tom Brady doesn't attend OTA's. He knows the system frontwards and backward already and will arrive to training camp in the shape he needs to be in. It wouldn't be a big deal if Bell or OBJ didn't attend OTA's either if they were still with the Steelers and Giants, respectively, but it's different when you go to a new team. Even though you are a professional and know how to keep your body in the proper shape to function throughout camp and into the season, every team has little things that you need to get accustomed to before actual camp starts.

Bush, Johnson, Layne, Snell, Gentry, Sutton, Buggs, Gilbert, and Gray will certainly get more out of OTA's than Roethlisberger, Foster, Hayward, Haden, Pouncey, DeCastro, Villanueva, Tuitt, and Williams. Those vets really don't need to be here (hence the voluntary nature), but I would expect new incoming vets like Nelson, Barron, and Moncrief to be here from the first day they are eligible to do so, in order to accommodate and adapt to the way that we do things here, which is likely quite different from what they are used to with the Chiefs, Rams, Bucs, Jags, or Colts.
    The whole “if they truly cared” they would be here is overblown.

Legend

User Info Menu

In some cases I think it's a symptom of 'me' attitude in a player.
    Also, with the CBA limiting so many aspects of preseason the importance I think is increasing. Especially for a team like the Steelers with a mix of vets and youngsters. All about the team building.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    In some cases I think it's a symptom of 'me' attitude in a player.
    Also, with the CBA limiting so many aspects of preseason the importance I think is increasing. Especially for a team like the Steelers with a mix of vets and youngsters. All about the team building.
    I agree ; shows an “ all in” mentality by everyone early on
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Le’Veon Bell: I picture this scheme being amazing for me
    Posted by Josh Alper on June 4, 2019, 2:00 PM EDT

Le'Veon Bell got his first taste of practice with the Jets as they opened their mandatory minicamp on Tuesday.

Jets head coach Adam Gase said before the session that the team would be “selective” with Bell’s workload after he skipped voluntary work this offseason. Reporters who attended the practice confirmed that was the case as Bell saw limited reps in team drills.

After the session, Bell said he likes what he’s seen of Gase’s scheme thus far. He said he pictures “this scheme being amazing for me” and that it offers him even more opportunities than he had with the Steelers. Bell also said that his relationship with Gase is “great” when asked about reports that Gase thought the Jets gave Bell too big a contract in free agency.

The Jets will close out their offseason program with more organized team activities next week, but Bell will not be with them as he will resume working out on his own during those voluntary practices. He said he will “definitely be ready” for training camp and he’ll presumably be given more to do on the practice field once he shows that’s the case.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.