Page 71 of 79 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Dude, at this level of football , no qb can constantly run. It’s a sure heatlh hazard. If you as a coach are saying your qb is going to run over 139 times this year, it is a condemnation of his passing skills. He can’t read defenses.
    I agree with Maniac on the first statement. A running QB is a death sentence in the NFL.
    BUT, a 'scrambling' QB can give a defense fits.
    The difference is a 'run' is designed, a scramble is a QB trying to make some yards.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree with Maniac on the first statement. A running QB is a death sentence in the NFL.
    BUT, a 'scrambling' QB can give a defense fits.
    The difference is a 'run' is designed, a scramble is a QB trying to make some yards.
    Was it Hines that pointed out this difference between Stewart and Ben?

Something like it's nice to have a QB that keeps his eyes down field when he breaks the pocket.

Legend

User Info Menu

Stephen Jones: RB market re-set with Le’Veon Bell deal

Posted by Josh Alper on August 6, 2019

When discussing Ezekiel Elliott‘s next contract in February, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said that the deal the Rams struck with Todd Gurley is “probably where it starts” for negotiations with Elliott.

Jones seems to feel a bit differently now. Gurley’s average annual salary is $14.375 million, but Le'Veon Bell signed a deal with the Jets that calls for average salaries of $13.125 million since those comments. Bell also got $10 million less in guaranteed money than Gurley, which is how his name came up in a question for Jones during an appearance on 105.3 The Fan Tuesday.

Jones was asked if he regrets intimating that the team would be using Gurley’s contract as a jumping off point in Elliott talks and his answer touched on the Bell deal reshaping the playing field for running back contracts.

“No, I still think that’s within the realm. At the same time, I think the market re-set with Le’Veon,” Jones said. “I think you see what happens with Gurley and you get a great player like Le’Veon, who’s every bit as well thought of as Gurley and he had unfettered free agency. He had 32 teams with no draft picks attached, and the market was $13.5 million . . . less than Gurley’s. At the end of the day, business changes, and we pay attention to that.”

Jones was asked if the difference between the two deals was so great, even at the actual figures, that the team would risk going into next season without Elliott. Jones said the team’s made a “very generous” offer to the running back, although it’s clear Elliott doesn’t agree that it is as generous as it should be and he likely wouldn’t agree with being comped to Bell rather than Gurley either.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eon-bell-deal/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

With all the extra stuff they put in contracts I have no idea which one is better.

Gurley makes kore than Bell but if they both hit all their incentives Bell makes more.

I think it comes down to Zeke making more than both for it to be a good deal.. lol.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    but if they both hit all their incentives Bell makes more.
    Sounds like the type of thing that Bell turned down and sat out a year for. He wanted guarantees, not a performance based contract.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Sounds like the type of thing that Bell turned down and sat out a year for. He wanted guarantees, not a performance based contract.
    It would be interesting if some news outlet would post some kind of average %age of UFA contracts earned by players every year.

My guess is that big ticket UFAs generally miss out on substantial amounts of their total contract value.

I think this info would be useful to players since they pay agent commissions based on full contract value.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-07-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    he has both, I’m sure he would like it all guaranteed but what team is going to do that?

Legend

User Info Menu

.....I’m sure he would like it all guaranteed but what team is going to do that?
    No team...which is why he aint a Steeler...he needed to lose a year of pay and reach free agency to figure that out.

That Bell.....dude is:

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

he has both, I’m sure he would like it all guaranteed but what team is going to do that?
    He didn't get what he wanted though, which was to reset the market for a dual-threat running back. I don't care how you crunch the numbers, he had to settle for the deal with the Jets and could have done just as good or better with a better team in the Steelers. I don't fault him for trying.

But there's always a team willing to give a stupid contract with both guaranteed money and crazy numbers in a specific situation. Just look at WR Michael Thomas getting 5 yr, $100M w/$61M guaranteed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    He didn't get what he wanted though, which was to reset the market for a dual-threat running back. I don't care how you crunch the numbers, he had to settle for the deal with the Jets and could have done just as good or better with a better team in the Steelers. I don't fault him for trying.

But there's always a team willing to give a stupid contract with both guaranteed money and crazy numbers in a specific situation. Just look at WR Michael Thomas getting 5 yr, $100M w/$61M guaranteed.
    He didn’t reset the market but he got a nice contract with more guaranteed money than we offered. He can also try and squeeze one more decent contract after this one if he can stays healthy and productive.