Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Schefter: Steelers May Still Use Transition Tag On LeÂ’Veon Bell

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on February 3, 2019

The Le’Veon Bell saga isn’t over just yet. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Pittsburgh Steelers are “still considering” placing the transition tag on Bell. From Schefter:

“Pittsburgh’s decision depends on how much another team would value Bell and whether the Steelers would be willing to match the offer sheet.”

During the regular season, Bell told ESPNÂ’s Jeremy Fowler the Steelers told Bell they would transition him should the two sides not hammer out a long-term deal. Bell skipped all of 2018 in response. As Schefter notes, the value of the tag would become murky.

“There also is a battle brewing between the NFL and and NFL Players Association over the value of what the transition tag would be on Bell if the Steelers did use it. Bell and the NFLPA will argue that the transition tag is close to $14.5 million based on the escalating value of tags, and the Steelers and the NFL will say it’s closer to $9.5 million because Bell sat out this past season.”

ItÂ’s difficult to see Pittsburgh being able to retain Bell should they transition him. Matching a contract seems unlikely for two big reasons. One, other teams are going to offer more, the Steelers have already given their best offer, and two, most organizations structure their deals differently than Pittsburgh, offering more guaranteed money.

If they ultimately tag and lose him, theyÂ’ll have wasted time and tied up money. They also wonÂ’t receive compensatory value like they would if they let him test free agency (where they can still compete to bring him back, by the way).

February 19th marks the first day teams can use the transition or franchise tag on players. The deadline to do so is March 5th at 4 PM. Should the Steelers go that route, it wouldnÂ’t be the first time under Kevin Colbert theyÂ’ve transitioned a player. Max Starks and Jason Worilds received such a designation in 2008 and 2014, respectively. Click here for a full list of tagged players in franchise history.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/sc...n-leveon-bell/

Here are my thoughts,

1) Bell lost the bet on himself. His value dropped. Teams are weary to have another Gurley ( great player, but he has been out all of the playoffs). Even the Jets, who were linked to Bell, claim that they won't go broke for Bell.

2) I am not against this if it nets us a draft pick this year, even if they get a high 4th and a 5th. ( Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't compensations picks added after the last picks in that round, between the rounds, before the next round starts). So a compensation pick in the 3rd round is really is a high pick in the 4th.

3) We do have the rolled over cap space from last year to be tied up, to keep Bell rights. I doubt we will be aggressive in FA, we will go on with the Steeler approach to FA, so again we won't go bonkers and need all that $$$ And if we are aggressive in FA, it might cancel out losing Bell's comp picks in FA. And if we see there are no teams, we can always pull it to free up cap space. The question is though if we do pull the transaction tag do we get compensation for losing him in FA.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are correct about the comp picks however if we sign a f/a or 2 that could offset the loss of Bell. No guarantee a high comp pick or any comp pick for that matter. We would be better off matching and keeping him or trading him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think using the transition tag would be a terrible idea.

I don't think we're going to match a market value offer anyway and I'd rather we had the flexibility of the extra cap space when there are still good players available.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think using the transition tag would be a terrible idea.

I don't think we're going to match a market value offer anyway and I'd rather we had the flexibility of the extra cap space when there are still good players available.
    I don't really see any advantage to using the transition tag, unless they really want to sign Bell there is no upside.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am just keeping all options open, never know , if there is a team "that is not a preferred choice of destination", like Buffalo, who wants to get in the Bell sweepstakes, and only way is gain his rights from us.

But for this to work we need to have a gentleman's agreement before we tag him.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't really see any advantage to using the transition tag, unless they really want to sign Bell there is no upside.
    The advantage would be after we match we trade him or keep him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    The advantage would be after we match we trade him or keep him.
    The problem is the price of the tag it's going to be huge, it would be tough to trade.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    The problem is the price of the tag it's going to be huge, it would be tough to trade.
    If someone makes that big money offer that is obviously the team who likes bell n we hope they would give up a pick for him as well once we match. Jets would be a team that comes to mind just to name one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    If someone makes that big money offer that is obviously the team who likes bell n we hope they would give up a pick for him as well once we match. Jets would be a team that comes to mind just to name one.
    I see what you are saying, that could be a possible angle.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Big Gamble to get what pick in return? I just can't wrap my head around this. I guess more then one team could offer up picks once the Steelers matched the offer from which ever team. Only see doing this if you want to keep him. But why at the money it's going to take. At least Gurley money.
    What does that say to Conner?