Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landry Jones?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Landry Jones?

Can we afford to cut him and save a 1.9 million cap hit?
    Could we get by with Dobbs as the primary backup in the limited amount of work we've seen?
    Discuss

P.S. Feltdizz if you promise not to say anything racial i will un-ignore you......
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It all depends on where Dobbs is at in his development.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones makes improvements every year. He is a solid back up at this point. He gets no love here but I haven't seen anything from Dobbs yet that tells me he can take over #2.

Legend

User Info Menu

While Dobbs is the future I don’t think the Steelers are ready to make that move.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Backup

User Info Menu

If the Steelers take Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, as some of the recent mocks have it, then they may cut Landry loose. Otherwise, I think he's a pretty safe bet to be on the roster for the 2018 season.
    Trade Martavis Bryant for a 4th-round pick

1) Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
    2) Jessie Bates, FS, Wake Forest
    3) Dante Pettis, WR, Washington
    4) Ken Norton, DT, Miami
    5a) Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame
    5b) Dorance Armstrong Jr., OLB, Kansas
    7a) Will Dissly, TE, Washington
    7b) Brett Toth, OT, Army

UDFA: Quadree Henderson, WR, Pitt
    Colby Gossett, G, Appalachian St.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    While Dobbs is the future I don’t think the Steelers are ready to make that move.
    A future starter?

Legend

User Info Menu

This is Landry's contract year...I could see the Steelers making a final decision on his future with the team after seeing how Dobbs develops this year...he may simply be allowed to pursue free agency this year...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cutting Jones saves $1.9 million, with a $300k dead money hit on the cap. Jones is far from perfect, but I don't think you will find a replacement that is better for $1.6 million.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This is Landry's contract year...I could see the Steelers making a final decision on his future with the team after seeing how Dobbs develops this year...he may simply be allowed to pursue free agency this year...
    Don't get me wrong, I hope Dobbs shows future starter skills. But, right now Jones is the better QB. I'm not sure I agree with your assumption. It depends on what Ben is saying. If Ben is talking 1-2 more years and we don't draft a QB...I think Jones and Dobbs are safe.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dobbs showed some signs of knowing the O at camp n got the ball out quick repeatedly but didn't show as well in the preseason games. So to me he remains more unknown then known even a year after the draft. Should he have a great camp n great preseason he could close the gap between himself n Jones but that is what camp n preseason is for. For now we need to keep both.