Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    That is his point MOS. People said that when we drafted Ben, Slappy is making the point that "they" were proven wrong so judging a QB by his conference is not smart.
    Did people rally say that?

I wasnt on the Trib yet but most people I knew just said “who? How do you say his name?”

I always felt like the MAC was that one mid major conference that everyone accepted when it came to draft.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

"If you spoke with ten different scouts you would get at least four different opinions about him. I've just seen too many of those system quarterbacks struggle to make it in the league so I'm hesitant to buy in. He has gotten better this year." -- NFC team regional scout

Concerns:
    Field-side outs will be a challenge.
    Needs to throw with better timing and placement on comeback and outs.
    Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket.
    Has had ball security issues as a starter.

This IS NOT who I want the Steelers taking in round 1.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    "If you spoke with ten different scouts you would get at least four different opinions about him. I've just seen too many of those system quarterbacks struggle to make it in the league so I'm hesitant to buy in. He has gotten better this year." -- NFC team regional scout

Concerns:
    Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket.

I completely agree with this.
    2024 Mock Draft 3.0

Trade back for an extra 2nd round pick
    1) Graham Barton, C/OT, Duke
    2a) Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia
    2b) Luke Ohorhorro, DL, Clemson
    3) Kiran Amegadje, OT, Yale
    4) Jayden Hicks, S, Washington St
    6a) Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa
    6b) Tip Reiman, TE, Illinois

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Concerns:

One thing folks need to remember is PITT played OKState these last 2 years. Narduzzi refuses to give his CB’s help and left them stranded on islands and these WR’s absolutely torched PITT.

It wasnt due to Rudolph throwing anyone open or picking apart a good D. Pretty sure he threw for 1000 yards in those 2 games.

It was disgustig to watch.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers don't draft need in Rd one unless it grades out that way.

Colbert doesn't like the ILB class at the top. Enter Bostic.

LVE & Evans gone..James & Harrison gone...OR...Maybe the BPA will be QB.

BB said 3 more years. So let's say he plays EVERY game over next 3 years & retires. MR would start as 25 year old Jackson as a 23. 3 years experience behind BB with 1 year & an option year left. Hmmmmmm.

Look at at it from FO. They "Expect" to be SB contenders over those 3. So they will be drafting 25 or worse...Its not often you get a Rich QB class like this year & have possible franchise guys that late. Big Picture..Makes Sense.

If Steelers go back to back..Does anyone besides me see BB calling it on Top? A QB now possibly transition right to life after BB instead of a fall off? I definitely would consider.

BB style over years more than likely won't give you Brady, Brees, Manning Longevity. It's very difficult to gauge how a players body is responding. Only BB knows...And the Steelers. We may find out too come draft day.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mason Rudolph will be better than Josh Allen

However, Rudolph could easily be compared to Landry Jones...not in that he is definitely going to suck, its just we dont know all that much about him considering a) the offense he played in and 2) the TERRIBLE big 12 defenses he played against

Legend

User Info Menu

QB MASON RUDOLPH Oklahoma St. Big 12

6'5"
    Height

32 3/8"
    Arm Length

235 LBS.
    Weight

9 1/8"
    Hands

Overview
    Like many prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft, Rudolph grew up in a football family. His father, Brett, played at North Carolina in the 1980s. His brother, Logan, is a top 200 recruit that committed to play outside linebacker for Clemson starting in 2017. That background and support helped him excel in high school, where he was a finalist for South Carolina's Mr. Football Award as a senior (4,377 passing yards, 64 touchdowns, eight interceptions). It was expected that Rudolph would take a redshirt in 2014, but the Cowboys' starter fell to injury late in the year. He played in three games, starting two, led the team to a comeback win over rival Oklahoma. Rudolph was OSU's MVP in 2015, starting 12 games (missing most of that year's Bedlam due to injury), completing 62.3 percent of his passes for 3,770 yards and 21 touchdowns and nine interceptions. In his junior campaign, Rudolph stood tall in the pocket and earned honorable mention all-conference honors, distributing the ball to either sideline, as well as down the field, for 4,091 yards (ranking eighth in the FBS) on a 63.4 completion rate with 28 touchdowns -- but throwing just four interceptions in the process. While Rudolph is a pocket passer, he also had six rushing touchdowns in 2016. Rudolph finished his career by winning the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Sammy Baugh Awards while earning second-team All-Big 12 recognition. He led the FBS with 377 passing yards per game (4,904 total), completing 65 percent of his passes, finishing among the nation's leader with 37 touchdowns while throwing just nine interceptions.

Analysis

Strengths
    Great size and stands tall in the pocket giving him his true height as a passer. Does a good job of letting routes develop and wide receivers clear traffic. Slides in pocket for clean launch points and is rarely a static target for rushers. Keeps eyes trained downfield when sliding around pocket. Got rid of the ball quicker and cut his sacks this year. Willing to throw in front of safeties and attack over top of linebackers in intermediate portion of field. Has steadily improved each season and showed full command of the offense this year. Saw 10 percent of his dropbacks turn into 25-plus yard completions. Puts air under his deep throws and gives receivers a chance to make plays. Reads safeties and moves to his progressions accordingly. Ran zone reads around endzone and finished with 17 rushing touchdowns during career. Willing to drop his head and go get what he needs.

Weaknesses
    Over-strides at times. Rarely drives lower body through the throw causing ball to sail and float. May not generate enough velocity to beat ball-hawking corners who strangle passing windows. Field-side outs will be a challenge. Needs throws to stay on schedule. Needs to throw with better timing and placement on comeback and outs. Defaults to off-platform throws when he has time to step and deliver. Ball placement and decision making can run askew when forced to scramble from pocket. Ball will come out wobbly at times. Inexperienced as rollout passer. Benefitted from ball-winning targets downfield. Wasn't asked to get through many progressions in the offense. Has had ball security issues as a starter.

Draft Projection
    Rounds 2-3

Sources Tell Us

NFL Comparison
    Christian Ponder

Bottom Line
    Pocket quarterback with good size who has shown consistent improvement as a passer. Rudolph is more of a downfield, play-action passer than a quarterback who can win with precision and arm strength. He's a capable field reader who has the ability to operate with timing which will be important since his arm can be dull at times. Rudolph could be an early backup with the potential of becoming an average to below average starter in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mason-rudolph?id=2559942
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Banned

User Info Menu

For the record, I hope we don't go QB. And I"m going to assume we don't.

I"m thinking now we have the option to now go safety with our first round pick. Bostic took some pressure off in that regard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dude has a 2nd or 3rd rd grade. Why are people talking pick 28?

I got wrapped up in QB talk last year. Nope. Not this year. We aren’t taking a QB in the first unless Lamar Jackson falls.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He doesn't have 2-3 Round Grade. Jackson & Rudolph are tied for Mayocks 5th QB. Both Mocked anywhere from mid 1st to 2nd.