Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    It's possible. But I think everywhere that talks about the potential of using the transition tag uses Bell (or Bell's agent) as a source. Apparently they said the Steelers told them this during negotiations.

So I think it's still the same year old rumor. But, writing new stories about it still drives clicks.
    I have to disagree based on this...it's not Bell's people: Read below:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac reports the Steelers are considering using the transition tag on Le'Veon Bell in an effort to trade him.

To be frank, this line of thought does not make much sense. Bell would first have to sign the transition tag for any trade to be completed, locking him into another one-year deal at likely less money than the one he walked away from last season. He could sign a long-term deal with his new team, but that would require something of a leap of faith. Furthermore, teams are allowed to negotiate and agree to offer sheets with transition tagged players. Once that happens, the Steelers would either have to match, which they reportedly have no interest in doing, or receive zero compensation. It is likely Pittsburgh will have to settle for a compensatory pick in 2020 as compensation for Bell.
    Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gerry Dulac is getting that from the Steelers management side. I don't think it's about "clicks" with him.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 02-08-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell's got himself a Mercedes! (Dollson)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You don't transition him in the first place if your not considering the match then sign n trade. They have to be considering that or it's moot.

Legend

User Info Menu

No need for anyone to have to drop 10 mil a year on Bell.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...to-mike-weber/

Legend

User Info Menu

Management is going to transition tag Bell........they are not letting him walk and get nothing for their asset. I don't blame them.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...e-for-star-rb/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Management is going to transition tag Bell........they are not letting him walk and get nothing for their asset. I don't blame them.

It's great if they could make something like this work. But I don't see why a team would trade for him when it seems pretty unlikely that the Steelers would match any deal that has a signing bonus in it.

If I wanted Bell on my team, I would just submit an offer when he was on the transition tag. Assuming I understand the salary cap constraints, I think the Steelers would be foolish to match it and then try to trade Bell. If we did that, I think we'd be in the same position as we are with Brown. We'd have to eat the whole signing bonus in the first year of the deal and the team we'd be trading him to would only be responsible for his annual salary (and any future roster / workout bonuses).

So I don't see how the strategy of matching and trading is anything but an empty threat.

And we can't trade him on the tag deal unless he signs it. I don't think he'd sign a transition tag when he just sat out a whole year refusing to sign a franchise tag.

I'd be all for it if we could get an asset back for Bell. But, I don't see how that can happen.

Maybe you can explain how you think it would go down? I tried to explain why I think it would be a bad idea above.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    It's great if they could make something like this work. But I don't see why a team would trade for him when it seems pretty unlikely that the Steelers would match any deal that has a signing bonus in it.

If I wanted Bell on my team, I would just submit an offer when he was on the transition tag. Assuming I understand the salary cap constraints, I think the Steelers would be foolish to match it and then try to trade Bell. If we did that, I think we'd be in the same position as we are with Brown. We'd have to eat the whole signing bonus in the first year of the deal and the team we'd be trading him to would only be responsible for his annual salary (and any future roster / workout bonuses).

So I don't see how the strategy of matching and trading is anything but an empty threat.

And we can't trade him on the tag deal unless he signs it. I don't think he'd sign a transition tag when he just sat out a whole year refusing to sign a franchise tag.

I'd be all for it if we could get an asset back for Bell. But, I don't see how that can happen.

Maybe you can explain how you think it would go down? I tried to explain why I think it would be a bad idea above.
    I have to agree in large part with your take NB. I really don't understand the Steelers FO at this point. LB isn't going to sign off on a trade, no team is going to give them anything when they know they can put a poison pill in place in order to get LB, and they will end up removing the tag.

This just seems to be the most immature, chest thumping, false bravado that WE ARE IN CONTROL NOT YOU LeVeon.

What a waste of time and it rings as impudent/hollow.

Now today in the PG there is an article that says that advanced analytics that the Steelers missed LB, a lot

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201902140182

The Steelers FO doesn't seem to have much of a strategy on how to handle these guys other than keep on saying "WE HAVE THE POWER"

Well color me unimpressed (not that they care about what I think)...

brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

This is a bit like the minority ownership letter story you posted about before.

Here is the Dulac article all of these things reference to: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201902140185

The article basically says: "The Steelers appear to still be interested in tagging Bell, but it's a bad idea for many reasons."

There is no source given for tagging Bell in the Dulac article. But, he references back to another article he wrote last week where he says "The Steelers might still place the transition tag on running back Le’Veon Bell, but it is likely with the intention of trading him and not because they want him for another season, according to sources."

That's more like the other report where it's apparently second hand information from unnamed sources.
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201902070124

Again, maybe it's true but the article doesn't provide any support that it's true.

And I don't know how you can say he's not about the clicks when he wrote these two stories a week apart and they both same the same thing and that thing is mostly speculation and unconfirmed rumors.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, before everyone jumps on management for not knowing the situation, let's consider some other things.

1) Antonio Brown was not asking for a trade many months ago
    2) The Steelers may have reconsidered Bell's value to the team

So, you're Art Rooney II, Colbert and Mike Tomlin, you now have two disgruntled stars wanting out but you have some leverage with one (Brown) and none with the other (Bell). Could the Steelers be thinking in the following manner, let's trade Brown for a bag of chips if it comes to that but that's doubtful, I think they'll get a 2nd or 3rd, maybe a 4ht and 5th or something similar, so now you shed Brown. Bell's best offer is 15.5 million per year for 4 years with 25 guaranteed. I doubt he gets the 17 he's looking for, so I think a total deal of about 61 million is probably out there. The Steelers match and keep Bell, lose Brown, Conner is the lead back and Bell is your 2nd back and slot receiver, he's on the filed for nearly every offensive play, he's explosive and protects the ball. Conner gets the lion's share of the carriers, Bell takes what's left and gets 100 plus targets, to help ease the double teams on Juju.

Take the emotion out of it and see if there is a scenario in which Bell stays, Brown is gone and the Steelers are a better team. Maybe Bell has burned this bridge but it doesn't appear to be the case based on rumors and reports coming from the Steelers.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan (Greedy Williams, CB, LSU)
    3.66 - Deebo Samuel, WR, S. Carolina
    3.83 -
    4.122 - Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
    5.142 - Mike Edward, S/Slot, Kentucky
    6.175 - Alex Bars, G, Notre Dame
    6.192 - Demarcus Christmas, DT/NT, Fla. St.
    7.219 - Travis Fulgham, WR, ODU
    UDFA - Fox/Bailey/Wishnowsky, P